Braze on front dérailleur

ridleydan
ridleydan Posts: 52
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Hi,
can I use the front dérailleur (minus the band) on a frame with a brazed on bracket? I am moving components from old frame to new, and this seems to fit ok. Could someone let me know if this is suitable?

Thanks

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Well if it fits and works ok I don't see it being a problem. Although I'd have thought the bracket on the frame would have got in the way?
  • I am splitting the derailleur from the band, and fitting it to the brazed on bracket on the new bike, so no band is now required.
    Is there a difference between the derailleur mechanism on a braze on type, and on a band type. My thinking is there is no difference, but I just need to check before a disaster happens.

Thanks
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Is it a braze on mech + band adapter? If so it'll work.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    There's no problem. Front mechs are either band-on or braze-on. What you've got by the sounds of it is a braze-on mech plus a band which replicates the brazed on bracket. Take the band off and bolt it straight to the bracket.

A band-on mech has a band integral to the mech body which can't be removed.
  • Cheers Guys,
    Thats what I was wanting to hear. My descriptions were probably complicating matters, but we got there. This allows me now to finish building up my new R3.

Thanks