Decent cheap wheel set - any advice?

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited January 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm actually posting on behalf of a friend - he's looking to purchase a decent set of wheels that he can use just at weekend when training.

At the moment he's commuting to work on his current wheel set during the week and training at the weekend, which is just killing them.

He hasn't really got a budget in mind, but he certainly doesnt want to spend a fortune. Can anyone help?

I'm, dare I mention it on here, a MTB'er so I cant really help him sadly.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Planet X Model Bs at 100 quid, great wheels .... also Mavic Aksiums are a good buy.
  • Depends on your udea of "cheep" :wink: One mans cheep is another mans fortune. Shimano 6700 wheels available for around £200, bargain IMHO. Capable of being used for standard clincher tyres, or new type tubeless tyres (not tubs)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    I think in this case cheap means cheeeeeeeeeeeeap!!! ;-) The Planet X pair look perfect for what he needs!
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Shimano 6700 wheels available for around £200, bargain IMHO.

Any idea where we can get them for £200?
  • sturmey wrote:
    Shimano 6700 wheels available for around £200, bargain IMHO.

Any idea where we can get them for £200?

I have seen some for £230 from Merlin, but not £200, but it still seems a pretty good deal!!

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=2111&categoryId=167
  • They were in the "big freeeze" sale at Merlin last week, with 10% off I think it was, I got a pair for £204 ish, they`ve now gone back to £230, Ribble have `em for £224.

• I`d find out his (your?) budget first, then look from there, CRC are selling wheelsets off for £40 with an RRP of around £100 (this doesn`t mean that they were ever worth £100 though :wink:

Decent and cheep anything doesn`t usually come in the same sentence. What is decent? What is cheep? What is he training for? TDF, sportives or just "training" to keep fit and enjoy himself? :) That might decide what sort of "decent" wheels he wants / needs. He may already be riding a set of Aksiums ?

• Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I, CRC are selling wheelsets off for £40 with an RRP of around £100 (this doesn`t mean that they were ever worth £100 though

Mmm, if they're the same £40 ones I ordered then steer clear. I bought them as a cheap set for the turbo and an emergency front spare.
    They came with a very useful UG Shimano freehub....thought they'd become extinct at least 10 years ago. :(

Sent them back, needless to say.

You can get a pair of Tiagras on CXP22 handbuilt at Ribble for £100 which should be a pretty robust wheelset.

They are also selling Shimano WHR500s and RS10s both well under £100.

I have the WHR500s as a Winter set and have been really impressed with them.
    I have probably hit most of the potholes on the A6 at some point :x and they haven't flinched yet. Easy to service hubs too.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i was going to suggest that as well. up with the thumb. :arrow:
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    Any idea where i can get the 2010 version? Fancy a set of these to replace my woefully unreliable Bontrager ssr rims. Broken spoke at least once a month!!
  • Try

http://www.halorims.com/Halo/halo-halor ... ealers.php

Must learn how to shorten these!
  • syncro
    Try

Tried that but the dealers can only order them at the mo. Nobody stocks them yet.
  • I bought a set of Shimano WH-R500 from Merlin the other week for £65, bargain at that price!

exercise.png
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Planet X Model Bs at 100 quid, great wheels .... also Mavic Aksiums are a good buy.
    I got some Aksiums on my new bike last week. I checked out how much they are worth and Merlin are selling them for £135 a pair. Got an email today from Hargroves to say they are on 'special offer' at £170.00 instead of £190!
  • syncro
    syncro wrote:
    Try

Tried that but the dealers can only order them at the mo. Nobody stocks them yet.

Decided to go for easy availability and good recomendations, went for a set of Mavic Askiums. Weather permitting i'll give 'em a try tomorrow.