The Ultimate Cycling Jacket?

shoulder_of_orion
shoulder_of_orion Posts: 529
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok, so I need a new cycling jacket for both commuting and training rides. It should be windproof, water resistant, breathable, stowable (in middle back pocket ideally) and look good (i.e. wearable in non-cycling situations).

Rapha claim to have such a thing:
http://www.rapha.cc/classic-softshell-jacket/

But before I drop such an absurd amount of money on it, is this really the ultimate jacket? Does anyone have it and is it well made, durable etc?

Anyone got any other suggestions?

I have perused the offerings by Assos and Castelli, but I find Assos is just plain fugly and Castelli is a bit garish for my tastes, but I do have a couple of things by them and could be convinced if I have missed something.

Also, why can't I get decent cycling gear in a decent shade of blue (or even green)? The whole red/black/white thing is getting on my tits.

Having made the point about Castelli being garish and one of my key conditions being that it can be worn in non-cycling situations, I will now contradict myself twice by saying my second choice is this little number:
http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0821

Comments

• IP's new Castelli jacket is a thing of great beauty - notwithstanding the fact that its red.

I have the same dilemma...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited January 2010
    I've only ever ridden in a black Gore Path II & I thought that was expensive! Combined with a merino baselayer I've ridden many sub-zero rides in it & kept out plenty of rain.

I'm happy wearing it off the bike as well & the mrs loved the light blue, I just figured all the miles in and out of London could potentially ruin it.

It probably just lacks the exclusivity of some of these other jackets from more prestige brands & the fact that is says Gore Bike Wear on it is an annoying give away down the pub :lol:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_ ... 360044544/
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    IP's new Castelli jacket is a thing of great beauty - notwithstanding the fact that its red.

You can get it in all black for the ninja look...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    IP's new Castelli jacket is a thing of great beauty - notwithstanding the fact that its red.

TY! It's a fantastic jacket, but not waterproof or stowable. I think you are asking a bit much. However, I reckon that the Castelli Mannaggia combined with a Montane Velo (or Rapha stowable) tucked in the pocket, is the solution to pretty much anything the weather can throw at you. All available in Black as well I believe.
  • OK can someone post a link to the IP jacket?

That gore jacket looks a bit boil in the bag? I have something similar at the moment which is good for very cold / wet conditions but I am looking for something breathable for longer rides.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Castelli

Warning - it is not cheap*, thankfully I'm claiming this one on insurance.

*but dammit, you are worth it!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited January 2010
    OK can someone post a link to the IP jacket?

That gore jacket looks a bit boil in the bag? I have something similar at the moment which is good for very cold / wet conditions but I am looking for something breathable for longer rides.

I've no comparison but my morning goes like this.... leave house, cold, start cycling for a couple of minutes, start to level out in temperature, pick up the pace, start to over heat a little after 15 minutes, undo the jacket a little, find a happy medium, level out nicely and quickly forget about my body temp for the next hour.

I've ridden 40 miles at around 2-6 degrees in the dry without issue. Can depend on how good/thick the base layer underneath is. You need a long sleeve one, otherwise you get very sticky uncomfortable forearms as you can't role the sleeves up.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    I have the Assos AirJacket 851 which is really warm, windproof, water resistantish and very breathable. I normally wear that and a lycra baselayer and I am plenty warm enough down to around 0.

Only drawback is that I seem to be the one person in the world that Assos doesnt fit perfectly. I'm 6, 2 and weigh around 75kgs and find that my size large jacket is just a little too short, resulting in it riding up my back when cycling on the hoods or drops. Annoying as the extra large was loads too baggy on the body but fitted perfectly in length.....

Edit added detail on the OP question
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    edited January 2010
    The perfect jacket as in ideal in all conditions all seasons. Hmmm.

Not convinced there is such a thing.

I have a blue Rapha lightweight softshell (the Classic is thicker) for most of the year. My favourite. Brilliant. Windproof, breathable and packs down very small. And looks good enough to wear with jeans without shouting garish bike gear. But showerproof rather than waterproof (although dries almost straight away).

A blue (OK, but not as nice a shade as the Rapha) Gore Xenon waterproof shell for those days it is really chucking it down. Actually is completely waterproof. Breathability good. Looks OK. Warm because windproof, but not a winter jacket. Perfect for spring/autumn downpours. Packs down medium small.

A grey/black Gore Xenon winter jacket, almost completely waterproof and with warm bits on the chest and arms. Brilliant for when its freezing cold. Far too hot come March. And doesn't pack down particularly small.

Not the cheapest solution, I admit, but works for me.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Shoulder,

The rapha jacket is great but its not stowable in the way you suggest. I have a lightweight softshell from a few years ago and that (which is a lighter fabric than the classic softshell) is really to bulky to stuff in a jacket pocket.

The other thing I would say is that any membrane based fabric is not really breathable enough for hard CV exercise. But then I sweat like a B@stard so may not be true for everyone. The rapha "softshell" is not really a softshell in the purist sense (you need to be into a mountaineering to follow that whole debate) in that it is more waterproof and less breathable.

J
  • Snigget
    Snigget Posts: 24
    I like PI kit but not going to pack down small enough for a pocket

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pearl ... 360046211/
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I recently bought the classic softshell, it's really very good indeed kept me super toasty over the last couple of days, very well put together and fits like a treat, it also has the added bonus of looking good socially as well

I bought it before the 15% discount was released and I sent an email saying how mean it was for them to send me that mail... they gave me a voucher for the difference
    Rapha wrote:
    Simply enter code SOFT10 in to the Campaign Code box at checkout and click 'apply'.
    Buy the Classic Softshell:
    http://www.rapha.cc/classic-softshell-jacket

“A thing of beauty” – The Times

“The best road jacket money can buy” – Cycling Plus

This offer expires at midnight GMT on January 31st 2010 and may not be used in conjunction with any other promotion.

Apparently the Assos airblock is slightly warmer according to someone on the interwebs a couple months back, that's about as much as I can say
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    edited January 2010
    Gore Phantom windstopper softshell - £90(ish).

Has unzippable sleeves, so a 3 season jacket. Have only had a base layer over* the top, apart from the snow days.

So good, I bought a second one:
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/19245/Gore_Phantom_II_Jacket_2009

*EDIT: under :roll:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Thanks for all the replies some useful info here.

I should state that I am not looking for waterproof, just mild showerproof and I am not looking for an all seasons jacket, maybe 3 seasons though, winter and chilly autumn and spring days.

I am flexible on the stowable part if it is truly breathable.
  • If it's also not to be garish, OK to wear down the pub or cafe, IMO that would be the Rapha lightweight softshell. Cheaper than the classic as well.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Well here is mine it's made by Oneill that I bought 5yrs ago

myjacket.jpg

It's waterproof , warm and it has a hood ..
  • Clever Pun
    colintrav wrote:

I really don't like hoods for cycling it make shoulder checking tough and think of the wind resistance!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362

I chose this one

46770.jpg

It's bloody fantastic, similar performance to the Castelli and £100 cheaper.

(looks better IMO too)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    colintrav wrote:

I really don't like hoods for cycling it make shoulder checking tough and think of the wind resistance!

+1
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    To be fair to people most are going to recommend what they've got so you are very probably going to find a lot of different opinions.

I have a Gore Oxygen SO which is all the things you want minus the stowable and it says Gore Bike Wear. You also need a non-garish colour as there are some quite noticeable ones.

I tried another Rapha jacket (the softshell) when I was buying my Gore and I would avoid it if you are a tall bloke with longish arms as they are not really sized up for that kind of person.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I've got a Gore Falcon soft shell for the really cold stuff - but I find it too hot for all but the coldest days. Stands up to rain pretty well actually - not sure it's technically waterproof - but on clubruns I find I'm just as likely to be wet from the inside out if I've been working hard...

Normally just wear it with a merino base layer, and armwarmers so I've got something to tuck into my gloves to keep the wind out.

Also got an Assos Climajet waterproof jacket - normally have this in the jersey pocket just in case. Pricey though... probably more than I was comfortable with to be honest... Still, ought to last a while, since it isn't used that often really.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • My Aldi soft shell has been doing sterling work since the Autumn and right through the coldest of the winter so far. It seems waterproof, quite breathable and has a decent zip pocket for my phone. I know, I'm such a brand tart. :lol:
  • 2xu do a semi waterproof breathable cycling jacket which is awesome, like a flask, keeps you warm when cold and cool when warm, cost me about £100
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    gabriel959 wrote:
    I tried another Rapha jacket (the softshell) when I was buying my Gore and I would avoid it if you are a tall bloke with longish arms as they are not really sized up for that kind of person.

I have the lightweight softshell and its very very good. Showerproof and windproof. I think its far better than the classic as its lighter, much better to add layers and be more versatile/be able to use for more of the year. It's too thick for late spring summer. I use stowaway for then (also superb).

Dont agree with Gabriel's comments above, I'm 6'3" and it fits me perfectly.
  • Clever Pun
    gabriel959 wrote:

when was that? the XL fits me a treat and I'm 6'5
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • gabriel959
    About 4 weeks ago.

May be its only me - I am 6' 6" mind and the L fitted me (I am a 40") well but it had really short arms - I reckon the XXL (they didn't have one) would have been ok arms wise.

I have the same problem with Assos to be honest.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Clever Pun
    gabriel959 wrote:
    About 4 weeks ago.

May be its only me - I am 6' 6" mind and the L fitted me (I am a 40") well but it had really short arms - I reckon the XXL (they didn't have one) would have been ok arms wise.

the sizing shows the arms get longer with the increase in size... I tried L on, was ok but pretty damned tightso went for xl and it's fine

beef up man :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    gabriel959 wrote:
    About 4 weeks ago.

If you're born and bred Cambridge, it might have something to do with centuries of inbreeding. :wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • gabriel959
    teagar wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    About 4 weeks ago.

If you're born and bred Cambridge, it might have something to do with centuries of inbreeding. :wink:

Charming :lol: Not met many people from Cambridge since I started living here a couple of years ago but know what you mean! I am Spanish myself.
    the sizing shows the arms get longer with the increase in size... I tried L on, was ok but pretty damned tightso went for xl and it's fine

beef up man

Fatso!!! :):D

I am quite skinny for my height but not too skinny! A cycling coach told me I could go down to 80-82kg easily and am 90kg at the moment.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Clever Pun
    gabriel959 wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    About 4 weeks ago.

Charming :lol: Not met many people from Cambridge since I started living here a couple of years ago but know what you mean! I am Spanish myself.

beef up man

Fatso!!! :):D

I am quite skinny for my height but not too skinny! A cycling coach told me I could go down to 80-82kg easily and am 90kg at the moment.

44 chest from the gym not the pies...mmm pies. I'm about 10kg heavier than you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5