Bike deals at Halfords

barrie2206
barrie2206 Posts: 6
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I know there is alot of bad thing said on here when it comes to halfords some of which I have to agree with, however it is worth keeping an eye on their sales this time of year.

On sunday I bought a Kona Cinder Cone in their sale for £250 ( usualy £500 )Total bargain for a good spec bike with a good light upgradeable frame.

So if your looking to get started in mountain biking your local halfords may be a good bet for a bargain this time of year.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be wary of some of their other half price specials though, in which the RRP was a joke.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    the RRP of the Cinder Cone is actually £685 (according to Wiggle) so you got a very good deal

Not all Halfords deals are what they appear to be as they frequently inflate the price before a sale to make it look like a bigger saving than it actually is

ie £300 bike, price goes up to £400, then drops to £250, making it look like a £150 saving, but it's only a £50 saving.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I knew the price of the cindercone selling online at most retailers was around £445 - £550 so i knew i was getting a genuine good deal when i saw it. plus i have always wanted to try a kona so a good win all round.

I have heard the cinder Cone frame is a good upgradable frame is this the case ?
    I know the dart 3 forks will need upgraded after a year or so, so im prepared to do that.

Seems a good light bike with hydraulic brakes!!

Just though id give halfords a positive post for a change. Mind their techies are pretty useless in my experience so would give everything a good tighten once you get home or take to your LBS for a check over
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Andy_B wrote:
    the RRP of the Cinder Cone is actually £685 (according to Wiggle) so you got a very good deal

Not all Halfords deals are what they appear to be as they frequently inflate the price before a sale to make it look like a bigger saving than it actually is

ie £300 bike, price goes up to £400, then drops to £250, making it look like a £150 saving, but it's only a £50 saving.

This doesn't just happen at Halfords tho, the main culprits for this kind of thing are your local 'big name' supermarkets
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I got a £2100 Rocky Mountain Element 50 from Halfords on Saturday, reduced to £900!
    I got employee discount on that as well so £765, plus I used a C2w voucher so I'll get it for a lot less.
    Obviously it will be store specific on deals, but in the same store we have a Scandium Kona Dawg reduced from about the same for a similar sort of money, as well as some heavily discounted Kona Lisa's.
  • Sloper
    Sloper Posts: 141
    barrie2206 wrote:
    I knew the price of the cindercone selling online at most retailers was around £445 - £550 so i knew i was getting a genuine good deal when i saw it. plus i have always wanted to try a kona so a good win all round.

I have heard the cinder Cone frame is a good upgradable frame is this the case ?
    I know the dart 3 forks will need upgraded after a year or so, so im prepared to do that.

Seems a good light bike with hydraulic brakes!!

The aluminium Blast, Cindercone and Caldera frames are identical and their reputation is so good that they won't be embarrassed by any upgraded components.
    You're right about the Dart forks; they weigh a ton! I've put RS Reba SLs on my Kona, and also XTR/XT brakes, lighter stem and seatpost, custom built wheels, better seat etc. An SLX chainset is next 8)
  • Andy B
    Cheshley I am well aware that this is a common practice throughout the retail trade, unfortunately not everyone is and a lot of folks fall for the BS discount.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Salsa wrote:
    I got a £2100 Rocky Mountain Element 50 from Halfords on Saturday, reduced to £900!
    I got employee discount on that as well so £765, plus I used a C2w voucher so I'll get it for a lot less.
    Obviously it will be store specific on deals, but in the same store we have a Scandium Kona Dawg reduced from about the same for a similar sort of money, as well as some heavily discounted Kona Lisa's.

Do you know if they have any rocky mountain altitudes reduced? Cant seem to find any rocky mountain bikes on their website
  • Andy B
    Omar Little halfords can order in almost any bike for cycle to work, but do not show them on the website, only the brands they normally stock.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    My bike wasn't ordered in special for me, it was left over from a standalone bikehut/cycle republic store which stocked R.M/Van Nic/Voodoo/Merida/Kona but then turned back into a normal Halfords. I'm not sure if they ever stocked the Altitude, the only way to see is to go into store & get someone to search the system for that bike & then do a nationwide search to see if any stores have any left in stock. These premium bikes are not available on the web site.
  • MTB-NCL
    MTB-NCL Posts: 49
    Yeah, i bought a GT aggressor xc2 reduced from £500 to £350, they do have good deals, but that's all i'll be buying from there.
    Specialized rockhopper Pro Disc
  • I paid £130 for a 2008 voodoo canzo frame with mc3.3 rear shock last month - warranty and all!!! :D
  • If you buy a decent brand from a large halfords, you should be alright, generally steer clear of the Carrera's and GT's, I won't even start on Apollo's. Just beware the aftermarket help you'll get will be very poor (in my experience).
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Carreras and GTs are their best value bikes! And routinely win bike tests in the mags.
  • thomasali
    thomasali Posts: 179
    Halfords are dropping some of their branded bikes. So thats probably the reason for the big reductions.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I've got a fury and it's great (the tora forked one) and they aren't skinny whippet racers but damn good for the money and the kit on em

you can even have a car run into the back of them at slow speed :shock: bumper vs seat stays and the car came off worse
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight