Bullet proof MTB commuting tyres

jeepie
jeepie Posts: 497
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Peeps,

I've got 8 punctures in 1,000 miles with my Mountain King 2.2. tyres on my Genesis. This is way too many for me. Could anyone who commutes by MTB recommend an alternative e.g. the Schwalbe Marathon Pluses of mountain bike tyres?

Much appreciated. Had to ride in the err hybrid today and this last puncture is the last straw.... The reviews of the Mountain Kings were good, but I'm wondering if these are the real deal on a factory build....

Cheers

J

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    You haven't said what type of terrain you will be covering... If it is roads and pavement I would go slicks (they usually have some kind of protection) or if it is something a little more muddy/rocky commute I would stick some Freeride/AM tyres to prevent p**ctures.
  • jeepie
    Terrain wise - I'd say it's pretty benign, but my puncture record suggests otherwise. I will cover muddy trails, towpaths and roads. I'm not too worried about speed, more reliability.

Cheers J
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not great in the mud, but my Spesh Armadillos have been brilliant. They're about seven years old.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    IME, anything with tall knobs tends to keep punctures at bay when on towpaths and roads.
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    I have also got Spesh Armadillos but granted I have only done about 250 miles since I have got them. Seem pretty good tho as I have ridden over a few nasty things by mistake
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I had some Spec Hemisphere Armadillos, and took them to a couple of Canary Islands: Sharp volcanic rocks, cactus, thorny plants/branches? Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, NO punctures!

Being slick, they were a bit slippery on the red volcanic dust that lines the trails, but on loose, rocky climbs - no problem!
    Descending: Just had to take it easier.

COMMUTING: They were great.
  • +1 for the Armadillos. Ran over an empty pint glass with them, no probs...
  • jeepie
    Great. A consensus! I'll get some Spesh Armadillos then! Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Jeepie