Parkhill Wood , Lochwinnoch

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited February 2010 in Routes
It's been a number of years since I last rode there on a bike , Was there today .. and i've noticed how the years of erosion has affected some sections of the paths ..
Anways here is a few pics I took this afternoon with a few random thrown in ..

dsc00074ft.jpg

dsc00077.jpg
dsc00078a.jpg
dsc00079hp.jpg

As you can see most of the loch was still frozen over with Ice .. it was that thick the stones you can see are still visable
dsc00080xa.jpg

PHW
dsc00083w.jpg

PHW
dsc00084jr.jpg

PHW
dsc00085i.jpg

PHW
dsc00086ty.jpg

From the top of Parkhill wood lookin left take that route is downhill all the way
dsc00087ya.jpg

Looking over towards Castle Semple Loch
dsc00088kd.jpg

This is taken from the top of Parkhill wood again looking right following that route is downhill all the way though with very little room for error
dsc00089u.jpg

Comments

• colintrav
    PHW Updated ... Was back there today took a different route and I've noticed a good few changes I do suspect this is going to be advertised for MTB's etc ...

Pics from 2 other sections of the phw ...

dsc00147ac.jpg

dsc00169l.jpg

dsc00167y.jpg

dsc00166l.jpg

dsc00165w.jpg

dsc00164k.jpg

dsc00163t.jpg

dsc00162vh.jpg

dsc00161hd.jpg

dsc00160xj.jpg

dsc00159yg.jpg

dsc00158ch.jpg

dsc00157ca.jpg

dsc00156ab.jpg

dsc00155o.jpg

dsc00154q.jpg

dsc00153q.jpg

dsc00152vj.jpg

dsc00151ut.jpg

dsc00150e.jpg

dsc00149i.jpg

dsc00148jz.jpg
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Hi Colintrav
    How do you get on to this? Do you park at the visitor centre? How long is it? Will venture up next Saturday.
  • colintrav
    It's not far from me .. I just ride to it ...

If you know of Castle semple ... head to that . where there is plently of car park spaces ..

which once you have parked your car you will see the visitor center at the back there is cycle route .. everything it clearly sign posted take a right and head down the track it's only 5 mins from along on the right is the entrance to Parkhill wood ..

Here is link that will put your mind at ease ..

http://www.discoverclydemuirshiel.co.uk/parkhill/
  • woodywmb
    Thanks. Have worked a route through the wood and up to Kaim Dam. Might head over to Muirshiel and the old mine. Giant climb but sweet downhill on return.
  • colintrav
    How was your day out if you don't mind me asking ...

Did you noticed how the local youths like to have fires on the track ... ? I spotted that when I was last down at castle semple ..
  • woodywmb
    We had a great day. Had a super road downhill from Kaim Dam. Worked our way into Parkhill Wood on a dead end farm track off the B road which runs behind the wood and parallel to Castle Semple Loch. Couldn't get through the farm and there were no obvious paths. The farmer came out and showed us a hidden route past an old rusting gate. We went from side to side through the wood, marvelling at the old paths with wee seats and some of the newer paths which were in good nick. Dog walkers got in the way but otherwise it's an ideal summer night's ride-out for an hour. Have cycled around the loch and the back roads for 20 years and never knew about Parkhill Woods. So well done. Also, a similar ride is the Smugglers Trail from Dundonald to Troon loch. It's got a great climb and a network of singletrack. Check web for sites or key into:

http://walking.visitscotland.com/walks/ ... lers-trail
  • colintrav
    Good to know you had a good day ...