Fox 32 Talas setup advice

dresbo
dresbo Posts: 129
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I'm hoping someone might have some advice for me.

I've got a set of '08 (I think) Fox talas (110-140) which I'm having trouble getting right. The bike is a Yeti 575 (old style)

I think the problem is the air pressure. I weigh 11 1/2 stone. If I put what I think feels the right amount of air in them, I notice that during a descent they will slowly get compressed down so I only get the top third of the travel. I can recreate this on the flat by compressing them and keeping my weight forward slightly on the bike. They stay compressed as if there's too much stiction or something. There's no air leak.

If I put more air in, the ride feels quite harsh and I get very little compression over most stuff.

I'm sure its just a setup issue, but there are quite a few things that can be fiddled with (rebound, compression, lockout, air pressure,travel)

Does anyone run these, and if so, did you put in more or less air than the manual suggests? Any opinions?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    too much rebound and they are packing down?

turn all setting to minimum and see if it still happens.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dresbo
    They are packing down in a sense, but they stay packed down with my weight on the bike until I unweight the front even when I stop.

Maybe I'm just used to running my forks too soft and I should run them with more air and more rebound. My old forks were Marz 120 bombers and I never had a problem like this. They were coil on one side though.
  • nicklouse
    well set your sag. how much sag are you running?

being able to hold your fork with your body weight is nothing strange.

but from what i read when you remove the load they come straight back up? then they are not packing down.

Sag should be set at normal riding weight and normal/attack position.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    They sound OK to be honest. I was a bit shocked when mine came back from TFT after a full service, they seemed to be doing exactly what you're describing. think I'd just got used to them being very sticky and not moving much before (some of the 'O' rings had swollen.

Thing to watch for is if the travel adjuster starts to move on it's own, that's what happened to mine. Start a descent at 140mm, end up at 100m and over the bars. TFT fixed that for me too, wonderful people.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • dresbo
    stumpyjon wrote:
    They sound OK to be honest. I was a bit shocked when mine came back from TFT after a full service, they seemed to be doing exactly what you're describing. think I'd just got used to them being very sticky and not moving much before (some of the 'O' rings had swollen.

Thing to watch for is if the travel adjuster starts to move on it's own, that's what happened to mine. Start a descent at 140mm, end up at 100m and over the bars. TFT fixed that for me too, wonderful people.

I set the sag at around 1/3, which I presumed would be ok.

I think you might be right, and there's nothing wrong, it's just something I need to get used to.

The travel adjuster does seem to wind itself down sometimes. Perhaps a service would put my mind at ease.
  • nicklouse
    1/3 is too much really 20-25% would be what i would be expecting on that fork.
  • dresbo
    I'll try it with a touch more pressure and see how it feels.

I'm off to the mountains this weekend so it'll be a good time to test it. If it still feels wrong, I'll take it for a service.
  • nicklouse
    take the pump with you and play.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    llok on foxs website or try mojo.. they may and do have the correct presure for your weight,,, take this as a base to work around....
  • dresbo
    nicklouse wrote:
    take the pump with you and play.

Sounds more fun than the riding. :shock:
  • dresbo
    Just to follow this up.

Basically whoever said it was right. I had too little air in them. With them at the correct pressure they were stiffer than I'm used to, but over the big stuff they were awesome.

I think it's just a matter of a different feel. Thanks for all the advice.