The possible Oz PT team

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... -2011.html

That's all we need. Then the press can hype up a huge rivalry between the teams.

Not sure which Australians would go - I don't think Cuddles would ever fit into that kind of setup. They could get a few guys from Sky I suppose. Not Hendy though, I'd hope he's a proper Kiwi and has enough dignity left to not ride for a Oz team :wink:
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Can you imagine the whingeing? :wink:

Why not, there are some Aussie brands that could do with some more profile in Europe. But it would need to be a patient operation to bring on young talent, rather than a sudden thing. A lot of good Aussie talent is placed in other teams and getting them to join the same team is going to be hard. Whether it's outbidding Katusha's petrodollars to land Robbie McEwen or trying to get JV to release Jack Bobridge from his contract with Garmin, it'll be hard work.

Still, it's got to be good news if its a credible set up.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Kléber wrote:
    Why not, there are some Aussie brands that could do with some more profile in Europe.

162198-vegemite-isnack-2-0.jpg

:wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    By the time it gets off the ground, Robbie will be the mentor/DS.

Just imagine the fear that the Oz train will strike into the hearts of the other sprinters once McEwen's taught them everything he knows. It'll end up like a rugby scrum.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    If the Australians want to get all their riders back from other squads, Sky will be in a proper fix. Their lead-out team for 2011 will be made up of Malcolm Elliot and some third-cat on work-placement.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Oz Chief
    Oz Chief Posts: 176
    What kind of Australian company could sponsor a team? I've never been to Europe.

I would have thought Qantas could get some value. Fosters probably could have 20 years ago.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I really don't give a XXXX what type of sponsor they find.
  • Oz Chief
    Oz Chief Posts: 176
    Tusher wrote:
    I really don't give a XXXX what type of sponsor they find.
    boom-tish
  • Kléber
    Fosters produce more wine than beer, they would like to publicise their brands in Europe like Lindemans, Stag's Leap, Wolf Blass and Penfolds. Plus the Australian tourist board might be interested. Visit Australia - Fosters would work.

It's a chance for a new approach. Instead of the mood lighting on the Sky bus, they could hire a sheep truck with a portable "dunny" on a trailer behind and the DS could sit behind the wheel of a ute during races. Bonzer!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Hog's breath cafe? Don't know what it is but I've seen it on the V8 supercars and I'm intrigued.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I think we all know what we really want.

A team sponsored by Neighbours!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    edited January 2010
    Deleted - double post
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Kléber wrote:
    It's a chance for a new approach. Instead of the mood lighting on the Sky bus, they could hire a sheep truck with a portable "dunny" on a trailer behind and the DS could sit behind the wheel of a ute during races. Bonzer!

It's the barbies in the feed zone that are gone to cause problems. And attaching cleats to flip-flops isn't going to be easy either.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • This is supposedly the long range plan for Fly V Aust. I think 2012 was the year they we hoping to make the Protour. Will probably need a new naming rights sponsor as highlighting a domestic airline to an international audience doesnt quite make sense.
  • iainf72
    Unsheath wrote:
    This is supposedly the long range plan for Fly V Aust. I think 2012 was the year they we hoping to make the Protour.

2009's winningest rider is on Fly-V I think, and most of his victories came in the US.
  • No one pointed out yet that Sky are essentially Australian owned? Well owned by an Australian anway.
  • Kléber
    Murdoch is a US citizen these days. BSkyB is part-British but Sky is a mix of UK and Italian assets and News Corp is a US business in New York.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Unsheath wrote:
    This is supposedly the long range plan for Fly V Aust. I think 2012 was the year they we hoping to make the Protour.

2009's winningest rider is on Fly-V I think, and most of his victories came in the US.

Winningest? Winningest??? And you're from London? Shame on you Sir, Shame.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

It's the barbies in the feed zone that are gone to cause problems. And attaching cleats to flip-flops isn't going to be easy either.

Ah, casual xenophobia... can't beat it! :lol:

Giro will have to create a new helmet with corks hanging off it.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    iainf72 wrote:
    Unsheath wrote:

Iain is "Cuddly Bob's" friend now, Dave. I mean Pete.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Unsheath wrote:

Iain is "Cuddly Bob's" friend now, Dave. I mean Pete.

:? That must be nice for him.
  • iainf72
    More about the shape the team might take

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/mom ... -n430.html?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    iainf72 wrote:
    More about the shape the team might take

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/mom ... -n430.html?

Pretty old school really. Similar to Garmin in the way they started out small, riding continental races, then built from there.
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:

Pretty old school really. Similar to Garmin in the way they started out small, riding continental races, then built from there.

Yep. It's an approach I kind of like. I think the problem if you go in at PT level right away is you need a certain calibre of riders and it's difficult to get a bunch of guys to develop.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Dick Smith can always sponsor an Aussie team and go head to head with the Shack.

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Thongs!