Am i being unrealistic, distance for chairty

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so i have set myself a stupid challenge to do 6000 miles by end of November this year, am i being unrealistic??

from may 20th to decemeber 20th i done bout 2000 miles last year, but was my first road bike and took couple of months to get used to it.

Its going to be a combination of commuting and long leisure rides

My commute to work can be 4 miles (wont be doing but will if wake up late) 8miles (which ill be doing until it gets bit lighter in morning) and then 17 miles from around april onwards. Commute home is 6 miles.

think is i only work 3 days per week and long shifts hence only one distance coming home. Is my target feesable or am i being unrealistic?

i have at least two days off in the week and go out for anything between 15-30 miles one of these days. I also do a guarenteed round trip of 45 miles every fortnight to visit family and at least one 60 mile ride a month

The distances dont bother me too much as i love going out on bike, but am i risking burnout, especially if im doing more than double the miles i done last year. would things be better if i got a shiny new road bike to go on leisure rides then i would have to ride more to justify new bike lol

Im raising money for chairty but there was no particular ride i fancied so just thought to set myself a target

Average weekly distance so far between 80-100 miles but going to have to up this to at least 160

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    It's definately do-able. Just enjoy yourself and the miles will tick off.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Now if you had said your also doing this for Charity my guess you would have had more replies ...

If a school kid can raise inexcess of 160,000 for the earthquake disaster fund ... then anything is possible ..
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    As McMulleJ pointed out on the SC stats - consistency is key.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • andy83
    i did say it was for charity which it is, but do you mean in the title?

also meant to add are there any decent blogs i can use to update and keep a record of the miles im doing.

if i aim for 600 miles a month then anything is a bonus i spose :)
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    It is 100% possible if you want to do it - but it is a question that only you can answer!

If you are the sort of person who looks out of the window and thinks "well its cold and rainy so maybe I will give it a miss" you probably wont, but if you set your mind to it and get on with it then definitely you can and will do it!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • andy83
    prawny wrote:

think enjoying myself is the big key to this

It is 100% possible if you want to do it - but it is a question that only you can answer!

If you are the sort of person who looks out of the window and thinks "well its cold and rainy so maybe I will give it a miss" you probably wont, but if you set your mind to it and get on with it then definitely you can and will do it!

im the sort of person who loved going out in the snow and when i set my mind to it a do summin.

Its also a mental barrier for me, i have an ongoing muscle illness which prevented me from cycling throughout december, january and feb last year. this year ive already got over that barrier and cycled all through the year. also the chairty is my brothers respite centre which he will stop using in december so its a little thank you for all the help they have give
  • prawny
    andy83 wrote:
    i did say it was for charity which it is, but do you mean in the title?

also meant to add are there any decent blogs i can use to update and keep a record of the miles im doing.

if i aim for 600 miles a month then anything is a bonus i spose :)

Join SC stats. young CIB has set up a fantastic website for loggin miles.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • andy83
    yea thought about that, but would i be able to add any rides in or is it strictly commuting??

actually if its just commuting then will motivate me to do more on my commute or ill just have to do a fake commute some days when im off :)
  • prawny
    Also I want to do some more miles so me you whyamihere and any of the other locals should do a get together or two in the summer. Well if them southerners can do it why can't we? We could stop off at a pub for a pint of mild halfway round.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    andy83 wrote:
    yea thought about that, but would i be able to add any rides in or is it strictly commuting??

actually if its just commuting then will motivate me to do more on my commute or ill just have to do a fake commute some days when im off :)

They all count:

http://www.startfarm.co.uk/aspStats/rules.aspx
    SC Stats Rules.

This for fun but we take it seriously, some more than others but it's good clean fun.

Rule 1. Play fair, and no cheating.

There is no log-in [yet]. Stats works on a trust basis; anyone abusing this trust is likely to be removed from the Stats list, and mocked heavily in the SC Stats thread.

Rule 2. Add Genuine Cycling Miles Only.

Although the word Commuting features heavily in this competition, it is a race to do more road miles than anyone else in a calendar year. Thus, all outdoor miles must be added to your Stats.

Indoor miles do not count. Miles on rollers, turbo trainers or any Heath Robinson type conveyor belt attached to a dynamo to watch TV in the garage do not count. Do not add these miles.

Inddor miles in the context of rollers, trainers etc done outside on the patio etc are still deemed to be indoor miles, and can not be added to your Stats miles.

All other miles must be added, as long as they can genuinely be counted as cycling miles. Any distance on any bike should be added as long as it can be convincingly argued to be 'a proper bike ride'.

The defintion of 'a proper bike ride' may be adjudicated by whoever shouts loudest on the thread. The final decision however will be taken by CiB if agreement cannot be reached.

Rule 3. Obey All The Rules.

Go for it... and join the thread too..
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    prawny wrote:
    Also I want to do some more miles so me you whyamihere and any of the other locals should do a get together or two in the summer. Well if them southerners can do it why can't we? We could stop off at a pub for a pint of mild halfway round.
    This. I'll be living in Selly Oak from July Andy if you feel like a few long weekend rides. Riding to Staffordshire, meeting prawny, going to the pub and riding home should be a decent jaunt. ;)
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    andy83 wrote:
    prawny wrote:

think enjoying myself is the big key to this

im the sort of person who loved going out in the snow and when i set my mind to it a do summin.

Its also a mental barrier for me, i have an ongoing muscle illness which prevented me from cycling throughout december, january and feb last year. this year ive already got over that barrier and cycled all through the year. also the chairty is my brothers respite centre which he will stop using in december so its a little thank you for all the help they have give

Nice one - get stuck in and the miles will roll by. Once the weather cheers up you should focus on organising a few weekend jaunts to a town or place of interest 40-50 miles from home - cycle there, have some food etc and cycle home. Easy miles.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • I live in the "vaguely near but not quite in Birmingham" area so might be interested in a weekend ride as well
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    andy83 wrote:
    Ok so i have set myself a stupid challenge to do 6000 miles by end of November this year, am i being unrealistic??

IMHO, It depends: are you married? With children?
    If you answered no to both of those, then your target is 100% achievable.

Reason being, if you end up sacrificing something to achieve the goal, only you will suffer.
  • andy83
    Thanks for all replies
    prawny wrote:

yea that sounds a good idea. I have one friend who i can go on rides with but he has heavy work commitments and two young kids and a wife so time is limited. ill have a coke at the pub but afraid im tee total :D
    andy83 wrote:

IMHO, It depends: are you married? With children?
    If you answered no to both of those, then your target is 100% achievable.

Reason being, if you end up sacrificing something to achieve the goal, only you will suffer.

I live with my girlfriend and have responsibilites looking after my bro aswell but the plus point is as i said before i can have upto 3 days off midweek each week, so can do long rides then, also she even tells me to go for rides sometimes cos she knows ill be just down right miserable if i dont. Exercise is my one vice, dont smoke, drink, gamble or go out on weekends til all hours, oh and i got a season ticket so suppose that is one aswell
    This. I'll be living in Selly Oak from July Andy if you feel like a few long weekend rides. Riding to Staffordshire, meeting prawny, going to the pub and riding home should be a decent jaunt. Wink

I really want a ride to shrewsbury or over that way so may be nice to get one done and can go through cannock chase on the way. is it a coincidence that your moving there when all the students will have left lol

ill be joining the stats shortly. gutted cos not all my miles from two weeks riding in the snow are recorded, i know roughly but not going to add these.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I think if you are going for the charity bit most people would be impressed if you said 3,000 miles so perhaps under promise and over deliver (still go for 6k).

Might be worth selling the charity idea by labelling the distance with something like "the equivalent of London to New York". A bit like the way Wales, football pitches or buses are used in the media to give people a sense of scale.
  • andy83
    yea can see your point, just think 6000 sounds a lot better

does anyone know any ways that people can donate to me online. Dont want to use justgiving as charity needs to register and pay £15 a month. Its not a big organisation just a small respite centre. I thought the old school way of giving forms out but then its a faff getting all the money. I will do this but wanted an easier way for people to donate. Should I use my paypal account and just ask people to send as gift or would this seem dodgy to some people

thanks in advance
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    iirc people can donate to a paypal account. Someone I know on another forum needed to raise the last £500 that she needed so she could go and teach in Rawanda and she had the donations made straight into her paypal account.

ofc she was a very active member on that forum so everyone knew what she was trying to achieve. People may be more wary of sending money to someone they don't know.
  • andy83
    cheers for that

i was looking to give the paypal option to people who actually know me. I have started a blog for my journeys so there i could put when and what people have donated via paypal so that people who donate can see i have acknowledged it.

Its just a place close to my heart and done a lot for my family so want to help in anyway i can and if people can donate online or electronically its just a lot easier nowadays
  • 20 miles a day- seems doable to me