Bikes on ferries to Corsica

halfmanhalfpint
halfmanhalfpint Posts: 2
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning to take the European Bike Express in June. Want to spend some time in Provence/Alps and at least a week touring Corsica.

Anyone got any experience of taking bikes on the ferries from mainland France to Corsica?
Which is the best boat to take? Where should I leave from? Do they charge for bikes?

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You've got a choice of departure and arrival points. SNCM sail from Marseille, Toulon and Nice to Bastia, Ajaccio and Propriano. Corsica Ferries sails from Toulon and Nice to Bastia, Ajaccio, Calvi and Ile Rousse.

I must admit in terms of customer service and comfort I'd happily sail with either one. Corisca ferries do more day sailings while SNCM do more night sailings - comparable in price with a hotel and good if you want to maximise riding time.

I've definitely seen people on bikes getting on and off the SNCM ferries, but as I was travelling with my bike in a bag I had no direct experience. But I'm sure the company websites will have the information you need.
  • I took my bike - no prolem. You just wheel it on.

Going from Nice to Bastia, my day-time ferry arrived there when it was still light.

Coming back I got a night ferry, which took longer. You are supoosed to pay about 11 euros or so for a sleeper seat. These aren't very comfy and I ended up on the floor anyway. Given the choice, I suggest going during daylight.

Some people just find a corner to sleep in, away from the sleeping/lounge area. These open places don't dim the lighting and you may find it noisy. The cabins seem pricey.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • andymiller
    cycladelic wrote:
    The cabins seem pricey.

IIRC about 50€ for a single. For me catching a day ferry would have meant staying overnight in Nice or Toulon so the cost of the cabin was worthwhile. Arrived bright and early ready to go.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    There are fast ferries and slow ferries. We've been from Nice twice, once with Corsica Ferries and once with SNCM, very similar level of service, both good, just go for whatever suits your timing and arrival/departure points. Watch out for SNCM being affected by strike action though.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I went a few times for work in the early 1990s. One of my all time favourite trips was sailing from Nice to Corsica late afternoon and being a few miles maybe more off shore just as sun was setting on the Alps behind bathing them in orange, pink, red light ....... the lights of the coastline twinkling like jewels - stunning. Then for the return crossing arriving Nice around dawn to see the Alps waking in crimson, pink, orange then full white majesty. The lights of Nice and the Cote D'Azur welcoming us home again. Again stunning. Reason why I made the crossings at these times was having to do a days work first and arriving dawn was able to get a full days work in once landing back at Nice. Fond memories of those crossings and times. There is something about the air and sky of the South of France, Corsica and Sardinia.

Incidentally one of the clients I was visiting on Corsica had a leopard in his huge barn to deter intruders :shock: . It worked. We had to remain in the car until the owner had restrained it.

Can't remember seeing any bikes on the ferries but can't say I was looking for any as on the occasions I crossed I was with car or van. But don't see that there would be any problem taking a bike on them. IIRC there were several tractors on one crossing.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • EricE
    EricE Posts: 61
    My brother and i used Corsica ferries for a tour of the island just before my son was born. We flew to Nice and pedalled to the ferry port in the centre of Nice. I had boked my tickets online and I seem to remember I had to book the bikes on too (can't remember the charge). Anyway, we just waited with all the other foot passengers and when it was time to board the crew waved us over to the car deck and we wheeled the bikes on and chained them up to the inside of the boat and that was that. No bother at all. It seemed to take about four hours to get to Bastia. I really recommend Corsica btw. The interior is deserted though so make sure you take some grub with you when up in the mountains. We loved the quiet roads and the great alpine like ascents. Every night we descended to the coast for an hours seaside action before finding a cheapish hotel and heading out for a chestnut beer. A magic place.
  • andymiller
    EricE wrote:
    The interior is deserted though so make sure you take some grub with you when up in the mountains. We loved the quiet roads and the great alpine like ascents. Every night we descended to the coast for an hours seaside action before finding a cheapish hotel and heading out for a chestnut beer. A magic place.

Sound advice about food. (And take plenty of cash - cash machines are pretty hard to find away from the coast and main towns).

And (IMO) the best beer is Pietra.