just a quickie.. Ksyrium SLs or Fulcrum racing 1s?

dboden
dboden Posts: 349
edited April 2010 in Road buying advice
80kg - weekend club rides and the odd race.. (and the all important.. looks)

Comments please!

Thanks

Comments

• guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    Fulcrums.

They look and sound better.

Clickclickclickclickclick
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    SL's - heavy overpriced, Fulcrums - hard to get tyres on or off, its gotta be the Dura Ace 7850 SL- no contest
  • dbg
    SL's - heavy overpriced, Fulcrums - hard to get tyres on or off, its gotta be the Dura Ace 7850 SL- no contest
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Both are well-built and reliable. I replaced my worn-out SLs with a pair of Shamals which are near identical to the F1s with the exception of the spoke pattern. Shamals have a slightly less harsh ride in comparison to the Ksyriums - I only weigh 62kg so may be less of an issue for you. I went for the Shamals because of the bling gold finish that matches my bike.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • what brakes
    what brakes Posts: 328
    edited January 2010
    I have the fulcrum 1's, they look so good in person! the spokes are pretty wide blades which i think look really mean! I havent ridden em yet as i am changing my drive set etc and also waiting for the drier weather! Ive had the kyrsium elites before and the Fulcrums look and feel twice as good!

As to tyres! i have some rubbino folding tyres which were a little tight to fit but dcertainly not tight enough to need levers so cant be that bad! but i think it will depend wholey on what tyres you use!
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,571
    dbg wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    Mavic SL: 1480 gm a pair
    Dura Ace: 1514 gm a pair. Carbon are 1410 gm a pair.. but 30% more expensive than the Mavics. The "standard" Dura Ace are only 10% more expensive, while still being heavier. .

Don't get me wrong, DA are nice enough wheels, but light and great relative value they ain't!

I'd pick the Fulcrums anyway, but only because I like their looks most of the options..
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Dura Ace 7850 C24 CL...

Best clinchers I've tried...

Good VFM compared to the Mavics/Fulcrums, Lighter and less harsh ride whilst still being stiff. In fact, the ride on them is sublime!

1380grams and 500 quid -

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-and-road-bike-wheels/mavic-fulcrum-and-campagnolo-wheels/shimano-dura-ace-7850-cl-wheels.html
  • Anonymous
    dbg wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    Dura Ace: 1514 gm a pair. Carbon are 1410 gm a pair.. but 30% more expensive than the Mavics. The "standard" Dura Ace are only 10% more expensive, while still being heavier. .

Don't get me wrong, DA are nice enough wheels, but light and great relative value they ain't!
    I'd pick the Fulcrums anyway, but only because I like their looks most of the options..

WTF?
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I would go for the Fulcrums. They are great for heavier and more powerful riders. I would say that claims of getting tyres in and out of the rim are absolute rubbish as I have got the Fulcrum 3s and they are by far the easiest I’ve had and I have put Continentals, Vittorias and Michelins on them – never had to use a tyre lever on them to get them in, just my thumbs.

They are not the lightest at 1610g with skewers but they are perfect for UK roads I find.

They can also be found cheaper than the Dura-Aces by about £100 if you know where to look (absolutecycles on ebay).
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • dbg
    Sorry I meant the Dura Ace 7850 C24 CL not the SL, which at 1380g are way lighter than the Fulcrums and £500 at Merlin or £495 at CRC- they'd be the ones I'd pick, no hesitation.
  • akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    I have the fulcrum 1's, they look so good in person! the spokes are pretty wide blades which i think look really mean! I havent ridden em yet as i am changing my drive set etc and also waiting for the drier weather! Ive had the kyrsium elites before and the Fulcrums look and feel twice as good!

As to tyres! i have some rubbino folding tyres which were a little tight to fit but dcertainly not tight enough to need levers so cant be that bad! but i think it will depend wholey on what tyres you use!

they look mean, but also ride mean :lol: ...alloy spokes

never ridden them, but that's what i heard from racers. 2 way fit, that's another story, I run tubeless myself and it feels like a new frame.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Mavics are selaed bearings, Fulcrums cup/cone. Little difference in performance, but I prefer the sealed bearings - easy to change.
    My Fulcrum zeros are a b*stard to get tyres on. Don't underestimate this!
    My Mavics have lasted me years, I'd probably go for those if they are a similar price to the Fulcrums
  • APIII
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I would say that claims of getting tyres in and out of the rim are absolute rubbish as I have got the Fulcrum 3s and they are by far the easiest I’ve had and I have put Continentals, Vittorias and Michelins on them – never had to use a tyre lever on them to get them in, just my thumbs.

That's a bit ridiculous. Just because you have a set of Fulcrum 3's that are easy to get tyres on, the many, many others with Campag/Fulcrum wheels who've had issues are all making it up?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    My vote would be the Mavics, Ksyrium SLs are fine wheels. I have a pair seven years old, and still going strong with minimum maintenance.

Don't know about Fulcrums only the fact that apparently tyres are a bar steward to get on /off, which would be enough to put me off.
  • normanp
    normanp Posts: 279
    I have never had problems getting GP4000s on or off Fulcrum 1s - maybe it is down to technique? (ensure bead is well pushed to the centre)
  • gabriel959
    APIII wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I would say that claims of getting tyres in and out of the rim are absolute rubbish as I have got the Fulcrum 3s and they are by far the easiest I’ve had and I have put Continentals, Vittorias and Michelins on them – never had to use a tyre lever on them to get them in, just my thumbs.

That's a bit ridiculous. Just because you have a set of Fulcrum 3's that are easy to get tyres on, the many, many others with Campag/Fulcrum wheels who've had issues are all making it up?

That set and I have also changed tyres on a Racing 5 and Racing 7 set and never had a problem. Are you sure you are using the right technique?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    I have no issues at all putting tyres on my Fulcrum Zero's - I've never understood all the fuss!
  • gabriel959
    Really, I used to think my Ksyrium Equipes were an absolute pig but the other day a mate got some and he asked me if I could do his tyres and did them in less than 3 minutes each with my thumbs.

I've heard Eastons are a pig - I can't actually say as I haven't had any but after my experiences I would imagine a lot of it is due to not enough MTFU :lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Doc_79
    Doc_79 Posts: 29
    I bought a set of 09 brand new Racing 1's for £400 from Absolute Cycles including delivery when i got mine they had 15 sets, it may be worth giving them a call, really helpful and great service delivered the next day.

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Absolute- ... QQ_armrsZ1

For advice or information on any of our products call 01704840519

Ben
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Mavic SL's for me. Use for training and racing, also see quite a few at the start line.
  • dboden
    dboden Posts: 349
    Doc_79 wrote:
    I bought a set of 09 brand new Racing 1's for £400 from Absolute Cycles including delivery when i got mine they had 15 sets, it may be worth giving them a call, really helpful and great service delivered the next day.

Ben

Silly me.... No more fulcrum bargains on ebay anymore... not now!
  • gabriel959
    dboden wrote:
    Doc_79 wrote:

Ben

Silly me.... No more fulcrum bargains on ebay anymore... not now!

oh yes, just do a Best Offer of £400 and they will accept!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • i have fulcrums and love them. I weigh 95 kilos and have hit a scaffold plank at full tilt once, they were not even marked, stayed perfectly true. Good ride, nice and light.

Andy
  • APIII
    No, it's not technique. Open Paves, GP4000s, 4 seasons, EVO CXII's, etc, all come off the Mavics with one tyre lever and go on with fingers. To get these off my Fulcrums requires two strong levers and a lot of brute force. My only conclusion is that Fulcrums manufacturing tolerances are greater than Mavics (we all know you get variations in size)
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    not used my fulcrum 1s yet, but the conti gp4000s i put on were no problem at all
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • i have fulcrum zeros - getting GP4000s' on or off is incredibly easy, so i would guess the 1's are similar
  • Wheelspinner
    NapoleonD wrote:
    dbg wrote:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

WTF?

:D It may shock you to discover there are other lands beyond the rocky shores of Blighty. Places where Shimano products are not sold as cheaply. In both the US and Australia, for on line purchases, the Shimano CL 7850 wheels are anywhere from 10 to 30% more expensive than Mavic Ksyrium SL, and given the weight is negligibly different, anywhere from about 40 to 80 grams depending on which website you read, I don't see them as especially good value in those markets.

YMMV. I see Chain Reaction has BIG discounts on the Shimano wheels still (why? Not selling??), less so on the Mavics, but the RRP for the W7850 CL 24 is 700 quid a pair in the UK, and the Mavic SL is shown as 710. Not much different!

FWIW, my LBS, who is one of Shimano's favourite mechanics in this country, still advises (gently) against their wheelsets, and always suggests the Mavics first. He'll happily sell you the Shimano as they are good wheels, just that his experience is that customers have fewer issues with the Mavics. He also sells Fulcrum, Reynolds, Zipps, DT Swiss, and Campagnolo, or can make you a set from scratch. He just built himself a Pinarello Dogma 60.1, full Di2 groupset... with Mavic wheels.

On an off-topic note, what is it with you Brits of late? is the weather really getting to you all that badly? Seems to me a lot of the British correspondents on these pages recently appear to have completely lost all sense of humour, and are about as interested in alternative opinion as your average third world dictators.

Sincerely hope your weather improves soon so you lot can get out and enjoy a life.

:lol:
  • Anonymous
    I disagree. :o

Mine weighed 1384 when I had them...

Plus, I haven't a clue where your 'location' is and I can't be ar5ed to put it in google.

I used to have Ksyriums, they were great. Just not as good as the DAs...

I'm fed up and grouchy because this country can't cope with anything other than temperate climes.

If it snows we are at national standstill.

If it rains too much (!) we have floods

If it's too windy we get attacked by roof tiles

If it's too hot, Stuart Hall tells us to save water and bans us from using hose pipes.

If it's just right, people complain that we never have a proper summer and want to move to Spain.
  • Wheelspinner
    I'll save you the trouble.
    Sydney. Australia.

Coming from a country that has Greenwich located in it, at longitude zero, it shouldn't be all that tricky to deduce that somewhere 151 degrees east of that and a long way south of the Equator, might be in another part of the world?? :?

Just curious, if the Shimanos were so good, why did you get rid of them anyway?
  • Anonymous
    I'll save you the trouble.
    Sydney. Australia.

Coming from a country that has Greenwich located in it, at longitude zero, it shouldn't be all that tricky to deduce that somewhere 151 degrees east of that and a long way south of the Equator, might be in another part of the world?? :?

Just curious, if the Shimanos were so good, why did you get rid of them anyway?

To fund the Zipps