Sizing Me Up?

Teqqles
Teqqles Posts: 20
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
In a follow-up to my previous (What should I buy?) thread I've thrown my lot at a Genesis Croix De Fer, now I just need to know frame sizing, none of my locals have the sizes I'll need to try in stock so I'm hoping there is someone here of roughly my size with an idea of what I should go for. I'm 6'2 1/2" with an inside length (for trousers) of 34", to the floor of about 36", I'm currently looking at the 60cm frame but if I need a smaller one I'll have to wait til April :(

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Honestly if you are going to spend nearly £1000 you want to test ride some options... there's a lot around for that mark. Not the sort of decision you want to get wrong.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    IP is 100% right, you really should be looking at a test ride.
    As for sizing, you really should be looking at a fitting of some sort, even if it's just sitting on a few different sized ones.
    It's got a sloping top tube. The old seat tube measurement idea doesn't apply anymore. If you really really need a number, look at the virtual top tube length, which is more about torso/arm length than inside leg size.
    Don't think you can get away with sitting on other bikes to get the right size either. Different frame geometries will mean you will need different VTT lengths on each frame.
  • Teqqles
    Teqqles Posts: 20
    I guess you're right, I'll have a look around and see if I can fine a store with one in stock I can try out for size and see if it is comfortable, fitting things in around work is never easy :)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Teqqles wrote:
    I guess you're right, I'll have a look around and see if I can fine a store with one in stock I can try out for size and see if it is comfortable, fitting things in around work is never easy :)

Neither is returning a bike that doesn't fit and doesn't ride like you'd hoped...
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I wouldn;t just be asking for a test ride - I;d expect a fitting session thrown in (or pay and take of the cost of the bike when you purchase). Until the fitting's done, how do you know the bike you're testing is the right size/set up correctly?
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Whilst I do agree with what's been said above, and would always want to try out a new bike before buying it, when I bought mine I didn't.

I used an on-line fit calculator, and persuaded the Mrs to measure me up.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

I got good results, and my BeOne turns out to be nicer than the various bikes I tried. I **WAS** lucky in this, I realise.