1st service @ Evans, would you bother ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited February 2010 in MTB general
My 1st FREE service is due later today at Evans in Reading.

However, i've actually got no issues with the bike at all. Is it really worth me bothering taking it over there and wasting an hour then getting stuck in traffic ?

Apart from the obvious checking of wheels/hubs etc for free play do they generally go into major details or just check if you report a particular issue with something ?

Comments

• They just tighten cables etc.

If its something you can do yourself I wouldn't bother.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    ^ +1, especially if you have no issues with the bike
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but then again there maybe something that they have to check.

also read the warranty conditions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    nicklouse wrote:

also read the warranty conditions.

Nothing i can find in my little pack that's regarding the Warranty mate to be honest. I've had a good look just now and can find nothing.

All that's in the welcome pack thing is my receipt, fork manual, brakes manual and shock manual.
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    If you have a LBS closer take it there instead. If you visit them regularly they might do it for free or really cheap. I used to take my old bike there (bought somewhere else). Check before hand though...
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    you give them an excuse to say "ah, but if you'd bought it in for the free scheduled service then we would have checked that and it wouldn't have become an issue and your fork would still be attached to your bike instead of in bits in your left hand" or something

Getting it done ticks a box. Up to you but I'd let them do it, even if all they do is stand it in the back of the shop for 2 hours then give it back to you.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    weeksy59 wrote:
    However, i've actually got no issues with the bike at all.
    No need to take it in. Most warranty claims are dealt with on a component-by-component basis and the warranty on drivetrain parts is minimal - 3 months tops.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    yes i would bother.
    as the first service from evans is free if you've bought the bike from them.
    and it was a condition of my bikes warranty that it be carried out.
    and it counts in your favour if there's a problem at a later date.
    considering the above the only reason not to is lazyness. :wink:
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    For the sake of dropping the bike off for half a day, I can't see why you wouldn't bother.

Also, the 'window' for the free service is pretty negotiable, so maybe leave it until it really needs the service (check with Evans first though)?
  • So take into consideration those of us who buy bikes from etailers like CRC or Wiggle
    We don't "have" to take them in for a check over or service.
    If the bike has no issues and you're fairly technically capable lof doing routine and general maintenance yourself, don't bother taking it into Evans.
  • I never take any of my bikes in for 1st service as a) the shops were always too far away, and b) I can do it myself.

But if either of the above points didn't apply, yes I would take it in
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    How on earth does not taking it into its first free "service" .. wouldnt even call it a service as they probably just stare at the bike, effect the manufacturers warranty?

What about all those people that buy online or through another LBS and dont have this free "service" available? If its part of the warranty terms then fair enough but I'd ring up said manufacturer and ask them if it does effect it...

I think its scare mongering by Evans into getting you to come in show what a wonderful job they havent done and hopefully sign upto their annual maintenance packages, Halfords do the same. ;)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It is so they can tell you that you need new brake pads and cables and gear cables, and a new chain, which in Evans world, means a new cassette as well!
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    alfablue wrote:
    It is so they can tell you that you need new brake pads and cables and gear cables, and a new chain, which in Evans world, means a new cassette as well!
    +1, but it is free, and you can ignore anything they try to fob you off with that you know isnt true.
    i would take it in.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • biff55
    Briggo wrote:
    How on earth does not taking it into its first free "service" .. wouldnt even call it a service as they probably just stare at the bike, effect the manufacturers warranty?

it was a condition clearly stated in the manufacturers hand-book i recieved with the bike, nothing to do with evans.
    what about all those people that buy online....

tough sh*t.
  • mine is due this weekend to evens glasgow, they told me drop it off at 11 and get it back at 3
    hates dog walkers
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I wouldn't bother if you kno what you're doing. I took my Stumpy into Leisure lakes for it's free six week 'service'. Came back in a worse state than when it went in. Brake pads not inserted correctly and they lost the service record they provided when a I bought the bike (it was tied to the bars with an elastic band). Really not worth the effort.

My latest two bikes didn't get a free six week service, well actually the Kinesis did but then I built that from scratch. The Cayo road bike from Wiggle certainly didn't. Having experienced Wiggle's idea of ready to ride out of the box there was no way they were going near the bike, gears indexed by a monkey one thinks.

Thefree check is a marketing ploy to try and build some loyalty with them. Unless you are completely new to bikes it isn't worth it IMHO.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Briggo
    biff55 wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

it was a condition clearly stated in the manufacturers hand-book i recieved with the bike, nothing to do with evans.

tough sh*t.

I think you missed the point the OP is making, he's asking whats the consequences of not taking it into that initial waste of time "service" thats basically a bike checkup not an actual service.

A proper service is a different thing to a free checkup service.
  • biff55 wrote:

tough sh*t.

Attitude is contagious, I pity those who catch yours. I mean sorry for the advice, perhaps you should consult a medium next time and not a public Forum..
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thje first free service can be valuable for newcomers. Thopugh they should eventually learn the basics themselves.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Thje first free service can be valuable for newcomers. Thopugh they should eventually learn the basics themselves.

You been on the red again ;)
  • I think the first serveice (coffee break) is a good idea. I took my Cube in and the lad who took my bike off me was very nice, I gave them a list of the things I wanted looking at. I returned to find that they had done what I asked and even replaced the rounded off bolt on a lock on grip. ( a swap from an old bike).

I got the majority of the bike on cyclescheme so I thought it best to at least use the "free" service. However I cant see the shop being used often for much. 25 miles and my lbs who for some reason can't sell me a bike I am/was looking for price match on every other purchase, do bits and bobs for nawt as opposed to me spending £15+ on a tool so I can do it myself.

So IMO get it looked at by Evans, give them a list of anything that you arent happy with and hope its still rideable when you pick it up.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • biff55
    Attitude is contagious, I pity those who catch yours. I mean sorry for the advice, perhaps you should consult a medium next time and not a public Forum..

eh ? sorry dont follow.
    the point i made was folk who buy a bike from a shop often get free initial build up of bike , help with rider set up , and free quick service.
    those who buy a bike from an internet retailer mostly do not , but often get a lower price.
    no point complaining when you've made that choice.
  • biff55
    Briggo wrote:

I think you missed the point the OP is making, he's asking whats the consequences of not taking it into that initial waste of time "service" thats basically a bike checkup not an actual service.

if your worried about the concequences of missing that FREE service , dont miss it.
  • Briggo
    biff55 wrote:

eh ? sorry dont follow.
    the point i made was folk who buy a bike from a shop often get free initial build up of bike , help with rider set up , and free quick service.
    those who buy a bike from an internet retailer mostly do not , but often get a lower price.
    no point complaining when you've made that choice.

No one was complaining about not getting any free checkup for buying online etc, read what people have said.

The point being made was, how can it effect the warranty like you said it does if you dont get the checkup done... which is why I pointed out you must be getting confused between an actual service and the free checkup to make sure none of the bolts have come loose post sale.
  • biff55
    i understand what your saying pal , but how good / bad / thorough / slack the service is
    not the issue.
    get it done and your covered for any warranty issues that may arise.
    and the only reason for not doing this is "cant be arsed" , not a strong arguement to get
    piece of mind.
  • supersonic
    Not having the free service should not invalidate any guarantee - if in doubt, check with the retailer.

But the service can often go beyond just a simple bolt check - may involve readjustment of gears, bearing checks, bleeding of brakes (if necessary), and general checkovers of parts.
  • biff55
    supersonic wrote:
    Not having the free service should not invalidate any guarantee - if in doubt, check with the retailer.

But the service can often go beyond just a simple bolt check - may involve readjustment of gears, bearing checks, bleeding of brakes (if necessary), and general checkovers of parts.

some of those check items are quite important , yes ?
    so theres no point not having it done for piece of mind when its free.
    thats the point i've tried to make all along.
    sorry , just think the topic is a no-brainer.
  • supersonic
    Unless you can do them yourself ;-)
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    biff55 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

some of those check items are quite important , yes ?
    so theres no point not having it done for piece of mind when its free.
    thats the point i've tried to make all along.
    sorry , just think the topic is a no-brainer.

i'm really confused now? it's a free service, that's a service not a quick check! why wouldn't you take it to be done? they may spot a crack in your frame or potential problem with the bike that you may not have noticed that could cause you heartache further down the line..oh and did i mention..it's FREE!! i agree with biff55 the only reason not to take it is lazyness..