Advice needed: Whats the secret to smooth changing gears?

loxster71
loxster71 Posts: 269
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all and forgive me as i'm a newbie with no technical knowledge at all.

What is the secret to smooth changing gears?

Is it quality shifters, derailleurs and components etc?

I have just bought shimano LX shifter pods, SLX front mech and already have LX rear mech, will this guarentee good accurate smooth gear changes?

Does the chain and sprockets have much to do with this?

Hope i don't come across a bit thick but it's all new to me.

Thanks in advance for your answers. :D
Giant Trance X3
Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good cables, good set up, and non bent parts.

The more expensive shifters do tend to be slicker feeling, but all gears should feel smooth.

The chain and sprockets make little difference I find with 8 and 9 speed.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    To add to that, anticipation.

Making sure you're in the right gear for what's in front of you.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • loxster71
    loxster71 Posts: 269
    Is there a noticeable difference in the type of cables i use ?

Ie, are xtr cables better than deore?
    Xtr cable set on ebay £17.95 is this a good price and are they worth getting?

Thanks for your replies so far.
    Giant Trance X3
    Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
    BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Clean, well cut cables. I just use standard shimano inners and outers from the roll.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Same as Sonic for cables, used expensive ones and not seen any difference in shifting performance.

The most important aspect of smooth gear changes in order are:

1. A non worn drivetrain, i.e. chain with less than 0.75% stretch (get a Park Tools chain wear checker) and sprockets that haven't shark finned or have bent teeth.
    2. Properly index and setup gears, i.e. limit stops set correctly.
    3. Rider technique, don't try changing gears whilst stomping on the pedal (change before you reach an obstacle as robertpb says), don't use extreme gear combinations that leave the chain on the diagonal.
    4. Clean functionning cables, dont' need to be massively expensive, I reckon it's better to change them regularly anyway.
    5. Quality shifters, better shifters do feel better, fully agree with Sonic on that, I replaced my LX ones with XT for feel alone.
    6. Sprocket design, some sprockets have ramps etc. to help the chain shift.
    7. Mechs, rear mech being more important than the front.

That's my list anyway.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep I'd agree on most of that above, I'd like to expand on it a bit.... But can't be assed to type... follow that and you'll be fine.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    When and how you shift is as important as whether you have a fancy mech and shifters.

Slacken of the power of your pedalling, esp for downshift (think of it like taking you foot of the gas when change gear in your car)
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    If you're fitting the parts yourself, follow the instructions on the Park Tools site carefully and you should be sorted. It's good to give the inner cables a wipe down now and again too, keeping them gunk free.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Yep, it's technique. I didn't really think about it until I was riding with my Mrs who is fairly new to indexed shifters and was making it sound like she was changing gears with a lump hammer.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Atz wrote:
    Yep, it's technique. I didn't really think about it until I was riding with my Mrs who is fairly new to indexed shifters and was making it sound like she was changing gears with a lump hammer.

probably sram.
    :wink:
  • also dont change gear when there is a lot of pressure on the pedal as this will cause it to crunch and can in worse case scenarios break the mechs.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    loxster71 wrote:
    Is there a noticeable difference in the type of cables i use ?

Ie, are xtr cables better than deore?
    Xtr cable set on ebay £17.95 is this a good price and are they worth getting?

Thanks for your replies so far.

You'll only notice a difference if you're already a fairly slick gear changer. If your gear changing is noticablly clunky it's more likely your technique or poorly set up gears as opposed to component quality - especially getting right down to the cables. Anything from deore upwards is capable of good shifting if well installed. Higher models really just add extra polish to the action and weight loss - they only make the bike easier to ride if your already a skilled riding who can make the most of them.
    As a beginner I'd say you're better spending time on the bike than spending money right now. Read a couple of articles and practice what it says - hill climbing ones are prob best for giving gear changing tips, but as other said take pressure off the pedals when you change is the main thing
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    Gears ! ... just ride a single speed !

:D
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    I am a fan of sealed cables to help retain good gear performance. The XTR have sealed ends and I have found them great on my Trek. I have just installed some Flying Snake sealed cables on my Giant and they seem good so far.
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.