Staying in Dumfries - without car

KonaKula09
KonaKula09 Posts: 23
edited January 2010 in Routes
Hi,
I've been a reader of these forums for a while now and thought it was time to join!
Me and my brother are staying in Dumfries for a few days in February and are planning on riding the nearby Ae Forest, Dalbeattie and Mabie.

Neither of us have a car so we will have to ride to each place or find another way. They are 7, 11 and 17 miles away from where we are staying which is going to be a pain, don't really want to get to the trail centre already knackered, ride it and then have to do the same journey back!
Was just wondering if any of you have stayed here and know of any public transport (bike friendly) that we could get. Need to save our legs for the proper trails!

Thanks

Comments

• Speak to John or Euan here;http://www.cycle-centre.com/ . They have a van and run the shop at Mabie

Steve or Rob here;http://www.ae7.co.uk/. Steve & Mary who owns the shop/cafe start around 9/10am so may be able to transport you out. Easy ride back.

What dates?

I work shifts and may be off and help you out or arrange a mate or 2 to do so?

Where are you staying?

The roads out to Mabie and Ae are pretty flat. There is a Sustrans cycle path part of the way to Ae based on the old railway line. I would then advise you following the Sustrans route out to Ae, the main 701 is way too dangerous for biking!!
  • Hi thanks for the help, I will get in touch with those people and see if there's a possibility of getting a lift.

We are staying monday 15th feb and leaving on the 19th. We are staying at the Auchenfranco Cottage which is a few miles outside of Dumfries, postcode is DG2 8NY.

Been having a look on the 7stanes website and yeah it sounds like the cycle path you mentioned will be the best way to reach each place, minimize biking on the main roads!
  • Cheers
    Just checked work pattern.
    Can offer you transport on the 16th & 18th if you like?
  • Just had a look at streetmap to find where you are staying.
    You can get into Mabie forest from the Dalbeattie Rd. There is a forest/farm road entrance under the red A711 road id.If you cycle along the white road past Lochrutton and aim for the forest road passing Lochaber(Mabie blue/green route)
    If you have a look on streetmap and use the zoom to 1;25000 or 1;50000 you can follow the tracks easily. Print off the Mabie map from 7Stanes for a guide
  • Thanks for the streetmap info, ive had a look at the route you suggested and that seems like a good one, wouldn't be much trouble riding there.

I'll have to have a look for a similar route into Dalbeattie aswell.

Thats very kind of you to offer a lift, that would be great to get a lift to Ae as its the furthest one away from us! Whatever is best for you though. Will you be riding there aswell, have you ridden all of these places?

Cheers
  • I'll have to have a look for a similar route into Dalbeattie aswell.

Ride out from your base to Kirkgunzeon and take the back road from there to Howies sawmill and then cross the road into the forest through a gate where it says Cloak Moss on the Stanes Dalbeattie map. Use streetmap again to follow this guide.
    Thats very kind of you to offer a lift, that would be great to get a lift to Ae as its the furthest one away from us! Whatever is best for you though.

nae bother
    Will you be riding there as well, have you ridden all of these places?

Yes and YES, often, I live in Dumfries.

http://s95.photobucket.com/home/bigjohnskona

Use the PM button to send me a message and we can swap telephone numbesr/e-mail addy etc.