Section 59 / 60 confiscation of motor vehicle

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I read a post on here about a chap who was hassled by some chavs trying to take his lights off him (he caught it on camera and showed it to the police) and the boys in blue called at the car owner's house and cautioned him that his use of a vehicle was innapropriate and he could have it taken off him if he was caught again doing something silly. Is this something that the police can do of their own initiative, or does it still require witness statements/court appearances etc etc? Any comments from the OP of the "give us your lights" thread in particular would be much appreciated.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    That was me....

I think it's about 3 reports against the driver, and then the car can be removed. I'm not that well up on the Section 50, but these incident's get logged. For example, if the driver got caught speeding, say, then this other incident or incidents may come up and give the police a 'history' of the driver's driving.......

TBH the police acted upon my report without having to see the video. They were very efficient about it.
  • salsajake
    salsajake Posts: 702
    fossyant wrote:
    That was me....

I think it's about 3 reports against the driver, and then the car can be removed. I'm not that well up on the Section 50, but these incident's get logged. For example, if the driver got caught speeding, say, then this other incident or incidents may come up and give the police a 'history' of the driver's driving.......

TBH the police acted upon my report without having to see the video. They were very efficient about it.

cheers, but they did give him a caution and ticking off for the first incident (being yours) didn't they? Presumably they didn't have to disclose any of your details as complainant when they went to have a word?

As I understand it there are 2 possible options - one is they serve a NIP on the driver, and then its court, witness statememts, cross-examination, faffing about. The other is this section 50/59/60 whatever which I think the police can just deal with on their own having taken the evidence themselves which should still serve as a stark reminder to a crappy-driving motorist to sort his act out, which is all you can hope for really even if you go down the court route.