How do you dress to go shopping ?

Fireblade96
Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Is wearing pyjamas to go shopping likely to cause offence, unjustly banned by the evil T-empire, or just plain weird ?

_47202032_tesconotice_282.jpg
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8484116.stm

What's next - banning lycra ?
:lol:
Misguided Idealist

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    You mean you don't wear lycra to bed?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    looks a little like Waynetta slob don't ya think.... lard imitating art?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ...to the right....

Was that not the question? :oops:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Blimey, that moaning cow has brought out the Daily Mail in me. Get a grip, you lazy, dumb slattern!
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    When I was a student we'd regularly go to sainsburys in dressing gowns and flip flops.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • biondino
    Yeah but students aren't people.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Does that include if you have jeans over your PJ bottoms.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Is wearing pyjamas to go shopping likely to cause offence, unjustly banned by the evil T-empire, or just plain weird ?

Keep up with the times - probably to stop this sort of caper. This seasons look (apparently.....)

underwear-as-outer-wear-6.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Fireblade96
    Rolf F wrote:

Keep up with the times - probably to stop this sort of caper. This seasons look (apparently.....)

underwear-as-outer-wear-6.jpg

Actually, bumping into young ladies dressed like that would brighten up my shopping experience :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Fireblade96
    biondino wrote:
    Blimey, that moaning cow has brought out the Daily Mail in me. Get a grip, you lazy, dumb slattern!

Quite. "But I only popped out for some fags. had I been doing the proper shopping for cheap diet coke and ready meals I'd have put on my jogging bottoms"

I shop in Waitrose. Where there is no need for this sort of notice.

:wink:
    Misguided Idealist
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Nope - after reading the article and listening to the audio there is much I could say, but I can't find a polite comment - so I won't fecking comment at all!

Benno68 reporting in from about 5 miles away from the Tesco Store in question :oops: :oops: :oops: I'm wondering if 5 miles away is far enough :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,538
    The Tesco store in question probably guessed that they won't lose many customers by doing this. However if they start trying to ban people in shell suits or with 'Dagenham cleavages', they'll be in biiiig trouble :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • biondino
    Am sure you all know this site, but just in case:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
  • I try to always go in my Borat stylee mankini......
  • Jeez, if you're leaving the house, maybe put some damn clothes on! Have these people no shame?

Re. the barefoot thing, several years ago myself and several friends were thrown out of the Tesco in Bury St Edmunds because some of us were shoeless. We tried to argue that we would wear a shoe each, there were enough to go round, but nooooooo.

Ahhh those were the days.
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    We live in casual times. When I look at some of the old clothes still in my wardrobe I find it hard to believe that I used to dress so formally.
    These days it's normally cheesy leisurewear for me m whatever I'm doing , even in the supermarket.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Oh, wos occuring?! I likes to goes shopping in St Mellons too, like.
    So wos it gorra do wiv them thats stoppin me, like.
    Anyways, I gorra nice pair o' jimmys, I haves. Tidy, like!
    Piktures of Suppa Ted and Fireman Sam, like.
    Reeeel Welsh hero, likes wor I is. Tidy!
    Uggy, Uggy, Uggy...OH, oh, oh, wos occuring?!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I regularly go to the Sainsbury's around the corner in my PJs.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Splottboy wrote:
    Oh, wos occuring?! I likes to goes shopping in St Mellons too, like...

:D:D:D

Watching the local news last night, it seems that a good number of complaints have been made by Tesco customers who found it embarassing. Dare I say it, the complainants probably work to pay their way in life, pay their taxes and bring their kids up well without leaching on the tx payers...oh...and still manage to get dressed to go shopping!

I'm proud to be Welsh, but feel like hiding away in the corner after listening to the audio on this thread :D

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    I must say I am quite surprised that people choose to go shopping in their pyjamas but I am more surprised that people find it so offensive. I assume we are talking of frumpy comfy pyjamas rather than anything revealing. Reading this story on the bbc news "have your say" page there were comments from people who claimed they would be mortally embarrassed to spot someone in their pyjamas whilst out and about, even saying "what if children were to see them?" :lol:
    If my kids spotted someone out in public wearing their pyjamas they would probably just laugh at them and ask
    "why is that strange lady wearing pyjamas to the shops?"
    To which I would reply,
    "because she is a lazy chav who is too lazy to get dressed son"
    :wink::wink:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    merkin wrote:
    I must say I am quite surprised that people choose to go shopping in their pyjamas but I am more surprised that people find it so offensive. I assume we are talking of frumpy comfy pyjamas rather than anything revealing. Reading this story on the bbc news "have your say" page there were comments from people who claimed they would be mortally embarrassed to spot someone in their pyjamas whilst out and about, even saying "what if children were to see them?" :lol:
    If my kids spotted someone out in public wearing their pyjamas they would probably just laugh at them and ask
    To which I would reply,

I take it that your username is nothing to do with what you wear to Tescos.

No I DON'T WANT TO KNOW.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    :shock:
  • Big Wib
    Big Wib Posts: 363
    jimmypippa wrote:
    merkin wrote:
    To which I would reply,

I take it that your username is nothing to do with what you wear to Tescos.

No I DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

:lol::lol: spluttered my drink everywhere

[then went & checked that it meant what i thought. it did. but worth looking on dictionary.com for the ads]
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

Funny enough, I was not going to bother changing out of my bike gear before going shopping at Tesco tonight, but then I looked at my grit caked legs, holy t-shirt and mangy shoes, thought of this story, and thought better of it.
  • prj45 wrote:

Funny enough, I was not going to bother changing out of my bike gear before going shopping at Tesco tonight, but then I looked at my grit caked legs, holy t-shirt and mangy shoes, thought of this story, and thought better of it.

At least if you had gone in without changing, you could reasonably have said you were on your way back from something that 'required' you to look like that. Can't think of any scenario where someone would be 'on their way back' from an activity that entailed wearing pyjamas.

Also (getting a bit judgmental here :wink: ) looking obviously like a cyclist suggests energy, get-up-&-go, making an effort in life. Whereas being out in pyjamas in the middle of the day suggests 1) having been rudely awakened from the Jeremy Kyle show or 2) the local care home has lost a resident.