WD-40 on break pads

finnj6
finnj6 Posts: 45
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have a set of cantilever breaks for my cx bike and the break pads were well sprayed with wd-40 do I need new pads?

I'm thinking yes, if no what's the best way to clean them?
Lappiere X-Control 210
Columbus X-Wing
Fuji track
Treck 1500 with Campag
Soon to be Colnago Masters

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    lots, and lots of IPA, a good scrub, and a bath in boiling water should fix them......
    I like bikes and stuff
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as the blocks are rubber based they can be cleaned with any light solvent, also clean the rims.

even soap and water will work.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Mine regularly get sprayed with WD40, especially after a wet ride. Normal bike cleaner (Muc-Off or the like) will clean it off. 90% of the time I don't bother though as I don't seem to get any deterioration in braking performance.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Mine regularly get sprayed with WD40, especially after a wet ride. Normal bike cleaner (Muc-Off or the like) will clean it off. 90% of the time I don't bother though as I don't seem to get any deterioration in braking performance.
    There's a message there for those that use it as a chain "lube" :wink:
  • finnj6
    finnj6 Posts: 45
    Cheers thanks I'll try giving them a good old fashioned scrub and see what happens. If it doesn't work I'll be on asking how to drain a river out of my bike :lol:
    Lappiere X-Control 210
    Columbus X-Wing
    Fuji track
    Treck 1500 with Campag
    Soon to be Colnago Masters