Dartmoor (staying in Kingswear) 26-28th Feb 2010 Routes??

joec1
joec1 Posts: 494
edited March 2010 in Routes
Hi guys,

Im going down to Dartmoor in a few Weeks with Some mates (two of us are riders the rest are "watchers or shoppers haha")

anyway.. were heading down on the 26th Feb till the 28th, and staying in an appartment in Kingswear.

Were hoping to get some good riding in and have been looking at rides up in dartmoor itself.

Im keen to hear of anyone else who rides there often that knows of any routes that are better than the rest.

Were both into the all mountain type of ride, however we ride XC a lot in Wilts... as theres not much in the way or harsh terrain.

Would be good to get some great routes on the plan forthe weekend.. and if anyone is free would be good to meet up with you.

Joe
www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Hi
    have look here http://yogi.terapad.com/ as they ride Dartmoor area on a sat and sure they would welcome you along for the day
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • joec1
    Cool Thankyou,.

:)

Looking for a "cwmcarn twrch trail" style route. with arrows around it... as i hate stopping to look at a map every 5 mins...
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • I've never seen any marked trails on Dartmoor but I might be wrong.

One of my favourites is the drop down the reservoir from Princetown:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pr ... Princetown

You may well need a map as to be honest I wouldn't want to be up on Dartmoor at this time of year without one.

And I think I know it pretty well.

But have a good look around...loads of routes available for all levels.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • camerauk
    I've never seen any marked trails on Dartmoor but I might be wrong.

One of my favourites is the drop down the reservoir from Princetown:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pr ... Princetown

You may well need a map as to be honest I wouldn't want to be up on Dartmoor at this time of year without one.

And I think I know it pretty well.

But have a good look around...loads of routes available for all levels.

If you go out with the Yogi crew I am sure they will have some good routes without the need for a map but I am sure they will carry one with them as like you say I would not want to be out on Dartmoor without one

Your route looks similar to the one I have done although I only have the return section from Princetown here
    http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=hdvgznbnsvhmbpwi
    I followed the Plym Trail up to Princetown then came back on this route
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Dartmoor is about as far removed from Cwm Carn as you can hope. No groomed trails, no waymarkers, a myriad of paths going off in every direction and the odd unexploded and exploding piece of military ordanance :shock: .

Having said all that the place is ace for mountain biking with lots of well drained tracks that are rideable in all weathers. Do take a map and compass though as it is a pretty inhospitable place when the weather is poor. Chuck in an extra layer as well as temperatures can be a good few degrees lower than in the local towns especially when windy. Finally check the Dartmoor ranges website for military activity as much of the North Western areas have potential restrictions.

The Princetown to Burrator drop is a well known classic loop and is available on line and in the regional guidebooks. Both WMB and MBR have done it in the past.
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • joec1
    hehe yea got all the mappy stuff :)

and were gonna do the trails around the resevoir :) as they sound good (from everything i have read)

if anyone is free on saturday and wants to join us, feel free :)
  • camerauk
    joec1 wrote:
    hehe yea got all the mappy stuff :)

and were gonna do the trails around the resevoir :) as they sound good (from everything i have read)

if anyone is free on saturday and wants to join us, feel free :)

Is it this Sat 27th?
    If so I maybe able to get up there for a trip out with you lot what time and where are you all meeting up?

Cheers

Andy
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • joec1
    well, having never been there before... and going by the rouite guide i downloaded (which is at home) its a carpark just off the main road... however i will update with a little more specific details later when i get home :)

yea its the 27th :)

Unless of course you know a trail around there, in which case im happy to meet where you suggest.
  • camerauk
    I am fairly new to mtb so dont know many routes
    Like I say I will do my best to make it but not sure on the work shift yet
    I will know by Thursday so will let you know for def then

I can give you a contact for Yogi bunch at Plymouth as they are heading out on Sat not sure where but it will be Dartmoor area I think and they will know some good routes
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • camerauk
    Dont think i will be able to make it out on sat as I have to work in the morning now
    Hope you have a great ride weather looks to be quite wet although sat looks to be the best day
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • joec1
    Had a great ride...

Started at Princetown and went off to Burrator Resevoir. Really good technicla trail (at speed) from Princetown to Burrator, however the return is a slog.... long uphill track
  • camerauk
    sounds like you had a great day did you meet up with anyone or did you ride by yourself
    which route did you take from Princetown? did you follow the old railway track back up
    would have loved to get out but had work :cry:
    Specialized Allez Sport