Kirroughtree WOW!!!

gaanrowl
gaanrowl Posts: 326
edited February 2010 in Routes
any one ridden the red route how does it compare to AE??

going to give it a go if we cant do kielder.

cheers

Comments

• Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    It is much, much better!!! Do it!
  • gaanrowl
    cheers paulie i thought AE was quality im exited now
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    AE is good,Kirroughtree is much,much better 8)
    Its worth doing the black extension even if McMoab isn't your thing.Just ride past the start of Mcmoab,keep on the fireroad and rejoin the trail over the bridge at the end,you won't be disappointed 8)
  • My fav man made trail is the Kirroughtree red / black loop. If you're going all that way do the black also as you'll be missing pure MTB heaven.

Oh I wanna go back NOW! :(
  • going to give it a go if we cant do kielder
    When?

Not sure about better but it is easier although Talnoutry has to be one of the best bits of singletrack anywhere imo.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I can't compare to Ae, but it's superb. Really the black is the heart of kirroughtree though, it's a shame but the best bits of the trail are the furthest away from the start! It's a big old ride though and has some relatively big features. And mcmoab of course but don't be terrorised by the stories and the big skull and crossbones :wink: You can skip it but it's worth having a crack, I loved it.

Going back myself in March I think, it's one of the best places I've ever ridden, right up there with fort william. And it's relatively close to Drumlanrig too if you have the time, another stunning place to ride (but again, you really need to do the black to get the best from it)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • And it's relatively close to Drumlanrig too if you have the time
    = 1.5hrs
  • Northwind
    Nah, more like an hour, via New Galloway. But it's also not a big diversion if you're headed back east, which you generally will be unless you arrived by ferry, so it makes a good "way home" ride or second stop.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • gaanrowl
    cheers guys i think this is the place to go on sat. how difficult is the black is their chicken runs? some of the guys are a bit apprehensive when you mention black, hows it compare to whinlatter.

p.s we are on hartails if this helps.
  • IIRC there aren't any chicken runs. The black extension is mainly 95% flowing singletrack with the odd obstacle thrown in. Some on the ups, some on the downs. If you are going that far you have to do it as you'll be missing out on the best riding in the country. If you can do whinlatter and ae reds you'll be able to do 95% of anything you'll come across on the black - the rest being a chance to improve your riding.

Don't let the black rating put you off.
  • gaanrowl
    fasntastic cheers again blue helmet.
  • Northwind
    gaanrowl wrote:
    cheers guys i think this is the place to go on sat. how difficult is the black is their chicken runs?

What I found is that all the features are nicely visible, there was one big step/drop which caught me out a little but everything else announces itself nice and early so you're not likely to ride into something you don't want to. There's not really chicken runs, not that I remember seeing anyway but I think all the trickier parts are easily enough walked if you really don't fancy it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • gaanrowl
    rode it today and it was fantastic we didnt do all the black but done the short cut version, we were cream crackered first time out in a couple of month. but its some of the best riding i have done a awsom mixture of technical and fast flowing single track. there doesnt seen too be alot of altitiude but the trail builders have used what they have to supreme effect.

thanks again to all those who posted especially blue helmet and northwind.

will deffo be making another trip up there when a bit fitter and looking forward to doing the whole thing.

only thing that marred the day was 3 points and a £60 fine clocked doing 79mph bout 20mins out from kirroughtree. :x
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    got to agree there gaan..
    Was a top day out and for once I didn't fall off. Well I did have a comedy SPD moment :lol::lol::lol:

Even had a go at some of the drop offs that I'd normally shy away from!

First PROPER ride out out on the Inbred too - WOW what a trail beast it is, makes the trail so much more enjoyable, point it and it goes..

Kirroughtree and an Inbred recommended :D:D:D
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    I enjoyed KT last weekend, did dalbeatie this weekend, not half as good as kt IMO
  • Northwind
    I there's a lot of "off piste" stuff at dalbeattie from what I hear. But, hey, there's no shame in being less good than KT :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    just wondering how you would rate KT red in terms of difficulty compared to say GT red?

reason i ask is everytime i've been down there i've had my daughter in tow (she's 11) so we've stuck to blue. She's fine at carron valley and although she hasn't ridden GT red i know she would be okay on that.

so would it be worth taking her on the red at Kirroughtree?
  • No probs pal. It's such an awesome trail I just encourage everyone to go and ride it...
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    just wondering how you would rate KT red in terms of difficulty compared to say GT red?

reason i ask is everytime i've been down there i've had my daughter in tow (she's 11) so we've stuck to blue. She's fine at carron valley and although she hasn't ridden GT red i know she would be okay on that.

so would it be worth taking her on the red at Kirroughtree?

With the exception of Carron Valley "red" GT red is probably the easiest in Scotland, Kirroughtree red is not massively more difficult but there are a few rock sections that are trickeir than Glentress for sure
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • r3 guy
    r3 guy Posts: 229
    going back to KT tomo, good weather, no ice...bring it on !

Gonna miss mcmoab out though, just didnt float my boat.
  • gaanrowl
    VERY JEALOUS i wish i was goging back this weekend. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

have a good one.
  • I loved KT when I went there with Trailpuppet back in November.... I am taking Mrs. M and the kids to Mabie next weekend to try out the easier trails... I'm hoping to slope off for a couple of hours :wink:
  • Will miss you. I am off to Glasgow on Sat and working on Sunday. You may like to take the family out to Ae, nice trails along the riverside which are a lot easier than Mabie.
    Craigshields boardwal on the blue/green;
    icybridge.jpg
  • Thanks TP...... we are staying @ Marthrown of Mabie on your recommendation - looks great!! Hopefully have a repeat ride sometime?