Lake District Recommendations?

Muckypup
Muckypup Posts: 51
edited January 2010 in Routes
I'm looking to take the other half to the Lake District for a few days but neither of us have been before so have no idea where to go. Somewhere for a few leisurely rides and some nice sites to drive to in the Outback would be good. My girlfriend is pregnant so it will need to be very easy going rides, or even just walks. Oh, and it needs to be relatively cheap too, as the baby's cleaned me out before it's even born!

Anyone have any recommendations?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looking for Routes?

that is what the Routes area is for.

Moved.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Not necessarily a route, just somewhere nice to spend a few days with a good B&B and some nice sites to visit and roll the bikes around
  • I'd recommend Keswick myself. Lovely town with lots of nice shops and places to eat (and 3 bike shops, one of which has a cafe). There is some nice walks to do locally, and a lot of riding locally. Walking along the old railway line (which is now a bridleway type of thing) is really pictoresque, plus there is a pub at the end of the walk.

Ambleside would be good too, but maybe a little bit more expensive than Keswick.
  • I'd recommend Keswick myself. Lovely town with lots of nice shops and places to eat (and 3 bike shops, one of which has a cafe). There is some nice walks to do locally, and a lot of riding locally. Walking along the old railway line (which is now a bridleway type of thing) is really pictoresque, plus there is a pub at the end of the walk.

Ambleside would be good too, but maybe a little bit more expensive than Keswick.

If you want better value avoid the Keswick / Ambleside / Grassmere / Winderemere / Bowness honey pots like the plague. you will get ripped off like the rest of the sheep. :twisted:

I would check out the Western Lakes - Coniston / Torver / Eskdale / Ravenglass. Some lovely b and b's for much better money. Great walking, leisurely or longer and some good short mtb / touring routes towards the coast. The pubs are more welcoming and less over run and the food generally better through greater competition for less punters. There are loads of other things to see and do as well and the option of the Solway coast isnt far away. Just my 2 pence but living here for 30 years gives you a reasonable insight.

http://www.cumbria-the-lake-district.co.uk/
  • what allmountain says west or southern Lakes for cheapness
    Been a visitor fo over 30yrs :lol:
    Grange over Sands is nice, looking out over Morcambe bay. Not far from Grizdale for a biking/walking fix and some good food at the new visitor centre. There is the old railway and a sealife centre nearby.
  • Stay around Coniston, Hawshead or even Broughton-in-Furness. Your surrounded by trails walks & pubs!!