Fred whitton - gear ratio help!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2010 in Workshop
Hi Folks,

I am doing the Fred Whitton in the Lake district this year as one of my many bike and running races. my fitness levels are fine after a solid winter. I am however concerened about my gear ratio's. I cycled on my orbea all last year fine but bought an 09 5.5 Madone just before xmas when it was at a great price. It has a SRAM force double 53/39 with 11-26 cassette which i think will be a nightmare at the Fred. I was thinking of swapping for a compact 50/34 with 11-28 cassette?

My concerns are first will this be enough to get me round on the big big climbs, is there a more cost efficient way than just buying the whole lot new? My bike techie knowledge isnt fab!

Cheers

Yikes

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just put the cassette on the front and the chainrings on the back
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I know a guy who did inside 6.20 with a 39*23 bottom gear - personally 39*27 wasn't enough to get me all the way up Hardknott either of the times I rode it. Basically you for the FW as low a gear as possible is best - but I take the view is it worth spending shedloads changing gearing just for a one off event - I mean how often do you ride up a 1 in 3 after 100 miles of riding as hard as you can ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've ridden Hardknott on 39x23 - first time up, didn't know what was coming and it wasn't pretty! Don't really suggest it's a good idea after 100-odd miles and something like 34x26 or 27 is still going to need most to get out the saddle - plenty of time to train though!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    No way a standard double for me, I struggled on 34 x 27 last year...
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    bompington wrote:
    Just put the cassette on the front and the chainrings on the back

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tomsdad
    tomsdad Posts: 221
    ....................which i think will be a nightmare at the Fred. I was thinking of swapping for a compact 50/34 with 11-28 cassette?

Would this not involve also having to put a longer deraillier on?
    Don't quote me on this it's only a thought
    .There is a lot more people out there with more knowledge than me.!!
  • I thought it was bad enough with 30x26!

I don't think my knees would thank me for tackling Honister, Harknott or Wrynose (sp?) on either double or compact, and wonder if the 39x23 brigade just get themselves off the bike and jog up? Mucho impressed if they don't.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    tomsdad wrote:
    ....................which i think will be a nightmare at the Fred. I was thinking of swapping for a compact 50/34 with 11-28 cassette?

Would this not involve also having to put a longer deraillier on?
    Don't quote me on this it's only a thought
    .There is a lot more people out there with more knowledge than me.!!
    It will work with the standard mechs but care is needed to get the chain length right. This combination is well beyond the recomended max which is 50/34 with 12/25. 50/34 and 12/27 is fine but 11/28 may be pushing it.
  • tomsdad
    I was't sure but when I fitted a granny gear to my old bike I had to change the deraillier and alter chain length.(mind you it was a 32 tooth).I didn't want him to buy new cassette only to discover he would have to buy a new deraillier as well. :)
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I've ridden Hard Knott twice now and both times were on 34/50 and a 11-28.

Obviously it depends on fitness etc. but I think 34-27 is the minimum you'll need. Any higher and it will be tough. In other words, at 100 miles in, you've got to give yourself a chance of getting up it.

11-28 should be fine with a short cage mech (it is on two, no three, of my bikes). Just get the chain length correct then tweak the tension screw if you need more clearance.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I rode Wrynose East on the middle a couple of years back, BUT it was the first hill of the day, when I did The Fred 6 months later and a good deal fitter , I was on the Granny and I lost count of the number of times I looked for a lower gear on Hardknot. Low gears are a must for mere mortals . Don't forget on your certificate at the end you have to declare whether you walked or not.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • not practical to swap, but if you were all on triples you'd be able to cruise uphill with 30/27 and fly downhill with 52/12.
    Why anyone who rides in hilly country doesn't use a triple chainset, I have never understood.
    Dave
    the older i get, the faster i was.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Here goes again. A 33 tooth chain ring will fit on a compact crank. TA Specialties
    makes them. I've used one for years when in the big mountains.
    A 33-28 should get you up most everything. The 11 tooth is basically useless, but I don't think anyone makes a 12-28.
  • John C.
    dave noble wrote:
    not practical to swap, but if you were all on triples you'd be able to cruise uphill with 30/27 and fly downhill with 52/12.
    Why anyone who rides in hilly country doesn't use a triple chainset, I have never understood.
    Dave

My sentiments exactly :lol:

• tomsdad
    John C. wrote:
    dave noble wrote:
    not practical to swap, but if you were all on triples you'd be able to cruise uphill with 30/27 and fly downhill with 52/12.
    Dave

My sentiments exactly :lol:

It seems that by admiting to having a triple is akin to owning up to having a small willie !!!
    Yes I run a triple and no i'm not going to tell you. I'll show you if you want though !! :lol:
  • Yikes - you will probably think you could do with an extra gear when you are struggling up Hardknott, but if you say you are of good fitness (and I take it not carrying too many spare kilo's) you should be fine with a 34/27 or 34/28. I faced the same dilemma as you before my first FW, and ended up getting a compact to go with my 12-27.

Very ashamedly I have ground to a halt on the one steep section 3/4's of the way up both times I've done the Fred, and dont think having an extra gear would have helped.

Its a great sportive, so will be back to get up Hardknott and get my sub-7 hour time I just missed out on. Just not this year though. Good luck!
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    My FWC gearing is 36 chainring with 28 cassette.

This is the lowest acceptable gearing, any lower is cheating!
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    but did you get up HardKnott Leigh...?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • LeighB
    Yes, did the ride in 7:32 no walking.
  • mididoctors
    LeighB wrote:
    My FWC gearing is 36 chainring with 28 cassette.

This is the lowest acceptable gearing, any lower is cheating!

I suspect everyone thinks the gear they used was the lowest permissible..

for a start 39 is the smallest chain ring

:wink:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    LeighB wrote:
    Yes, did the ride in 7:32 no walking.

impressive

on a alu and steel giant that cost what?

£350 quid?
  • LeighB
    Yes I use a Giant SCR4 with aluminium frame and steel forks; I have had the bike for about three years and its given good service considering the low purchase price. The only mechanical parts I have had to replace are the chain/cassette, bottom bracket and rear wheel cones/bearings (had a few tyres and brake pads but I consider these to be consumables). I can honestly say any failure in performance is down to the rider, the bike is fine. It handles well, is reasonably comfortable and has up to now always got me home. The only disadvantage over higher spec bikes is the quality of components (but I can replace these with higher spec as they wear out) and it is a couple of pounds heavier (the heaviest component on the bike is the rider so I will work on this). Be under no illusion no matter what bike you ride with whatever gearing combination you choose the Fred Whitton is a very hard route and its training that counts; during last years ride I passed quite a few high end bikes with triple chain sets being walked up the steep bits!

Regarding Yikesman’s original question if you have a 39 x 26 on your bike and change the cassette to a 28 this is quite low gearing, my old Raleigh I use in the winter has 40 x 28 and I have been over Hardknott/Wrynose after a good few miles ok on this gearing.
  • 34/25 for me on the fred....i'll let you know if i get up HK an Wry after the Lakeland Loop and th Fred.

Maybe i should think about one of these 27/28 rear blocks?

I live in the area and always use 34/25 but not ridden HK or Wry on this gearing yet.
  • John C.
    As I said before I did Whrynose and Hardknott the other way round on the middle (42) ring. BUT I was fresh, on the FW I used my 30 granny with 25 and would have gone down further if I'd had them. Hardknott on the 100 mile mark is a completley different beast to Hardknott after just warming up.