I've invented a new chain lube

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited January 2010 in MTB general
The other day I noticed my free sample bottle of Squirt was still in the shed and it had frozen solid, so I took it indoors and let it thaw out.

Because it's water-based, even after it had thawed it was still thick like a heavyweight oil. In fact it was so thick I was able to put it on the chain like a bead of instant gasket but it dispersed overnight and surprise surprise it is working rather well.

It seems that freezing the lube has changed the consistency and made it more suitable for winter conditions.

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    very nice!
    try this for a 100 % natural, home made wax based lube....
    melt put a candle in a old glass, not too mmuch, but some, it works best with scented candles, as they tend to be softer, and generally work better. put it (the glass with candle in it) into a pan of boiling water, and wait for the candle to melt, then add about about 2/5 of the amount of molten wax of sunflower oil. wait for itall to to melt together.
    if you want you can now add some of your fave teflon dry lube for a bit of extra slippyness. most of all add a good squirt of clear, cheapo honey.... it acts as a binder.....
    now add about 1/3 isopropyl alcohol.
    pour it ino an old glass bottle, and put that into a mug of boiling water, after a minuit or so, take the bottle out, and being carful not to burn ur self, shake it super thoughaly for a minuite or two, you want it to be super well blended.....
    keep doing this as it slowly cools, put it in the water, take it out, shake.....
    the idea is to stop the was from solidifying and sinking, it will seperate, but the wax wont be a solid lump, it will look like a disgusting goo, if you do it ritght......
    now stor it for a few days, before repeating the heating, shaking and cooling process.
    if you did it right you will have thick gloop with a layer of thin er yellow/gold stuff on top, give it a good shake and put it into a good despencing bottle.
    shake super thougharly before use, and apply it to a clean chain, as per usual. it will hit the cold chain, and gloop up a bit and look all messy, but let it work in for a miuit, and spin the chain a few times.... then wipe the exess of with a clean rag.... the IPA evarporates, and leaves a lovely, slippery, non sticky layer behind, it lasts well, and is very clean.. it comes off with a bit of hot water and is very easy to clean...
    works grewat!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    man! i spellt all that badly! its amazing what happens to your grammer, spelling, and general english when your in a rush!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    josh: Hardcore :)
  • joshtp
    oh yes, im practicaly a award winning chemist....

:lol:
    it reminds me of the bit in "so long and thanks for all the fish" (the (3rd?) book in the douglas adams Hitchhiker's guide series)
    when arthur is in the pub explaining how he went to calafornia and they turned all his fat into gold......
    lol
    I like bikes and stuff
  • .blitz
    You've lost me now :)
  • I prefer finishline lubes.... A lot less hassle :lol:
  • joshtp
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I prefer finishline lubes.... A lot less hassle :lol:

ye, but is finishline made with that homemeade touch that only granny knows how?

I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    so youve both invented chain lubes using chain lubes?

im out.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    if only "other" lube worked :lol: my mates mum is a health worker and has boxes of the stuff, or she is just rather horny :lol:
  • blakef111
    blakef111 Posts: 374
    lawman wrote:
    if only "other" lube worked :lol: my mates mum is a health worker and has boxes of the stuff, or she is just rather horny :lol:
    1st dibs!
  • joshtp

im out.
    no, my lube has no other commersial lubricants in it at all, although , you can add some if you want......
    but mine is totaly natural, and could be made from houshold items.
    and, yes, before you ask i did used to be a blue peter presenter
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    silly me bought 3 pack of finishline cross country wet lube so it will quite a long time before i try anything else. tho ive got some white lightning dry lube i could freeze/thaw.

any photos of this home made up lube on the chain to see the self cleaning ability
  • joshtp
    ill try and take some pics of it tomorow........ it works very nicely though!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    I prefer finishline lubes.... A lot less hassle :lol:

I'm with him^^^

All that cooling and shaking is likely to lead to rsi or sumat :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

im out.
    no, my lube has no other commersial lubricants in it at all, although , you can add some if you want......
    and, yes, before you ask i am clown shoes
  • joshtp

im out.
    and, yes, before you ask i am clown shoes
    I like bikes and stuff
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    My mate uses Lynx Deodorant, He is an Idiot :lol:
  • bergie
    bergie Posts: 13
    i.Blitz
    Sent you a pm
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321