Most rediculous injury to ever stop you riding!

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited February 2010 in MTB general
My friend last week was unable to go riding as he had a blister from wearing a new pair of work shoes, which then subsequently caused his entire ankle to swell and become immobile!

What other ridiculous injuries have people incurred which has stopped you from riding?

Comments

• ashleymp777
    ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
    Ha! I know ;-) I clearly wasn't being very 'PC', and for that I apologise profusely and I'm sorry if i have cause offence ;-) May I be struck down by lightening!

And yes, that's an even lamer excuse!
  • A few of my mates seem to develop 'injuries' so they can miss a ride.

Normally when they have been out the night before :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    ashleymp777: Soz - bit of a delete frenzy going on there :)

I thought I've just cleaned my bike was a lame excuse and not an injury so I deleted it.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I got stung by a wasp, right where the edge of my helmet sits, and it was tender for days so I couldn't wear a helmet! That was kind of pathetic, considering I kept riding with broken ribs :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    .blitz wrote:
    ashleymp777: Soz - bit of a delete frenzy going on there :)

I thought I've just cleaned my bike was a lame excuse and not an injury so I deleted it.

on the lame excuse front, I have a mate who has 9 bikes :shock: (like I can complain ... I have 6...). At least half a dozen times a year he claims he can't ride because none of his bikes are working.......

as for actual injuries, I once fell off my bike because we were larking about like 12 year olds (not the 30 somethings we actually were) and I went to pull a big skid, forgetting that my new bike was set up US style. Grabbed a fist full of front brake and threw myself at the ground.

...fractured my wrist and was off the bike for 2 months .......erk :oops:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Still aching from the last ride is another one along with the all-time classics my a*se is sore, my eyes are hurting, it's too wet/cold/dark/windy, I have to be back by...
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    In the early 1980's I had a good road/cyclocross bike (pre MTB era) that I used sometimes for commuting over a nice hill and field area just outside the factory I worked.

When my shift finished I did the usual route up the grass slope and down the hill...except I hadn't noticed the water board had dug a huge trench for concrete waterpipes and I "just" cycled into it. :oops:

My knackers hurt like hell as did my chest, but my pride was the worse and I refused to tell the truth of what happened when I phoned in sick the next day. I still can't believe I did that :shock:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    not sure how this happened but my mate was wincing around Afan on the Saturday.....looked in some discomfort.

He said he couldn't ride on the Sunday...then showed us his arse. It looked as if someone had taped two raw rashers of unsmoked back bacon to the crease between arse and leg.
  • ashfanman
    ashfanman Posts: 186
    When I was about 13, I had a friend over and we thought it would be a good idea to raid my parents' drink cabinet. One bottle of Cadbury's Chocolate Liqueur later (that stuff went down like milkshake), we then thought it would be a good idea to go for a bike ride. It wasn't.

I flew down this hill towards a block of garages, content in the knowledge that I would turn left at the bottom. I can remember almost laughing to myself come on, turn now, turn now, now would be good, how about now and just ploughed straight into them.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Not too long ago i had a perianal haematoma. :cry:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    Last feb I got arse trauma....

Now I have a neck that doesn't want to be a neck - other than that I would be on my bike every day! 8)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    i had a really big spot, right where the helmet sits, was agony, didnt ride for a week!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Scrotal swelling in left nut after hernia op.Still smarting 6 weeks after.Gonna give the cycle path a go tomorrow tho. Wish me luck lol
    Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Last summer I stood up from my desk and managed to tear my achilles, totally ruined my summers riding.
    Now I'm off the bike because I went sledging the other week, hit a rock and bruised my coccyx so can't bear to sit on the saddle.
    Am not having a good time of it :(
  • gcwebbyuk
    smeghead73 wrote:
    Scrotal swelling in left nut after hernia op.Still smarting 6 weeks after.Gonna give the cycle path a go tomorrow tho. Wish me luck lol

Youch :shock:

wear two pairs of padded shorts, although that might not be too good advice as 2 pairs may be too tight!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I recently had to cancel a day biking after taking a double whammy to the right testicle when we went paintballing for a mates birthday. One of the marshalls got me whilst sprinting at full pelt and I crumpled into a heap in mid air. Just couldn't handle the prospect of sitting down for that long (though smeghead73 just made me feel like a right fanny!)
  • Dogoid
    Dogoid Posts: 42
    has to be really bad for me to miss a ride,.

i love all weathers, i was even out in the snow and ice not long ago. ice riding is another world. loved the challenge.

only things will stop me going is physical stuff that's out of my hands, or 50mph winds, saying that if its 50mph northerly, i will ride south for the usual miles and train it back.

i was off the saddle for 2 weeks once . i was riding on the pavement in the dark and a fairly fast speed and i didn't see those pillows and my thigh whacked it solid.

i developed a massive haematoma, and even now a year later, i can still feel lumps in my thigh.

i never ride on pavements, but that night i had no lights.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Sitting in my mates campervan drinking hot coffee before we went on a winter ride. Clumsy arse me drops a full mug of coffee on my foot scalding myself. Couldnt get my riding shoe on was forced to sit in the van reading the paper whilst the others went for a looooooooooooooooong ride.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Dogoid
    Dogoid Posts: 42
    gcwebbyuk wrote:
    pillows :?:

excuse me , i meant pillars :oops:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Torsion of the testicle.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Amnesia (only temporary but bike inflicted), only external sign was a little scratch on my chin.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I had amnesia once, though I can't remember when.
  • Yeh. Nads like spacehoppers + drop offs = not such a fun time lol.
    Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!
  • Managed to stick my foot in a bush and got a stick go through an old bolt hole in the sole where I had taken the cleats off and go straight into the sole of my foot. Couldn't bear to put any real weight on it for a good week.
    Daz

Lavatrax Tenerife
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    Try hopping on to the bike , then landing right on your 'nads ! :oops:
    Needless to say , it was bloody painful getting the bike back to the van ![/i]
  • gcwebbyuk
    embarressing but not painful was the first time I rode with SPDs at 16 and thought I would show off to my younger bro by pulling a 90 degree skid-stop type thing, but then couldnt get my foot out and went down locked to the bike :oops:

Funny though!

Have also had a few attempts at jumps and coming down on my nads, but once again when younger.

My crashes these days (or last year when I was riding) seem to be bigger and more painful.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Most irritating injury,

sat up in bed and tore a major stomach muscle.

This actually got me biking more, as a month after injury I could ride; I couldn't rock climb or judo for a year.

Current injury, sprained my thumb Judoing ,can't hold the bars!!!!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?