Oldest bike component still in use

2»

Comments

• colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    I still have a Raleigh Alaska and Carerra Absolute
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    My daily commuter (20+ year old RockHopper). Almost all parts are original. The handlebars aren't because the originals got wrapped around a tree. The grips aren't. The rack and guards are recent after-market additions. Apart from that it's all original apart from brake pads & tyres.

Not sure exactly when I bought it. Somewhere around 1988-1990.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • fcumok
    fcumok Posts: 283
    My brother in law still uses the bottle cage off his Raleigh Lizard. Don't have anything too old from my bikes. Wish i'd kept more really :(
  • still hav the shogun trailbreaker from 1993 and my mums one as well both derailers, thumb shifters, handle bars, stem, and seatpost still going. my frame still used to get riden once a week proper mtbing, and mums one has been relegated to a shopping trolley but still occaisionly got out as a spare for mine. often used to wonder why I brought a bike with suspension and 27 gears, don't regret disk brakes though.
    trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    Well that seems fairly conclusive: late 80s/early 90s stuff was built to last. When I got my BB changed at the last service I mentioned that it was 12 years old so didn't owe me much. The chap smiled and said, "Don't expect the new one to last as long." Downspeccing to maintain a price point - we'll file that one under Problems with Market Forces.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    I have some 1960s Cinelli bars, but the joker on ebay failed to mention the massive deep chips all over the bars. So these are going back... shame as they're otherwise gorgeous.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I have a 1993 "straight block" 7-speed cassette on Teh Pig. :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,420
    Roastie wrote:
    I have a 1993 "straight block" 7-speed cassette on Teh Pig. :)

Campag 11-speed? Pah! 7 is all you need!

BTW Roastie, one original part of my bike, the seatpin, is definitely in need of replacement, but is seized. I noticed that you have some experience of Sheldon's method no. 15 - any tips?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • My front wheel came off an old Carlton Criterium I got off ebay - not sure of the year, but I'd guess probably mid-'70s? I'd be surprised if it's under 30 years old. Nice wheel.
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • My 'good' bike is a mid/late 70's Raleigh 531 frame with Sun Tour Cyclone transmission dating from about 1976 and still running smoothly :)