CAS uphold Mekons ban

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cas-uph ... r-positive

I wonder if he'll bother trying to come back.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    At flippin' last

Sets a precedent for extending regional bans that won't be welcome news in the Valverde household
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:

Why not? Ricco's back, Vino's back, Rasmussen's back, Mancebo's back, Perez is back, Guttieriez is back, Sevilla's back. Even Floyd sort of is. All unrepentant dopers who continue to deny. The only ones that don't return are those that spit in the soup. Where's Jaksche? (Dis) honorable exception being Der Kaiser of course; but once his peers have retired, he's gonna hock a big one into the pages of a tell-all biography.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:

"with the start date of the ban pushed back to August 28, 2008 - a ruling that makes him eligible to race by the end of this year."

Given that its only 8 months away i think its as near to a certainty he will ride again
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Ricco didn't deny.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Ahhh, but the Mekon is a bit like the Chicken. He's left a bad taste because he comes across as so creepy rather than what he did.

He might come back but I don't think there will be a queue to sign him up.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    wanna bet?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    dulldave wrote:
    Ricco didn't deny.

He told some truth, but not all. Did he really not use CERA in the 08 Giro?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Part of the ban length (although I believe 2 years should be the bare minimum) should be based on the offender having to make a clear public statement about the extent of what they did, when, how and what, no omission or vague skirting round the key issues. If there's no sign of genuine remorse, like a court the sentence should reflect that. Riders that show little or no remorse should receive a 5 year ban for the first offence. Either the sport is serious about PED or it's not, and sadly the feel coming from the ASO now is that they're no longer that interested in what they probably perceive as self inflected damage.
  • Tusher wrote:
    wanna bet?
    sadly, no. It's not even his first offence. He got off on a technicality a few years previously.
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).