Ladybower , clock wise or anti clock wise

bamba
bamba Posts: 856
edited February 2010 in Routes
Hello, had my second outting up here yesterday ,doing this route

map3-1.jpg

apart from getting a bit lost in the wooded area on the south most bank of the res an takin a short cut up hagg farm .
was wondering the best direction to do it in , been clockwise twice now, but noticed the 'classic' route is set the other way.
some of the climbs we've ended up walkin as not rideable, what the genaral thoughts or is it just personal preference ?
ps on a hard tail,so not too sure about some of the rockysteep decents, esp hagg farm one, although cope well with winestone to ladybower inn.

http://sportstracker.nokia.com/nts/work ... id=2015279

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46017485@N07/

Comments

• I've done the Figure of 8 anti clockwise route twice and love it.

The only section we really need to push is the track up from the res up into the woods. I think it's called screaming brakes (if you your going down it) or K2 going up. Plus a little bit on the way up to Hopes Cross (knackered by then).

The climb from the pub up to whinston tor is a great ascent and down from there is superb. The Hagg farm bermed section is also great.

We also start from Heathersage(?) car park not Fairholmes

Next time I want to try it clockwise as I can imagine some of the decents will be great but I can also imagine I will need to push it a little bit more.

I ride it on my Hardtail and I do the lot including the Beast.
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Looking just at the route shown above I would say anti-clockwise as the uphill sections would be more rideable. Hope you're enjoying it :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Been riding that area over 15 years and clock-wise definitely(unless you're a climbing nut) but you're missing out all the good stuff with that route :roll: You're missing out on a possible 3 classic descents!!!!(Beast,Blackley Hey and Suicide brake).Come out with us in a couple of weeks and we'll show you the best route :D
  • sniper68
    Bluemoon39 wrote:

The only section we really need to push is the track up from the res up into the woods. I think it's called screaming brakes (if you your going down it) or K2 going up.
    There's the Screaming mile and Suicide brake(K2)two very different tracks.The screaming mile starts from bridge end car park.Suicide brake(K2)/Gores heights is the one with the hair pin at the bottom and should be ridden down only 8) In 15 years of riding there i've only ever witnessed one person ride up it with no-dabs :roll: and i was walking/pushing alongside him :oops:
  • bamba
    what sort of date have you in mind ? i work shi77y shifts so my weekends are few spare.
    did screaming mile , not much to scream about though. think some one mentioned a while back it been killed off, bottom 1/3 rd or so now gravel
  • sniper68
    bamba wrote:
    what sort of date have you in mind ? i work shi77y shifts so my weekends are few spare.
    did screaming mile , not much to scream about though. think some one mentioned a while back it been killed off, bottom 1/3 rd or so now gravel
    Yeah we use it a s climb since the forestry guys butchered it.It'd probably be in mid-feb time?
  • bamba
    weekend or week day? mid feb 14th prob not the best date to go :lol: 20/21 feb ok for me ,unless week days possible ?
  • sniper68
    Week days at the mo' are out due to work,21st would be ideal 8) we're not racing snakes though so the pace is relaxed...with fast DHs 8)
  • bamba
    that sounds good,i'l pencil it in, get clearance form the OH an ask a few mates and get back to you over the weekend, cant see it being a problem
  • sniper68
    No worries 8)
  • bamba
    sent a pm about this sunday
  • Hi guy,s,
    I would be up for a ride around ladybower. been meaning to ride up there for years,but have,nt got a clue were to go, i,m from mansfield and ride up the pines when i can but its pants. If anyone is meeting up for a ride please let me know so i can so we can sort summat.
    many thanks
    Lee
  • Cheshley
    Don't wish to gatecrash, but any 'non-racing whippets' may be interested in this.....

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Er, digltal?...
  • bamba
    Cheshley wrote:
    Don't wish to gatecrash, but any 'non-racing whippets' may be interested in this.....

might do , next weekend fell through an itching to get back out, what the latest meeting time/place.
    sorry got bored trawling through trying to find it,
    will need to book day off ,mind
  • Cheshley
    bamba wrote:
    Cheshley wrote:

might do , next weekend fell through an itching to get back out, what the latest meeting time/place.
    sorry got bored trawling through trying to find it,
    will need to book day off ,mind

Sunday 28th Feb, meeting at Ladybower Visitor Centre (Fairholmes) at 9.30am for a 10am start. I should be parking on the upper level of the car park, old burgundy Vauxhall Omega with roof bars. Keep an eye on the thread a couple of days before as I'll be checking the weather forecast and if it's going to be hammering it down it probably won't happen.

Rich
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• sniper68
    Parking is now £4 at Fairholmes VC.Last car park on the right before Fairholmes is free :wink:
  • Cheshley
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Parking is now £4 at Fairholmes VC.Last car park on the right before Fairholmes is free :wink:

Agreed, but for the first time trying to get a group of people together the car park seemed a sensible choice.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• Hi guys, hate to gatecrash, but if you've got room for one more - I'd definately be up for meeting and a bash around ladybower. HT rider, so although slower on the decents, i should catch ya up on the accents! Im from Sheffield, but its hard finding other riders.Let us know if there's room for one more!

Cheers

Chris
  • bamba
    sorry guys, this ride out tomorrow got cancelled, going on the big ride out on 28th, look in rides