Newport beginners drop in sessions

mattsccm
mattsccm Posts: 409
edited April 2010 in Track
tell me all I need to know about the beginners spec drop in sessions at Newport. We are a mixed bag. I'm the only one who has ridden a fixed ( around lots of gravel cycle tracks for years) and also the only one who has ridden on a track (Newcastle near Stoke on a road bike, once,so it doesn't really count) .
What happens, what do we need. I assume its trainers and toe clip adaptors as SPD mtb shoes will be bugger all good. how long riding etc.
sorry for daft questions but website doesn't help much and why waste the time of some poor soul on the phone.
Ta

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    You'll get bike fitted, talk/info on helmets/safety, then slow ride at low level, blue line area.
    Then if you're deemed "Worthy", get a full spin on the track proper.
    Found it weird, coming from Mtb/Road/Tri background, but can see why it's addictive.

I tend to find some of the coaches full of their own self-importance, so don't expect a laid back atmosphere. Bit regimental, with "think you can ride a bike then, eh Sonny?" approach by some.

I got right up to the top of the banking on first ride, but then I'm good...so why do I keep crashing my MTB???? OH, because I'm crap!
    I know it's 30 miles West, but an "Oh! What's occurin!" wouldn't go amiss!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Most of last reply is crother than riding on the blue and then maybe on tthe track.
    As for the regimented coacehs, I personally know all the coaches and they are great and the biggest problem is not with the coaches being regimental, more than some beginners thinking they are Chris Hoy!!
    The reason it is more regimented for beginners courses is for safety reasons. It is very easy to loose concentration as a beginner and crash. The most common reasons being slowing down and going to slow to get roun the bend. I need about 17mph to get round safely, kids can manage less being lighter.
    Another cause is people forgetting to pedal, sounds stupid but believe me it happens, leg gets locked out and over the top you go :D
    It is not rocket science riding round, it is more about familiarity and getting used to it, then it becomes natural.
    Most of the accidents during training are by people who think they are good but aren't.
    Safety for beginners is paramount and it hurts more when you come off on the track when going slow than when going fast :D I know I burnt my arse when I cam off on the blue for a cup of tea doing about 5 mph!!
    It iw well worth doing just to get used to it and the coaches will soon let yopu know if your good enough to go on intermediate or other sessions.
    Personally I have a lot of respect for the coaches there and they have produced some great riders, if you want to see how good, go and see them with the kids on a saturday.
    Splottboy, if your that good I suggest you go along and race with the ODP guys on a Tuesday and train with all the kids on the SQT session on a tursday night then report back :D
  • i kinda felt some of the coaches were abit off putting and although i know they are only trying to keep you from running before you can walk so to speak, i still feel there was room for a different approach. some people like myself just like to jump in the deepend!

for me the coaches were what put me off, however the reason i stopped going altogether was a fitness issue. i found the jump in pace and duration from the newbie sesh was fairly big and i found myself coming off the track for a drink and a puff on my inhalor half way through something.

i would have prefered to be able to just go along and ride but obviously if you had 20 riders on track with no idea on track riding it would be havoc so i understand why the coaches are there. every now and again someone would get shouted at for going to fast or going to slow or overtaking..one coach once questioned why I wore the keos after he spotted me nearly go over still attached to the pedals, like I wasnt allowed or something
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • Splottboy
    Yeah, I can't have been THAT good, otherwise why were we coaching U23 WCU riders in Manchester, Newport, Calshot?
    Oh, and Mtb in Gwydyr Forest, Afon Argoed, and the New Forest?
    And roads around Cowbridge, Barry, Porthcawl, Treforest, Cardiff, Newport, Chepstow?
    Think there was a guy called "Geraint Thomas" or something, who we took to the Jnr Tour of Wales and Ireland as well.

NAW, I couldn't have been any good, could I ?
    Must have been my imagination...
  • How do you get started at Newport? I have been waiting for months to get on the beginners course. Me and two mates were told we would be on the course at the start of january, then it was delayed to Feb and we still have no start date.

Is it possible to go to drop in sessions without accreditation? I did drop in on a Friday night once and we were accommadated by a very friendly coach and a great set of riders. Is this the done thing?

Any advice welcome.

Oh, and lighten up splottboy!
  • Splottboy
    STIG: Point taken, Boyo!
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Is it possible to go to drop in sessions without accreditation?
    You do not need accreditation to ride the drop-in sessions at Newport. Accreditation is riders wishing to develop and want to do the SQT sessions and if you want to race at the track league.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218
    From the Newport Velodrome website
    Accreditation is required should you wish to compete in the track leagues. It is also strongly recommended that you achieve accreditation before competing in any other track event. Accreditation will also ensure that you have the requisite skills to safely participate in any drop-in session.
  • Got a call from the velodrome this evening.Booked up for the next set of sessions.

Must be the power of bikeradar.
  • Pross
    I'm waiting on a call to get in the March session. Can't wait :D
  • oldwelshman
    Splottboy wrote:
    Yeah, I can't have been THAT good, otherwise why were we coaching U23 WCU riders in Manchester, Newport, Calshot?
    Oh, and Mtb in Gwydyr Forest, Afon Argoed, and the New Forest?
    And roads around Cowbridge, Barry, Porthcawl, Treforest, Cardiff, Newport, Chepstow?
    Think there was a guy called "Geraint Thomas" or something, who we took to the Jnr Tour of Wales and Ireland as well.

NAW, I couldn't have been any good, could I ?
    Must have been my imagination...
    I guess ypu must have been with Courtney then :D
  • oldwelshman
    They are quite flexible and for the day drop in sessions sometimes theres only a few riders there and even if new can go in betweek routines doing your own thing.
    Today there was a paraolympian traing, a couple of good riders, and some beginners so a total mixture all doing their own thing inbetween general laps.
    Fri night is vets 4pm to 7pm, no accreditaion required but it can get very busy, last couple of weeks, 40+ riders a session (40 on track at a time)
    from 7pm is sprint training.
    Thurs is SQT and should be acredited but there are some who are regular that are not actually acerdited but have been there and ridden the session regular for couple of years just not done the acreditation.
  • Splottboy
    Yep, not riding the track, but teaching/tutoring/assessing nearly every BC Level 2 Coach and Mtb Leaders course they had at one time, even Shane was supposed to do my course, LOL!!
    Ran courses at the WIS, Manchester, Newport Velo and Maindee etc.
    To be honest, the Manchester coaches were the most bolshy, but it sometimes carries over.

Running the Talent Team was great, with good riders too. But felt that the WCU tried to get XC, Cyclocross, Time Trailists, DH etc to ALL ride the track, even when they didn't want to.

The good old days...Probably still the same?
  • mattsccm: you get a choice of bike with toe clips or Look pedals (old style Delta cleats). Some have QR seatbolts but not all, so bring a multi-tool just in case - if it's a busy session they might not have enough spare bikes to give you a QR post.

If you can ride a bike then you should have no problem as long as you are sensible. And if you're a MTB'er then the banking should hold no fear :wink: Speed is your friend.

The coaches are looking for basic riding ability and that you can ride safely on a track e.g. awareness of yourself and other riders, look behind you before every move (can't stress that one enough), that you don't stop pedalling (bit of a disaster on a fixie) etc etc

I understand the comments about the coaches but I've found them to be an ok bunch. It's not an environment for messing about in, and if it gets too relaxed and casual you get accidents - and in a bunch that is going to hurt. For me it works, as the style you might want for MTB training, for example, is not what you want on a track. I've found them to be firm but fair.

You can ride drop in sessions without accreditation, and in theory you could turn up to one as a complete beginner. However, as soon as it became clear that your riding was not up to standard you would get pulled, if you hadn't already been flamed to death by the other riders :lol:

As they are getting so busy you're more likely to be age checked for the vets drop in, to make sure that you are over 40 - gutted I wasn't asked last week :cry:
    It doesn't get any easier, but I don't appear to be getting any faster.
  • oldwelshman
    mattsccm: you get a choice of bike with toe clips or Look pedals (old style Delta cleats). Some have QR seatbolts but not all, so bring a multi-tool just in case - if it's a busy session they might not have enough spare bikes to give you a QR post.

If you can ride a bike then you should have no problem as long as you are sensible. And if you're a MTB'er then the banking should hold no fear :wink: Speed is your friend.

The coaches are looking for basic riding ability and that you can ride safely on a track e.g. awareness of yourself and other riders, look behind you before every move (can't stress that one enough), that you don't stop pedalling (bit of a disaster on a fixie) etc etc

I understand the comments about the coaches but I've found them to be an ok bunch. It's not an environment for messing about in, and if it gets too relaxed and casual you get accidents - and in a bunch that is going to hurt. For me it works, as the style you might want for MTB training, for example, is not what you want on a track. I've found them to be firm but fair.

You can ride drop in sessions without accreditation, and in theory you could turn up to one as a complete beginner. However, as soon as it became clear that your riding was not up to standard you would get pulled, if you hadn't already been flamed to death by the other riders :lol:

As they are getting so busy you're more likely to be age checked for the vets drop in, to make sure that you are over 40 - gutted I wasn't asked last week :cry:

I was asked for verification of age by a very very attractive blonde receptionist, :lol: she must be new, not see her before :lol: Thinks she may have been taking the pissxx :D
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Well none of us would be under 40 and one is closer to 70 than 60. Just Nowt wrong with his riding though. Just as long as they have plenty of toe clips.
    Is it to our advantage to be vets? ie more spaces etc
    Just screwed a fixed spocket on to the SS cross bike, my usual spring training tool method
  • In my own opinion, everyone should be accredited before being allowed to take part in any serious training or drop in session. There are plenty of beginners courses that lead straight into acreditation, these are well run and structured. Of all the cycling disciplines, track cycling is the one where safety is easily managed in threory by the coach as he can and should exercise control over what is taking place on the track. A lot of beginners who are good strong riders think that they already have the skills needed to be OK on the track which having been involved in a crash recently, can verify this definitely is not sufficient to be a proficient rider.

By the way Dai, was there yesterday and saw Simon Richardson knocking out flying 250s under 11.5 secs. Thats a bit tasty.
  • Pross
    I'd agree with that, I've just completed the beginner's course and wouldn't have fancied turning up and riding without it. Even at the end of the 4 weeks there were a couple of riders who were a bit dangerous! Onto the improvers in 3 weeks then I'm doing my accreditation. I then have the real challenge of persuading the wife I need a track bike :lol:
  • There's an improvers just started on Monday eves. I rode a few on the sunday nights until a couple of weeks ago as "training" even experienced trackies would benewfit from a couple of these sessions. It's worrying how few experienced riders know how to come off the track safely and sensibly, most people just simply start slowing right down on the track, and those on the cote d'azure slow right up leaving now way down!
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    It's worrying how few experienced riders know how to come off the track safely and sensibly, most people just simply start slowing right down on the track, and those on the cote d'azure slow right up leaving now way down!
    If you don't say anything to them then you should mention this to the coach running the session who should pick people up on this - there should be no shame in reminding even experienced riders of their responsibility/contribution to everyone's safety.
    ...was there yesterday and saw Simon Richardson knocking out flying 250s under 11.5 secs. Thats a bit tasty.
    Do you mean flying 200s? That's more likely for an 11.5.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • @ Eddy Thhe message gets through eventually.

200m - I probably did, not sure of the length of the newport track, and I may have even misheard the timing of each lap, all i know he looked bloody quick!
  • Pross
    Steve, the track is 250m but I'm not sure if they time over the whole length?

I would have been on the improvers yesterday but I'm away for 2 of the 4 sessions so will be doing the next one.
  • Thought it was. There was only 9 of us at a lunch time drop in, it hurt! There are some good sessions that run in the winter - Cwmcarn have just taken over running a wednesday night session that will start up again in Oct. Mixed abilities, so often 2 groups of up to 30-35 riders in total. We do the usual stuff: scratch, devil, train station amongst the usual mix of taking laps, one lap sprints etc. We mnaged to keep it to £4-£5 each for 90 minute session.
  • oldwelshman
    I have been down on the drop in session and ridden with SImon. It is definately 200m no way would he do 250m in that time :D Actually not many top rides would do a 11s lap
    He is doing good times for pursuit now, I was pacing just behind him and I think as his handicap has changed he now has to do 4km in his events whereas if he did masters he would only do 3km :D I think the team sprint men medalists in the worlds did a 12.1sec for man 2 and man 3. Sure Eddy will have the exact figures but if they cannot get below 12 dont think Simon is doing a short 11 :D
  • oldwelshman
    Pross, the flying times are for 200m, you will see the black line 50m past the finish line on the banking.
    For events it is 3 laps with the last 200m timed.
    You start slow abiut 18mph , move up the track over first lap gradually speeing up, then on 2nd lap 1st bend ride just below the fence, speed up then on 2nd bend and up to the fence, out of saddle at end of bend and go for it and just before finish line startt coming down to hit the 200m line on the black and hold the black all the way to the line so your flat out for probably 300/350m.
    Quite tiring !!
    I have video clips of Becky James and Lewis Oliver doing them but to big to put on net as I did them in HD !!
  • Dai, wil you be there next Tuesday lunchtime? I'm in and ready for a shredding!
  • oldwelshman
    Nah I started new job so havent been down in ages, so I will be glad whem the track league starts up here.
    I am hoping to get down, possibly next friday for vets, that seems the safest session :D
  • I talked to Steve about doing the vets, and he smiled "10 miles in 20 minutes flat" hmmmm. I would have gone tomorrow night if i wasnt going to castle combe
  • Pross, the flying times are for 200m, you will see the black line 50m past the finish line on the banking.
    You start slow abiut 18mph , move up the track over first lap gradually speeing up, then on 2nd lap 1st bend ride just below the fence, speed up then on 2nd bend and up to the fence, out of saddle at end of bend and go for it and just before finish line startt coming down to hit the 200m line on the black and hold the black all the way to the line so your flat out for probably 300/350m.
    Quite tiring !!
    I have video clips of Becky James and Lewis Oliver doing them but to big to put on net as I did them in HD !!

Jason Kenny is the fastest ever man 2 in a team sprint with 12.55 for the Olympics in Beijing. NO ONE has done an 11 second flying 250 lap
  • oldwelshman
    Pross, the flying times are for 200m, you will see the black line 50m past the finish line on the banking.
    Quite tiring !!

Jason Kenny is the fastest ever man 2 in a team sprint with 12.55 for the Olympics in Beijing. NO ONE has done an 11 second flying 250 lap
    Thought so :)
    I just checked results and only the french chines and Germans got below 13secs for lap 2.
    I was surprised to see Edgar and Hoy both just over 13 secs so guess thats why they did not make final :cry: shame after Kenny starting well.