Sponsored bike ride - You're doin' it right!

UndercoverElephant
UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.justgiving.com/CharlieSimpso ... ationTable

Young Charlie Simpson is seven years old and wants to help the victims of the Haiti earthquake by doing a five mile sponsored bike ride, seven laps of his local park. His goal was to raise £500, his current total is over £87,000!!

Well done that kid! :D

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Awesome. 5, and he's pushing £100,000.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Brilliant stuff - no excuse for the rest of us.

On a more cycnical note, Justgiving will be happy - they take a 5% fee.
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    crazy, had a look at it and then showed it to a mate 5 min later and it had gone up by a grand

Good work lad

Suppose I should cough up some cash.

*runs off to get wallet*
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Its deffo going viral for people wanting to add to the Haiti fund!

but crikey, my target for cycling to Rome is to raise a measly £500, need to up my game!
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    iPete wrote:
    Its deffo going viral for people wanting to add to the Haiti fund!

but crikey, my target for cycling to Rome is to raise a measly £500, need to up my game!

evidently you need to be seven years old :wink:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I think it's admirable that the publicity from this is raising shed loads of money, but exactly how hard is it for a seven year old to cycle five miles?

Instead of sponsoring the over-hyped sprog, give your money direct to the DEC or Red Cross.
  • No pressure then Charlie!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No pressure then Charlie!
    He did it yesterday apparently. Search BBC site for Charlie Simpson - I'm tied up...
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I think it's admirable that the publicity from this is raising shed loads of money, but exactly how hard is it for a seven year old to cycle five miles?

Instead of sponsoring the over-hyped sprog, give your money direct to the DEC or Red Cross.

well i know a few adults that would struggle to cycle 5 miles but thats not really the point is it. Anything that raises money for the cause is a good thing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Monkeypump wrote:

not entirely:

Our 5% fee goodness
    Charities pay a 5% fee on donations (which we take from the Gift Aid we reclaim) and in return we help them raise more money, more efficiently. By leaving the costly and time-consuming stuff to us, they can spend more time, energy and money on doing good.

Here’s what we’re busy doing for our 5% fee
    Running, monitoring 24/7 and constantly improving JustGiving’s technology so it can handle high levels of traffic while meeting the latest security and banking standards.
    Constantly creating new fundraising tools and services for charities, at no extra cost.
    Taking full responsibility for the Gift Aid we claim on charities’ behalf, being regularly audited by HMRC.
    Providing dedicated customer service for charities and their supporters, giving prompt and expert advice.
    Giving charities full access to their data, helping them track and analyse their fundraising success.
    Providing free training and support to charities (especially the small ones) on how to raise even more online.
    Giving you a clean, junk-free experience. We’ll never spam you, sell you anything or pass your personal details on to a third party. Ever.
    Here’s how we charge our 5% fee
    You donate £10 and we send it to your charity that week.
    We reclaim Gift Aid from the government (which takes a month), adding £2.82 to your donation.
    We take our 5% fee (+VAT) from the Gift Aid, with credit/debit card/PayPal charges, and send all the rest to the charity. So for every £10 you give, the charity gets almost £12, and they get it faster.
    Your donation £10
    Gift Aid + supplement £2.82
    Our 5% fee £0.64
    VAT @ 17.5% £0.11
    Credit card fee @ 1.45% £0.15
    Total cost to charity £0.90
    Total donation £11.92
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Monkeypump wrote:

not entirely:

Our 5% fee goodness
    Charities pay a 5% fee on donations (which we take from the Gift Aid we reclaim) and in return we help them raise more money, more efficiently. By leaving the costly and time-consuming stuff to us, they can spend more time, energy and money on doing good.

Running, monitoring 24/7 and constantly improving JustGiving’s technology so it can handle high levels of traffic while meeting the latest security and banking standards.
    Constantly creating new fundraising tools and services for charities, at no extra cost.
    Taking full responsibility for the Gift Aid we claim on charities’ behalf, being regularly audited by HMRC.
    Providing dedicated customer service for charities and their supporters, giving prompt and expert advice.
    Giving charities full access to their data, helping them track and analyse their fundraising success.
    Providing free training and support to charities (especially the small ones) on how to raise even more online.
    Giving you a clean, junk-free experience. We’ll never spam you, sell you anything or pass your personal details on to a third party. Ever.
    We reclaim Gift Aid from the government (which takes a month), adding £2.82 to your donation.
    We take our 5% fee (+VAT) from the Gift Aid, with credit/debit card/PayPal charges, and send all the rest to the charity. So for every £10 you give, the charity gets almost £12, and they get it faster.
    Your donation £10
    Our 5% fee £0.64
    VAT @ 17.5% £0.11
    Total donation £11.92

It's still 5% they take. And it is 5% of the £10 PLUS Gift Aid.
    To be fair though, it is probably a good deal, as they do a lot of work.

Good on Charlie.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Monkeypump wrote:

not entirely:

Our 5% fee goodness

Your donation £10
    Our 5% fee £0.64
    VAT @ 17.5% £0.11
    Total donation £11.92

Yup, read all that before I posted. TBH, I'm being critical of Justgiving because my other half does a fair bit of fundraising and found alternatives who actually take nothing at all.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Its better than giving through a chugger! Last time I checked they took as much as 100% of a years giving as a fee.. the amount of time justgiving saves on leg work must be immense in some cases.