On-One Scandal 29er.

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited January 2010 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking into venturing into the world of big wheels, and the on-one scandal has caught my eye, looking at a build with the on-one carbon rigid forks.

Anyone out there that owns one?

I could do with some advice and eperiences from anyone who owns a 29er, mainly because I probably wont get the chance to ride one before I buy.

The bike caught my eye in the back of WMB in the buyers guide, however yet again WMB are publishing the wrong info. They list it as £920 with XT kit but you cant buy that, only an SLX kitted bike for £999!
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Prices do change lol.
  • My mate has one with full XT kit and rigid carbon forks.
    Makes a great all rounder,and is very fast.Ridden it myself,and was very impressed.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • scale20
    Yes but WMB are saying that I can get a scandal 29er with XT Cranks, mechs, shifters, and brakes £920 but I cant.

I looked at the on-one site and could only buy the bike with SLX kit for £999. I phoned on-one and was told I could have the XT kit as a custom build so the article in WMB doesn't ring true does it? or it's probably massively out of date.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • supersonic
    The magazine is usually compiled and finished 4-6 weeks before it hits the shops. If stuff changes in the meantime then it will be out of date. The info was correct when the bike was tested.

I will contact Matt and so he knows for the next issue.
  • scale20
    I'm still looking at getting one, wa just a bit dissapointing to see a bike with good kit at a good price just to find you cant have it :lol::lol:

Are there specific 29er sus forks you have to buy?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • supersonic
    Hehe.

Yes, you need 29er specific forks as they have lobger legs and different offsets. Reba, Tora are two models that have 29er options.
  • scale20
    Cheers, I though that they may be different.

So far I've only seen the scandal, I'm looking around now but any other sugestions on a 29er HT for between £1000 and £1500?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    Cheers, I though that they may be different.

So far I've only seen the scandal, I'm looking around now but any other sugestions on a 29er HT for between £1000 and £1500?

Singlar Swift - £400ish for frames and forks - a classic 29er, leaves you £1100 for full XT kit and some wheels - simples

http://www.singularcycles.com/
  • dan1502
    dan1502 Posts: 568
    I take delivery of my 29er tomorrow. It's a Kona Kula Deluxe 2008 model but unused. I can tell you what it's like but being completely new to mountain biking I doubt my opinion will be worth much to you. Whereabouts in North Wales are you and how long is it likely to be until you order one? The only reason I ask is that my folks live in North Wales so I may go over there fairly soon and if nearby you could check it out. It all depends when I get my cycle rack sorted though.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502
    I've just cross referenced the spec against mine and they're very similar. Three offers declined on it. I'd be tempted to offer pretty close to the buy it now remembering you only get three offers. That said I think it's probably worth the buy it now price as that's about what I paid for mine.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    I'm gonna order a Gary fisher xcaliber - great spec for the money
  • Giant now have a 29er XTC,lout within your budget.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • scale20
    I dont get on with the Gary fisher genesis goemetry so I have more or less put them on the back burner.

I do like that Giant there, already been doing some digging on it! Need to check out the sizing and find someone localy who has one in stock.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Don't forget the swift ;)
  • scale20
    Do you ride one?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    Do you ride one?

If I did it would be proudly in my Sig, or was that a rhetorical question?

My cousin had one (still has) and I have rode it a fair few times, so much so that I nearly bought one but had nowhere to put it as I had too many bikes at the time. Later in the year, I will probably buy one and get a 29er rigid SS up and running, for frame AND forks, £420 is a great price.

They are lovely to ride, the rigid forks can be a little flexy, but they are gorgeous machines
  • Clok
    Clok Posts: 17
    Does On One sell Scandal complete bike as SS?
  • scale20
    On looking at the website i don't think they do however if you gave them a call I'm sure it could be done as a custom build.

Anyone know if on-one do finance options? Can't find owt on the site.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.