The best winter gloves in the world...ever!

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
After yesterday's finger-numbing ride in, I wasn't prepared to suffer again today. Having lost my old winter gloves, today I dug out a pair of neoprene diving gloves and used them on the ride in. I must say, they're probably better than the gloves I lost. They even have grippy bits on the fingertips for operating the levers. If anything, my hands were too warm and got a bit sweaty!

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I use a pair of old skiing gloves when it gets really cold. Used them today and yes, my hands did get a bit sweaty
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Silk liners for when it's really, really cold.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Thinsulate gloves £5 Asda

Job done
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thinsulate gloves £5 Asda

Job done

Nowhere near warm enough. My fingers get cold with a pair of those over my mtb gloves let alone just as a single layer.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My pearl izumi gavia gloves are neoprene, and almost too warm. The Castelli ones are good, not excessively warm like the izumis!
  • I was going to buy those Casetlli ones in November. Ended up just using my old Endura ones though.

Anyway, you're all babies! I'm wearing mitts again! It just seems really warm when it's above zero after riding at night when it was -15. :o
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    £1.99 child ski gloves from Aldi for me til the temp gets up to 10 degrees on a regular basis :)
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    neoprene gloves are too sweaty for me, although I agree they are wonderously waterproof. My hands end up wet from the skin outwards. And wet equals cold.

At the moment I am mostly wearing Aldi winter bike gloves+merino liners
    Or cheap ski mitts
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    When it's below freezing I wear my motorcycle gloves. They'd give weight weenies (and anyone concerned with aerodynamics) a heart attack but my hands stay warm pretty much indefinitely.
  • Not had any problems with my Campagnolo gloves that I got on the cheap in the Autumn. I've set of when it's -10 degrees, but my hands are warm after a few miles. They're even compatible with my Shimano shifters. :D
  • biondino
    Quick idiot's glove question - when Castelli describe these gloves as "3-season", does that mean minus summer, or minus winter?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    biondino wrote:
    Quick idiot's glove question - when Castelli describe these gloves as "3-season", does that mean minus summer, or minus winter?
    Ooh, dunno. I've got some nanos in black and they're not really full-on winter gloves... Probably a triumph of marketing over actuality.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • pip001
    pip001 Posts: 133
    +1 on the motorcycle gloves.commuted all winter in mine.really toasty and windproof.came in handy with the icy spills i had.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I had a pair of Trek gloves, similar to these Pearl Izumi "lobster" gloves; best gloves I ever had, they were even warm on the motorbike

BK.jpg
  • Marigold gloves filled with vermiculite.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Trek Mate Gore Tex, reduced from £35 to £15 last week.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... Toastyyyyyyy.......
  • Unfortunately it is now really hard to find decent lobster gloves anywhere :cry: I wish sealskinz made some.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    I got a pair of windproof winter gloves from decathlon, their own brand BTwin.
    They are really good, warm and not too bulky, they also have a nice big reflective piece on the back for signalling.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • biondino
    Unfortunately it is now really hard to find decent lobster gloves anywhere :cry: I wish sealskinz made some.

I just noticed Always Riding have some Craft lobster gloves for £30 - only in S and L at time of writing:

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/bodywear- ... e-635.html
  • I have terrible circulation problems- my hands (and feet) go numb even when the temperature is above freezing. I have a whole box full of gloves now having started my quest to find ones which stopped the freezing numbness. Well, I've just (2 or so weeks ago) bought the Craft Lobster gloves from Always Cycling. I used them on last week's Hell of the Ashdown ride (another thread will describe to you just how cold it was on that ride) and my hands were warm and toasty for all of the ride. I thoroughly recommend them. I have small sized hands yet I went for the medium Craft gloves. My hands are able to move about comfortably inside the gloves and there is space between my hands and the glove outers (they come with a removeable inner glove) and I believe this aids the warming/heat retention process. So, if you can get them in your size - do.
  • That should have been alwaysriding.co.uk and the correct web address is as below;

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/bodywear- ... e-635.html
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Started using sealskinz gloves and they are superb. I have the yellow ones, waterproof, bright, grippy, comfortable and fashionable.

Highly recomend them:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Sealskinz-Ultra ... _23001.htm

They even allowed me to be dexterous enough to open the humane mousetrap and ley my "passenger" free on the commute in.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I have the Gore Mistral Windstopper gloves. For some reason last winter I still had cold hands wearing them but this year I've been alright despite this winter being supposedly colder.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • seasonnie
    seasonnie Posts: 5
    marchant wrote:
    I had a pair of Trek gloves, similar to these Pearl Izumi "lobster" gloves; best gloves I ever had, they were even warm on the motorbike

BK.jpg

The gloves has especial design, it is so interesting, but don't know if it is convenient to use ? Now, i am so hesitant to buy this style gloves or standard gloves like following one
    http://www.sourcingmap.com/antifreezing ... 14498.html
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... =326623480

Buddys, would you please give me some valuable advise ?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited May 2010
    biondino wrote:

Minus Winter. I've got a pair and they are most definitely not for winter usage.

Duly Edited.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    biondino wrote:

Minus Summer. I've got a pair and they are most definitely not for winter usage.

Huh? If they aren't for Winter then surely you mean minus winter?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX