my thighs are beginning to look silly

VinceEager
VinceEager Posts: 247
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
it occured to me this morning whilst getting into the shower, that my thighs are enormous and begining to look totally out of proportion to the rest of my body.
more so this year than ever before. i'm not training more or harder - the only difference is that i've been riding fixed this winter.
although i'm spinning nicely on the flats, hills are a more of a grind than they would be geared so i guess i'm doing more power work than i would be otherwise if riding geared.
the idea of the fix was, (as well as low maintenence benefits) to spin more and benefit from winter aerobic excercise - what i didnt want to do was bulk up my legs with power work.

the point of all this is this:

am i drawing the right conclusions above?
will power work always involve adding muscle bulk?
...the bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles per gallon...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you riding faster?

If so, then there's no issue!
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    If they're making your pecker look small i'd stop riding fixed :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    The question is, are you getting within 12 of NapD on the power scale? If so you are doing too much power training :lol:
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I have the same problem. I thought riding fixed all the time would be great cardiovascular exercise and a way to lose excess fat. Wrong. Now I've got massive legs from hauling that bulk around and haven't lost any fat!
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    You wanna think yourself lucky you're not Tom Platz...now that's out of proportion.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/1389292_f520.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sampras38 wrote:
    You wanna think yourself lucky you're not Tom Platz...now that's out of proportion.

Thats just silly. Bet he wins the Dads race at school sports day though. :wink:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sampras38 wrote:

I remember Tom. He was a monster.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    pst88 wrote:
    I have the same problem. I thought riding fixed all the time would be great cardiovascular exercise and a way to lose excess fat. Wrong. Now I've got massive legs from hauling that bulk around and haven't lost any fat!

Maybe you need to use a smaller gear? Might have to spin hard on the flat but unless you're in an extremely flat area compromise is needed hence the invention of gears! :lol:
  • Are you sure that the rest of your body hasn't simply shrunk?
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • let me get this straight, you are a cyclist complaining that their legs are too big? in my book it is a good thing, having said thatt i am built like a stick and so can not relate to your problem whatsoever, it has however made me think about going fixed
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    it has however made me think about going fixed

Agreed , it's a great advert for riding fixed. Think I might add to my stable.

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • pst88
    Pross wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

Maybe you need to use a smaller gear? Might have to spin hard on the flat but unless you're in an extremely flat area compromise is needed hence the invention of gears! :lol:
    You're right! I've bought a geared road bike now for that exact reason. Keeping the fixed gear bike for low maintenance commuting and the gear bike for extended weekend trips.
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    sampras38 wrote:

he should have bought a belt.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    At 5ft 6ins with 26" thighs, my missus thinks I'm a Circus Freak too!!!!
    Don't worry bout it...women dig big thighs - well that's my theory anyway.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Splottboy wrote:
    Don't worry bout it...women dig big thighs - well that's my theory anyway.

Certainly seems to be the case with my new lady friend...
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I ride fixed in the winter - cant say my thighs get bigger ? I reckon some people are better at puttiing on muscle mass than others. And I think Tom may have had a little help ??
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    cougie wrote:
    I ride fixed in the winter - cant say my thighs get bigger ? I reckon some people are better at puttiing on muscle mass than others. And I think Tom may have had a little help ??

he would have been better off spending his money on a belt.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    VinceEager wrote:
    it occured to me this morning whilst getting into the shower, that my thighs are enormous and begining to look totally out of proportion to the rest of my body.
    Join the club :oops:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    It's part of being a cyclist.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Mine have got significantly smaller as i've lost weight.

It's genetics and the type of riding you do that determines your leg size. Compare climbers to sprinters and you'll see what I mean.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I'm neither a good climber or good sprinter, I'm in-between. Does that mean huge thighs? The physio seems to think I have huge thighs, and I remember like 2 years ago in the shower and noticed how big they where getting, but I got used to it and they're bigger now, I'd not say huge tho, you'd hardly notice it when I have jeans on. They're becoming abit more veiny slightly though, slowly noticing veins stating to become really visible.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    You know you've got huge thighs when you're trying on a pair of trousers and they get jammed halfway on. You then topple out of the cubicle, through the curtain and into the main part of the shop while trying to get them off.

Protip: Always wear your Sunday undercrackers when trying on trousers.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, I had this problem as a kid too. Then in my early 20's when I was fit, REALLY FIT, I had a 26ins waist and had to buy 32ins waist trousers and get the waist taken in 6ins to get them over my thighs.
    Luckily, I worked at a posh clothes shop, so my Luomo silk lined Italian trousers were all altered for FREE! Saved me a bloody fortune.
    Now...where did that 26ins waist go???
  • i call ballsh1t i fail to beleive you had a 26ins waste but legs to big you had to get bigger trousers, your upper body wouldnt be able to cope with the strength of you legs
  • it'll definitely be down to pushing a s/s gear up hills - basically the ride becomes a resistance session resulting in increased strength and (depending on diet/genetics) thigh girth. i'm a skinny git but since properly concentrating on cycling i've had to give up skinny jeans and move up to 501s. still skinny in cycling terms (but i prefer climbing anyway) but got plenty of definition and veins going on so i'm happy :)
    "scalare come se al grembo degli dei" (apologies to any Italain speakers if the grammar/spelling is off)
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Everyone in my family has huge thighs. I am the only one who rides bicycles. In my case, therefore, I am following my genes where they want me to go! :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• beckcd
    beckcd Posts: 22
    Freehub, was the physio in the shower with you?
  • pst88
    Does anyone else have stretch marks on their thighs? At least I think they're stretch marks. Is this a common occurrence?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    pst88 wrote:
    Does anyone else have stretch marks on their thighs? At least I think they're stretch marks. Is this a common occurrence?
    :?: :shock: :?

Are your legs noticably longer?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    pst88 wrote:
    Only if you're constantly put on the rack.

Don't torture yourself :wink: