SKS Chromoplastic mudguard fitting

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Can someone confirm that there should be mount between the mudguard and the chainstay just behind the bottom bracket? I can see three holes on the mudguard but no fixing. LBS appears to have missed it out when they fitted it.

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    As above, my Tricross' frame has a mounting point screw hole thingy on the bridging piece between the two chainstays, immediately behind the BB shell.
  • kelsen
    Nice one. Thanks guys. I'll be off to throw a hissy fit at the LBS.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    On the rear SKS I have a scren in attachment near the BB. I did fit them myself so there may well be other ways of doing it.

One thing I did notice is that there wasn't a parts list in the box, and I'm convinced that some bits were missing as I had to add a few of my own bolts.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    kelsen wrote:
    I'll be off to throw a hissy fit at the LBS.

To be fair though, if your frame doesn't have that mounting point (I understand it's not uncommon for bikes to be missing that particular hole yet still have all the rest) then there's nothing the LBS can do except miss that one out and just use the rest.

You might be able to get one added to your frame but that would be a job for a frame builder, not for your LBS.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I've also seen mudguards come with a clip, which goes over the tube just behind the BB (assuming your bike has such a tube).

Can't remember whether my SKS guards came with such a clip (I didn't need it). If they did I'll probably still have it, and happy to send it on to you...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    My frame has that hole but it came nowhere near lining up to the mudguards - I just tacked on as much as I could - it rattles but at least my arse is dry.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    My Pompino has cantilever mounts, so there was no brake calliper hole in which to brace the top of the rear guard with the conventional bracket - but On-One did provide a threaded hole beneath the place where the seat stays meat (pointing down to the hub pretty much) - wasn't too difficult to drill a little hole into the mudguard to match up and screw the guard directly in - think I managed it with just a penknife - just take it steady!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Try a cable tie ? My fixed frame has the mounts, but neither of my road bikes have any.
  • leoccp
    leoccp Posts: 45
    My road bike also has no "chainstay bridge" so I used a cable tie around the stays and clip the guard over this with the metal p shaped clip that is supposed to go over a non-drilled bridge (I had to dremel the end of the guard down to a pointier 'V" though).
  • PM me with a e-mail address and I will scan the instructions for the set I fitted last week. I had several nuts and bolts left over if you need any of those as well.
  • kelsen
    Thanks for the replies and offers to send me fixing bits. I do have a mounting point on the bridge between the chainstays as it's a Tricross same as Jamey's. To be honest, I'm using a cable tie right now and it does the job just fine, but gonna pop into the LBS anyway to see whether they've missed out some parts when fitting it.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    kelsen,

SKS mudguards are great but they dont come with a comprehensive fixing kit mainly I think because there is a huge variety of mounting points on different frames. It is often necessary to drill the mudguards to line up with the available mounting points on your frame. None of this excuses the bike shop for not having done this! I orginally used a cable tie to mount the guards myself. When I had the bike serviced the mechanic had kindly stripped off my slightly dodgy mounting and done it all properly. Which was nice.

BTW for frames without a chainstay bridge, SKS actually make a clip on bridge which is more secure and neater than a cable tie.

Cheers,

J