Gisburn forest

woodenman
woodenman Posts: 60
edited January 2010 in Routes
Ok so going to gisburn trail centre sunday with 2 mates all pretty much beginners with half decent fitness. were all riding hardtails gt avalanche, gt aggresor 1 and carrera fury 08. Just wondering whats it like there???
Is the red route do-able this time of year for average riders?
Any important things we need to know as it really is our first 'proper' ride?
Whats peoples recommendations? (apart from usual spare tubes,levers,multi tool etc)
tx guys

Comments

• You'll be fine on hardtails, We go on ours.
    It's techy enough to keep your mind busy but not scary enough to put you off.
    I believe it's only bad on the top half of the loop towards whelpstone crag.
    Youtube it for vids, there's tons.
    Most off all, just go and enjoy it :D
    Caz xx
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    As Caz says, hardtails are fine. The top section of the upper loop is a bit muddy and chewed up in places, all rideable except for one short section. Take it easy, there are a few bits you need to concentrate on. The rocky staircase at the end of the tight twisty bit through the trees can upset some people. The boardwalk sections are pretty grippy. The section at the far end of the top loop is worthy of respec where all the big rocks poke up. The other section to be careful on is Hully Gully, gigantic berms, it's a bit rutted and muddy between them. Hully Gully is after the sandy berms and short section of uphill fireroad, there is quite a drop into it off the fireroad.

We're digging adding some new trail on Sunday so say hello if you see us (there'll be a load of parked cars on one the fireroads).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • cheers guys, have noted your replies and look forward to sundays ride. Although i will be taking it easy where you mentioned!!!!
  • stumpyjon
    Did you make it? Weather was great at Gisburn today, not a cloud in the sky.

• Well stumpyjohn, i can honestly say i had one of the best days riding in ages!
    Started from dog and partridge pub and rode up fire road took a left all way done and hooked up onto blue route, did the blue through dense forest with the tight speed burms(loved em) all way through where it meets red route.
    Road the red down by the water then all way up road and back through forest tight and technical but really good stuff(dark as hell in places lol), really enjoyed that section.
    Road the fire road back along saw all the cars parked up could hear you guys laughin in there! We then rode up to upper loop, fantastic views up there too!! some really tricky rocky sections but all good again. Absolutely loved the short black section with the mega high speed bends, was not expectin that!!
    The ride from there all way through forest and sweet singltrack was again spot on back to main fire road, was absolutely knackered by the end!!
    Weather was perfect too could not have been better.
    All in all a top day, keep up the good work guys!!!
  • woodenman
    You didn't happen to come across a guy looking lost and asking where to start did you? if so... that'd be me! haha!
  • stumpyjon
    and back through forest tight and technical but really good stuff(dark as hell in places lol), really enjoyed that section.

8) We built that bit 8)