Training advise for South Downs Way.

kernowaj
kernowaj Posts: 198
edited February 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Im doing the SDW in June. As you probably know this is 100 miles and very hilly. At the moment I am just trying to get out as much as possible, I also just got a cheap turbo-trainer to help too.

Just really want to know what people think is enough prep to get through this route in around 10 hours?

Thanks

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    IT's not very hilly. It's a bunch of minor inclines.

To be honest mate, i'd think anyone with a reasonable level of bike fitness will be fine.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    weeksy59 wrote:
    IT's not very hilly. It's a bunch of minor inclines.

To be honest mate, i'd think anyone with a reasonable level of bike fitness will be fine.

Err mate either you've not done it or you are much fitter than the average!
    It is actually a seemingly interminable series of steep though relatively short climbs with very few flat sections between. The riding is fairly fast in the dry but in the wet the chalk becomes lethally slippery. It is not an easy ride by anyone's standards.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I have never done it either, and as far as I was aware it is quite a ride.

I know two people who have done it, one went from Winchester to Cocking (great name), stopped over night, Cocking to Lewes (where he lives), then Lewes to Eastbourne next day.

The other guy did Winchester to Worthing (where he lives) in a day - but struggled
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I grew up near there - it really isn't very hilly. But 100 miles is a long way even if it's flat.
  • kernowaj
    I think its around 3500m climbing. I guess a few hours on the turbo trainer (boring) in the week and a long ride at the weekend would be enough then.
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Good luck with it, I will be interested to see what training you needed , as I plan to do it once I am healthy again :)

I live in Eastbourne so would be train to Winchester then riding home, so not much planning just need to be fit enough. :oops:
  • I did the SDW from Wincester to Eastbourne last June.

I managed it in one day,( I'm getting on late 50s) took 12 1/2 hours including breaks.

My Garmin said 12,000 feet of climbing. fairly straight forward til you get to Washington and then the hills start as you are tiring.. I found( bikedowns.co.uk )useful for the route.
    Plenty of water taps along the way.

With regards to training- I spent a lot of time the previous winter developing my core muscles, upper body strength and doing a lot of leg work, as well cardio with intervals in the gym.

From about beginning of Feb last year, I fit the trails about 4 times a weeks gradually increasing miles each time,until I was able to cycle 75-80 miles twice a week.also finding the hardest hill and spending afternoons going up and down them..

I also worked on my nutrition.

It was a great ride but hard as the hills were not that long but fairly steep and plenty of them.

Enjoy your ride
  • kernowaj
    Thanks Sussexboy, That sounds like a pretty serious training routine. Were you doing 75-80 miles on rough terrain?
  • Yes. I only ride off road now.
  • I have done an out an back loop from Bury hill to Shoreham. I clocked 35 miles in just over 4 hrs.

I have 2 friends that did this event 2 years ago. 1 of them completed it the other bailed after 75 miles.

I would not underestimate the South Downs Way challenge.

The event is 100 miles and over 10,000 feet of climbing !

There is "FIT" and there is "FIT :shock: :D

My mate who completed the event put in 2 rides a week on the downs and long weekend rides on the north downs.as well.

He finished in 13 hours

Id like to do it myself but the most ive managed is about 6hrs :shock: Long way to go yet :D

Good luck keep us posted !
  • I live just off the SDW and regularly ride on and around the middle bit. I did the full SDW over 2 days of 6-8hrs each. As mentioned before the hills are short and steep, chalky and usually rutted as it is also a 4x4 route. This makes them quite technical and you need to keep concentration especially if its wet chalk You cross a few river valleys so drop down off one hill and then have to climb the other side and this is where a lot of the climbing occurs.

The Winchester end is a mish-mash of connected bridleways and the SDW 'proper' does not start until Buriton.