Hello and a question

DomWint
DomWint Posts: 59
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi all

I'm new to the forum and wanted to say a quick Hi before I ask a question.

I've signed up for the Polaris Challenge in June and have a query about kit. I inherited a Trek 300 hybrid bike a while back and I was wondering whether you guys think it would be suitable for the challenge, or if I would be better served spending a couple of hundred quid on a decent secondhand MTB (I've seen a few Carrera and GT Avalanches on eBay at this sort of price).

I was planning on removing the mudguards and fitting chunkier tyres maybe.

If this sounds like a question from a complete amateur, that's because it is! :oops:

But hey, I've got six months to train and, really, how hard can it be? :D

Thanks
Dom

Comments

• joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    hi dom, where abouts are you from? your welcome ot come out riding with us? and then you may get more of a feeling for what you need.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • DomWint
    Thanks very much. Bit far away, though. I'm up in Saddleworth.

TBH, my brother-in-law talked me into it, he's a bit more keen than me, and more experienced. I know the best thing to do would be just to get out and ride a couple of routes to see if the Trek is going to be OK. Just wondered if my idea was totally daft or if it sounds feasible for a weekend's worth of off-roading.

The whole thing kind of ties in with my wanting to get fitter anyway but I doubt if I'll become more hardcore after the PC, unless it really whets my appetite. And I can't really afford silly money (by which I mean more than £200!) for a top-end bike.
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    I doubt it will be ideal.

You will be spending a long time in the saddle, the riding position, the saddle and the various components will have been chosen for cost and for a relativity short rides.

To get the bike comfortable I would suggest you would need to change the saddle and look and the stem and bars. position.

How is it size wise.

If it's in reasonable condition I would think that the components will hold together for the 12 or so hours of riding.

Personally I would try to get something second hand that would be more suited to the purpose.
  • DomWint
    Hi Womble

Thanks. As you've probably gathered, "ideal" is not really what I am looking for. Size-wise the Trek is fine. Never ridden it long enough to know, but presume comfort will be an issue regardless of bike?

Seems like I need to do a bit of experimentation before deciding. Think I'd rather spend a bit of cash on trek to get it up to scratch than buy another bike I may only get a weekend's use out of.

Suppose another option would be to hire, but then I wouldn't get the chance to get used to the thing before I set off.
  • fatwomble
    fatwomble Posts: 117
    DomWint wrote:
    Hi Womble

Thanks. As you've probably gathered, "ideal" is not really what I am looking for. Size-wise the Trek is fine. Never ridden it long enough to know, but presume comfort will be an issue regardless of bike?

Seems like I need to do a bit of experimentation before deciding. Think I'd rather spend a bit of cash on trek to get it up to scratch than buy another bike I may only get a weekend's use out of.

Suppose another option would be to hire, but then I wouldn't get the chance to get used to the thing before I set off.

The best bet would be to get the bits you need second hand, decent components are still ridiculously expensive.

Do get in plenty of riding before the event though, firstly to try out the bike and get it comfortable, secondly don't underestimate how strenuous 7 hours of riding in one day is. I have done the Wight Diamond / Big Wight (similar event) for the last 5 or so years, riding regularly a couple of times a week through out the rest of the year, yet I always feel shattered at the end (and to be honest part of the way through :D )
  • DomWint
    Ha, sounds about right. I've no doubt it will be hell on earth regardless of training.

Better get it out of the garage and get it ridden.

Thanks for all of your advice.