Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Top Ten Races to see...

greasedscotsmangreasedscotsman Posts: 7,224
edited January 2010 in Pro race
OK, here's my top ten races to spectate at, more about the atmosphere you get being there, what the other fans there are like, the scenery, rather than just how important the race is.

In no particular order...

1. Paris Roubaix
2. Tour of Flanders
3. Liege Bastogne Liege
4. Giro d'Italia ~ mountain stage
5. Tour de France ~ mountain stage
6. Tour de France ~ Final stage into Paris
7. World Championship Road Race
8. Tour of Lombardy
9. Ghent six
10. World Cyclo Cross Championships (in Belgium or Holland)

Posts

  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    So basically, the biggest one day races, and all the big stages in grand tours?

    And a couple token events for the non-roadies.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • timoid.timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I'd put the Tour number one, Flanders 2, Roubaix 3, World Championships 4 and Giro 5.

    So far I've managed to see the Tour only. Flanders is definitely next on the list.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,904
    Having seen two days of Track races at the Olympics, I'd definitely put that on there instead of, say, Lombardy - especially if GB are winning medals
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TommyEssTommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I really enjoyed the Worlds in September - and since that part of the world was so beautiful, I'm already working on a cunning plan to end up in that part of the world for the Giro di Lombardia.

    Might be able to wangle a trip to Morzine in July too, fingers crossed.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • teagar wrote:
    So basically, the biggest one day races, and all the big stages in grand tours?

    And a couple token events for the non-roadies.

    Well, not really. I haven't included the Vuelta or Milan San Remo. MSR is one of my favourite races, it's real edge of the seat stuff. Not sure I'd want to go and see it though. Also not sure about Liege either, it's quite tricky to see the real action in the race as it all happens in the last 20km or so.

    And I wouldn't say the Cyclo Cross is a token event, I went to see the 2006 Worlds in Hooglede-Gits, had a great weekend, recommend it very highly.
  • dulldavedulldave Posts: 949
    teagar wrote:
    So basically, the biggest one day races, and all the big stages in grand tours?

    And a couple token events for the non-roadies.

    Give the guy a break. Milan san Remo isn't in there and I think he's trying to start a discussion about the order of them as well.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    I've heard the Cauberg in Amstel Gold is one of the best places to watch cycling.

    The Dutch party harder than the Flemish...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • FJSFJS Posts: 4,820
    teagar wrote:
    I've heard the Cauberg in Amstel Gold is one of the best places to watch cycling.

    The Dutch party harder than the Flemish...

    There'll be lots of Flemish there too - it's just 20 miles or so from the border ;)
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    FJS wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    I've heard the Cauberg in Amstel Gold is one of the best places to watch cycling.

    The Dutch party harder than the Flemish...

    There'll be lots of Flemish there too - it's just 20 miles or so from the border ;)

    They need to learn how to party at bike races somehow.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDyvDxuAerk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vO461WEvDk

    You certainly don't see Flemish fans like that. (The 2nd link is a day before the race actually arrives at the Alp)
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • teagar wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    teagar wrote:
    I've heard the Cauberg in Amstel Gold is one of the best places to watch cycling.

    The Dutch party harder than the Flemish...

    There'll be lots of Flemish there too - it's just 20 miles or so from the border ;)

    They need to learn how to party at bike races somehow.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDyvDxuAerk

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vO461WEvDk

    You certainly don't see Flemish fans like that. (The 2nd link is a day before the race actually arrives at the Alp)

    Are those clips of the Dutch at Huez village on Alpe d'Huez? (can't watch them at work) :D

    They're very funny, although they tend to run out of steam a bit in the early evening. They all seem to join in with the songs coming out of their monster sound system, but there is one particular song where during the corus they all dance around holding their chairs above their heads! Not sure what that's all about.

    And I think I'd like to change LBL on my list for Fleche Wallonne. Just go to the Mur, see the men's race several times and there is a women's race too. Great day of racing!
  • le_patronle_patron Posts: 491
    The Tour is always good, but de Ronde is probably my top because :

    - It's very easy to get to from the UK
    - It's the first big race after a winter of increasing anticipation
    - You can ride the course the previous day with 1000's of others
    - You feel like a classics hardman after your ride (esp if weather is bad) and can justify lots of moule frites, kwak and gaufres liégeoises
    - You then head to the Geraardsbergen on race day, drink lots of Westemalles and watch the decisive move on the Muur.

    All in a weekend.
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    le patron wrote:
    The Tour is always good, but de Ronde is probably my top because :

    - It's very easy to get to from the UK
    - It's the first big race after a winter of increasing anticipation
    - You can ride the course the previous day with 1000's of others
    - You feel like a classics hardman after your ride (esp if weather is bad) and can justify lots of moule frites, kwak and gaufres liégeoises
    - You then head to the Geraardsbergen on race day, drink lots of Westemalles and watch the decisive move on the Muur.

    All in a weekend.

    Take it the Flemish weren't to cheesed off you went for the French over the Dutch names? :wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • le_patronle_patron Posts: 491
    teagar wrote:

    Take it the Flemish weren't to cheesed off you went for the French over the Dutch names? :wink:

    Where, gauffres or moules ? I used to live in a French speaking part of Brussels, probably explains that. Don't know what the flemish is for gauffres or moules. They go in my belly just the same.
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    Wafels and mossellen...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • le_patronle_patron Posts: 491
    Can you have Wafels Liegeois ? Seems a bit of an oxymoron.
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    *shrugs* no idea what they are. I'm sure they have their own Flemish name.

    I'm Dutch not Flemish. :wink:
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • i'd like to go see the Monte Paschi Strade Bianche Eroica
    ...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...
  • FJSFJS Posts: 4,820
    le patron wrote:
    Can you have Wafels Liegeois ? Seems a bit of an oxymoron.
    Luikse wafels. Not sure they use that in Vlaanderen, but that's what they're called in the Netherlands (in contrast to stroopwafels, that are much better ;) sorry getting off-topic, and hungry :))
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    FJS wrote:
    le patron wrote:
    Can you have Wafels Liegeois ? Seems a bit of an oxymoron.
    Luikse wafels. Not sure they use that in Vlaanderen, but that's what they're called in the Netherlands (in contrast to stroopwafels, that are much better ;) sorry getting off-topic, and hungry :))

    ( Speaking of Dutch cake/pastries and the like.. Give me boterkoek any day of the week. I LOVE boterkoek - can't get enough of it.)

    But yes, the Cauberg for Amstel Gold needs to be put up there in the top 10 as far as I'm concerned.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • shinyhelmutshinyhelmut Posts: 1,347
    Personally no.1 for me would be the Hawaii Ironman (preferably as a competitor)

    I guess I just have a thing about german men cycling in speedos :wink:

    2003_al-sultanfaris.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.