Riding technique

popstar
popstar Posts: 1,392
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
After watching this video ( http://vimeo.com/7448122 ), and noticing other people do it ... wondered what is it all about? I am sorry for being thick beginner, myself tried doing the same thing in corners+berms ... all I managed to do was just displace rear wheel from line and all it gave me is a little twitching into corner. I mean am sure I looked like cock lifting rear wheel off line? How is this called anyway? And how its done properly ... youtube or etc theory suggestion would be welcome for me to learn.
What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though

Comments

• RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    Its called drifting and in 90% of situations its slower than just taking the right line round the corner.

Its only really effective if the corner is very tight
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • popstar
    So that basically means a show-off? I only wonder why it took me so hard to drift back wheel on long sweeping corners. With shorter turns it wasn't much of a problem. :)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Thats sort of like drifting but he's doing it when he doesn't need to. Looks like he's just kicking up some dirt off the trail maybe to show off the camera technology which appears to be of good quality. I would say its poor technique he's displaying. :cry:
    Of no benifit to a competent rider. People tend to drift on off camber steep corners and alot of them tend to be pros that carry it off well. Others end up in the shrubs.. :oops:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    looks a bit like a 90 hop he's doing on some of the corners, not good technique, and drifitng damges the trail and your tyres
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Second what the others have said, he's just showing off really. The key to riding berms etc. fast is keeping your weight central on the bike, elbows out legs slightly bent. This stance gives you space to move around the bike and keeps the front wheel on the ground massively aiding traction and steering.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • popstar
    Hmmm ... nice info coming on skillz :D . I guess not many bikers achieve that high level in order to drift on kerbs. Guess thats where peeps start moaning about softness of the frame?