Disc vibration

TheRevOlutionary
TheRevOlutionary Posts: 1,176
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Not sure if this is an issue or not!?!

Have just upgraded my braking system to a Hayes Stroker Trail set from a poor Shimano setup. The lever & caliper set were pre-bled off the previous bike, but replaced the rotors at the same time from the centrelock to 6 bolt type. Went with a 'windcutter' lightweight disc on the front and it seems to vibrate at the end of the braking. Ie: it's fine to start but then can squeal and vibrate as you get to a stop. Is this characteristic of the windcutter style rotors because of the pattern, or is there a problem? I aligned the rotor up when replacing it, so it should be fine, and there's no obvious disc wobble when you spin the wheel.

I fitted them about 2 weeks ago and have done maybe 30miles with them since then, so do they maybe still need more time to bed in?
Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...

Comments

• konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Vibration can be hard to pin down. I once had the rear vibrating right up to my backside.

Even replaced the rear triangle bushes (which minimised it) but at the end of the day a pad change fixed it.

It definitely starts at the pad-disc interface however. Allow some more time to bed and if no luck try new pads, and if no luck either, new discs, and maybe upgrade to Shimano :lol:
    Giant Reign X1
  • UPgrade to Shimano??? :lol:

Wondered if the pads may be the issue, as I dont know what were in there. Are sintered harder on the disc? I only had organic on the Shimano and they were very soft.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• konadawg
    Sintered will take longer (maybe far longer) than normal pads to break in/bed. So allow some time. 30 miles is one ride's worth and depending on the terrain it may not be much braking at all, it has just taken me three good rides with a lot of deliberate braking to bed in my new front ones.
    Giant Reign X1
  • The pads were not new in the calipers, and Im not sure what type they are. Just wondered if they were harder? It would help explain the sqeak.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• konadawg
    If the backing is copper coloured (should be easy to see) then generally those are sintered pads.

Interesting, your "pads not new" comment.

Actually it's not the newness or otherwise of the pads that counts but the contact they make with the disc. If you were to take well bedded pads/discs and were to sand the disc face down, it's like starting afresh.
    Giant Reign X1
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of the disc?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • konadawg
    nicklouse wrote:
    pics of the disc?

From the description, I'd imagine plenty of air, framed by metal :lol:
    Giant Reign X1
  • nicklouse
    and i would say that the shape is what is giving the feel of vibration as the pads rock over the metal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mine do this at the front and back but only when im going really slowly and pushing the bike with the brakes still on
  • nicklouse wrote:
    and i would say that the shape is what is giving the feel of vibration as the pads rock over the metal.

I wondered this too, but it's only as you slow to a stop that it vibrates, otherwise it's fine.

1229246623.jpg

^^^ It was one of these type.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• nicklouse
    i would not worry it will be the shape.

as you slow down the frequency of the vibration will decrease and you will notice it.

as pads and disc wear in it may get less.
  • Thanks nicklouse 8)
    Newbie with a Felt Q720