second set of wheels?

pip001
pip001 Posts: 133
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
hi, after commuting all this winter on my mtb with knobblies on, i have some semi slicks i,d like to put on but would like a second set of wheels for the job.can you give me an idea of what wheels i should go for.they wont really be used off road.if i can get a few ideas i can have a trawl around for some bargains hopefully.bikes a scott scale 30.
thanks .

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Budget?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    A couple of years ago, I bought a set of Shimanos for £100-odd. They've been great.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain-and-road-bike-wheels/factory-mountain-bike-wheels/shimano-deore-wheels.html

These look like a bargain. If you want the convenience of quickly swapping one set of wheels for the other, you might also need to think about factoring in the cost of new disc rotors and a new cassette. Otherwise the time you save not having to swap tyres and tubes will just be used changing rotors and cogs too.
    Rules are for fools.
  • pip001
    less than £100 hopefully. :lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Planet X is your friend, don't worry about going for the cheapest they do they're all good, i've spent a lot more money on custom openpro, Mavic & others the Planet X are the only ones still true and reasonably light, compared.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Try www.woollyhatshop.com for some cheaper wheel deals ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    You will probably also need to factor in new discs, chain and cassette, unless you want to swap all these over every time you change wheels.
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Opops - didn't fully read Waddlie's comment.

But I would recommend a chain too, because putting a worn chain on a new cassette is not good for wear, if it works at all.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Thought about doing this but didn't think the slight time gains would be worth the expense. How long does it take to swap a tyre over and re pump up? - not really so much more time consuming than swapping wheels with the advantage that it forces you to keep tyres up to pressure anyway. Plus less junk lying around!

I run slicks in the week and switch to knobblies for proper MTB work :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • pip001
    you may have a point rolf.i,d need some better tyre irons then,mine seem to be made of cheese.anyone recommend a set,they need to be really strong.