Glentress riding conditions

RichMTB
RichMTB Posts: 599
edited January 2010 in Routes
Went out on Sunday,

Still loads of snow.

The trails are all rideable up to the top car park, from there its hit and miss.

Pennel's Vennel and the two climbs that follow it are 90% rideable as is the long fireroad climb up to the start of Spooky Wood. The spooky wood climb is still under several inches of snow and the descent is just as bad with one or two fallen branches to make things more interesting. Super G isn't too bad but there is pretty deep snow lying on some of the berms. From Hit Squad hill onwards the trail becomes pretty much 100% rideable again.

Tough going but good fun!
Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey

Comments

• covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    Thanks for the update. I have been at carron valley over the weekend and thats almost compleatly free on the downhill if your nearby.
    hope ae is clear for the weekend!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    http://7stanes.blogspot.com/

There is a massive diversion at Ae cutting off a lot of the good bits of trail at the start.

Might be worth going a bit further to Mabie or Dalbeattie
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Broonster
    Broonster Posts: 440
    Going to try and give GT a bash on Friday this week. I'm having withdrawal symptoms it's been that long! :lol:

Bet the Hub shop & cafe are feeling the pinch, as their takings are bound to be waaaaay down recently :?
    Winter: Moda Nocturne
    Road: Cervelo R3
    'Cross: Ridley X-Night
    Commuter: Genesis Day One
  • Sodfoster
    Sodfoster Posts: 412
    I was thinking of heading down there too on Friday, still think ill give it a go.
    Dawes Tamark DX (RIP)

Cube Acid 2010 (RIP)

Saracen Zen 3 (RIP)

Giant Anthem X5

CdF

The whole white bike thing was just coincedence........
  • Broonster
    Sodfoster wrote:
    I was thinking of heading down there too on Friday, still think ill give it a go.

Might see you down there - I'll look out for a Cube bike :wink:

Weather looks decent for tomorrow, and the snow round my local forest has all but gone (and I live pretty high up, in an exposed area), so fingers crossed GT will be fine.

Can't wait! :D
  • sws
    sws Posts: 81
    Hi guys, I'm heading down to GT on Sunday, would love to hear from you about what the conditions are like tomorrow, expecially up at Spooky.

cheers
    2010 Trek 1.2
    2013 Merida Scultura Comp 903
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Just read an update on the Glentress Trails blog: http://7stanes.blogspot.com/

Looks like quite a few bits of trails are not that rideable at present. The pictures show quite a bit of snow/ice still there today.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Fastflo
    Fastflo Posts: 45
    I was down at Glentress on Wednesday,

went right round the red route

Spooky Wood is only part that is unrideable, push up and push down :(

Super G and all points down from that are virtually clear,

Fireroad up to bottom of Spooky climb clear, suggest turning off and just catching top of Super G,

Coffee and cakes just as good :D

nice to get the first run of 2010 in
  • Broonster
    Okay, was down at GT today. Everything (red/blue) is rideable, apart from Spooky Wood. I turned back on the switchback climbs up to Spooky Wood, as they are still covered in snow. The snow is also very hard-packed & icy, so is really tricky to cycle on. Apart from that, I did all the other red runs and some blue, all of which were great.

Just feels great to be back on the trails again after the past few weeks of snowy misery! :D
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited January 2010
    Was down there myself today... We didn't bother with spooky woods, there's not much point if you can't blast it IMO, so we cut up to the meteorite then down the blue a bit, down the bottom of secrets and lies (not the northshore, apparently it's all covered in snow and ice) , then back onto the red and black. The logging's stopped so XX and the B*tch are open again (and the Matrix and Lombard should you prefer, but Lombard's pish frankly). Secrets and Lies was riding great, some iffy snow on the traverses but it wasn't the usual swamp and all the features were pretty much clear. Great day's ride. Most of the trails are absolutely back to normal. Oh, there's a tree down on the entrance to the B*tch though, and on the fireroad after, and a half-fallen tree right before the exit, but you can pass those.

My mate Will did fall off 3 times on the fire roads though, some of those are a bit iffy :lol: Lots of wet ice on the stretch between the blue climb and the start of spooky climb, and some very hard refrozen snow elsewhere. Some of these were harder than the red :lol:

So, if anyone's there before Spooky melts, just do the old side of the red (or the black descents) then climb back up and do Pie Run, it's less climb than spooky woods climb but gives you better riding IMO, and it'll be closing again once the conditions improve for more logging.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • sws
    sws Posts: 81
    Excellent, thanks guys, looks like there's plenty fun to be had. Can't wait !!
    2010 Trek 1.2
    2013 Merida Scultura Comp 903