Classifieds and "bumping"

LardLover
LardLover Posts: 676
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
Does anyone else think this rule is utter nonsense and can't be policed properly:

Please do not 'bump' your posts back to the top of the board. This is very inconsiderate towards other users who are advertising. If you bump, we will just delete your post.

By simply saying an item is still for sale , or new pic added etc this is a way of bumping your ad back to the top and by default you are at risk of having your ad removed.

However, this rule often gets overlooked and is far more annoying imho:

If you have lots of items for sale do NOT make one post for each item.

Here's one for you Moderators, why not remove the facility to bump the ad back to the top thus saving you extra time trawling through ads and seeing who has been a bad boy (or girl, sorry ladies).

Am I banned now?

I'm only bitter as it's taken me all of 56 seconds to re advertise an item that I had the gall to edit, actually write that I had edited my original ad, but stupidly added bump in somewhere and so had my ad pulled, and probably will be pulled again following this.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I don't see a problem with bumping - more annoying are the Ebay redirects that seem to be allowed. The sale board should be for items for sale here, not somewhere else.

A better thing would be if sellers could flag the whole ad to be deleted if sold (or no longer for sale)
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'm happy for items to be bumped, if done sensibly, ie; Not every hour!

I definitely agree with Slow Downcp, links to ebay items should be disallowed.
    Slowdowncp wrote:
    A better thing would be if sellers could flag the whole ad to be deleted if sold (or no longer for sale)
    I think it comes down to laziness. :shock: Once the item is sold, the post should be editted, and it is possible to put SOLD into the subject bar, so no need to open the post again.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    hopper1 wrote:
    Slowdowncp wrote:
    I think it comes down to laziness. :shock: Once the item is sold, the post should be editted, and it is possible to put SOLD into the subject bar, so no need to open the post again.

But by deleting the ad, it would move live ads closer to the top again, so there would be less need for bumping
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    [24]** BUMP**[/size]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    And yes, Slowdowncp, you're correct, deleting the post would be best. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    But by deleting the ad, it would move live ads closer to the top again, so there would be less need for bumping
    Deleting the ad means people could subsequently spend ages looking for something they spotted earlier in the day but no longer exists! Better to edit title with 'sold', IMO.

It's a fast-moving board - doesn't take long for unreplied to threads to drop off the page once they've been marked as sold.
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    Ands wrote:
    Deleting the ad means people could subsequently spend ages looking for something they spotted earlier in the day but no longer exists! Better to edit title with 'sold', IMO.

Surely the fact that it's no longer there means the item is no longer for sale / sold?

:?