knee position

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Do you pedal with your knees straight, turned in, or turned out (even if only slightly turned)? Do you even notice the position of your knee as you push down?
Do you think it makes a different to your power output?

Would be interested to hear other peoples views...

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Everyone's knees are different and that affects pedalling style. Not sure you'll be able to change it much without causing injury...
    Me, my knees point in. and occasionally brush the top-tube, while my feet angle out by a couple of degrees. I like to think it makes me more aero ;)
    I'm not going to change my pedalling style to match my favourite pro cyclists: Jens Voigt isn't exactly knock-kneed and he does alright ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    With a standard pedal shoe combo, I have similar knees in issues as JG.

When I had my bike fitting session a while back, this was one of the issues they identified, and the problem was addressed with a combination of custom foot beds and cleat wedges dialled in to even out my knee trajectory. At first I was skeptical, but after going through it (and racing a hard season with the combo) I'm sold. Firstly my knees no longer move inwards at the top of the stroke, but rather remain "in axis". Secondly I no longer get sore knees from hard, intense efforts. I reckon it makes my pedalling more efficient too - but I have no data.

Now, my cross bike has a different pedal combo and is "stock" so don't have the benefit of the corrective mods. I find that on this bike I am back to knees in and, after a 'cross race, my knees are usually bruised on the insides from bashing the top tube! My commuting shoes (also with Eggbeater cleats) are fitted with Le Wedges, which partially solve the problem - I really should get around to fitting a set on my cross shoes!