Isle of Man Cycling Week?

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,589
edited January 2010 in Amateur race
I assume the International Cycling Week is now defunct? Anyone know what happened to it? I rode over there in 1990 and it was one of my best cycling experiences riding on the fully closed roads, fields of about 400 in the handicaps and around 200 on the TT course races. With a few top pros hailing from the IoM I'm surprised it isn't still running :?

Comments

• A team mate who raced it regularly mentioned there was talk of reviving it? Don't know anymore than that however.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Hope so was a good week on the booze with the odd race chucked in :D
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    Pross wrote:
    I assume the International Cycling Week is now defunct? Anyone know what happened to it? I rode over there in 1990 and it was one of my best cycling experiences riding on the fully closed roads, fields of about 400 in the handicaps and around 200 on the TT course races. With a few top pros hailing from the IoM I'm surprised it isn't still running :?

I think the short answer is the Isle of Man government pulled the financial support for the event in 2003 as its popularity dipped.

Considering how much riders like Cav, Bellis, Christian, Roche and the Kennaugh boys have raised the Islands profile this action seems a bit short sighted, but thats Governments for you.
  • Im from the island, and raced in those races too was amazing, there is no word or gossip really about bringing it back :cry: was a great week really