Before next winter I am definitely going to buy...

Mountainboy2465
Mountainboy2465 Posts: 121
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
A Buffalo Cycle Shirt and a decent set of proper winter cycling boots, feet like blocks of ice by the time I got home again tonight.

What does riding in these conditions make you think you _definitely_ need?

Comments

• fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    A single speed bike. :D
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    a CX with studded tyres.

i already have the winter boots, cant recommend them enough.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Once you've got all that stuff (and I do, apart from the CX), you'll just end up sitting there in the middle of January buying stuff you won't have a chance to use for at least another three months. Like me :oops:

It's a vicious circle.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Winter boots are a must, I've got 2 pairs, one for SPD and the other SPD-SL, I consider them to be essential for me, I suffer badly from cold feet.
  • Thermometers in South Wales must read lower than elsewhere in the country. I've seen minus 9 *C before setting off for work & all i wear is a few layers with a gillet over the top, standard summer shoes and MTB gloves... I'll be wearing the same kit, just less of it all year round!

Before next winter i need reliable lighting. I've killed every rear light i've had.
    tmacsigcopy.jpg
  • Thermometers in South Wales must read lower than elsewhere in the country. I've seen minus 9 *C before setting off for work & all i wear is a few layers with a gillet over the top, standard summer shoes and MTB gloves... I'll be wearing the same kit, just less of it all year round!

Before next winter i need reliable lighting. I've killed every rear light i've had.

How far do you commute?
    I am riding for pretty much 3 hours a day at the moment, wearing insufficient clothing for the conditions (and you are if that is all you are wearing at -9) just adds to the energy loss and I am not fit enough at the moment to spare, or waste, any!
  • fenboy369 wrote:
    A single speed bike. :D

+1, only just got a road bike, but I'm finding it hard to resist...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Winter boots are excellent, pair them with good winter socks and super toasty dry feet

layers are also your friends
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ...and if someone could recommend a pair of Winter boots to buy - it would be much appreciated
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    ...and if someone could recommend a pair of Winter boots to buy - it would be much appreciated

Northwave Celcius or Farenhiet (depending on whether you want spd or 3 bolf fitting), assuming they suit the shape of your feet.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107

a session with the shrink
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540

A villa in Spain to retreat to in Winter. :D (I wish)
    Cycling weakly
  • bigease
    bigease Posts: 86

Northwave Celcius or Farenhiet (depending on whether you want spd or 3 bolf fitting), assuming they suit the shape of your feet.

I second that. I have had Shimano, and now have Northwave and the later are definately warmer and drier. Couldn't recommend that highly enough.

As for what I would want before next Winter, I think new wheels for the Fixie, as mine are getting very tired.
    Specialized Single Cross: FCN +4 IMAGE

Trek Madone 5.2: FCN +3 IMAGE
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I have Sidi Diablo winter goretex boots. The trick is to buy this kind of stuff in June when nobody else is, it's cheaper. I paid £100 for the Sidi boots and £50 for my Shimano RW02 boots.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    this winter, i realised that my so-call winter gloves is only suitable for winter in Spain!! :shock:

only keep my hands slightly warmer than my MTB summer gloves in this weather. what a joke!!! :x

apart from that im fine. wearing thick socks with my MTB spd seem keep my toes pretty warm. :D
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    skyd0g wrote:

A villa in Spain to retreat to in Winter. :D (I wish)

haha.. i live in spain and it is REALLY cold... my beard had icicles in in this morning. i guess you were thinking more of the canary islands...
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    The buffalo shirt is exceptionally warm. Approaching excessive.
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    Does anyone make womens specific cycling boots? I am female with small and narrow feet, most mens cycling shoes will not fit atall.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    hells wrote:
    Does anyone make womens specific cycling boots? I am female with small and narrow feet, most mens cycling shoes will not fit atall.

These if the right size:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=9499
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos