Coed y Brenin as first visit to Wales?

popstar
popstar Posts: 1,392
edited January 2010 in Routes
Planning a trip to CYB this weekend (30Jan-31Jan)' and would like to know conditions down there. Have to drive some good 6 hours. Don't want to be slapped in the face with closed trails and spend 2 days in hotel drinking away my sorrows! 
After lurking on forums and *mbwales* decided it would be my first ever ride in Wales, hope won't be dissapponted.

Any info, would be helpfull. 
What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Think it'll be mainly clear, as the very North had the worst weather, Wrexham etc.
    It's all but gone here, and CYB is 40 miles from us.
    Most of the trails are well weather protected and I've ridden there in snow/ice with no problems. Alternatively, the Marin might be better, though Penmachno has quite a few wooden bridges, which are very greasy when wet.
    Give CYB a ring first though...
  • We went 15/1 when many places were shut with snow and had absolutley no problems at all with conditions. All the snow had gone, the trails wen't too boggy and the visitors centre was open. I'm sure you will be fine.

It was my first trip to Wales MTBing and we all loved it at CYB. It was much more technical than I thought it would be for a trail centre (only done North Face before). You need to keep your wits about you as there is not much easy flowing downhill, it needs concentration but like I said, we loved it.
    I only fell off 4 times... luckily only 1 hurt :oops:

MBR & Beast are closed for tree felling. So is the forest cafe but that might be open again by this weekend.

We actually did part of MBR (we joined trail from a natural route so had no choice) and had to avoid a couple of stretches due to work - they are cutting down trees. But then joined Dragons back sections so did a bit of a mixed bag.

When we go back in the summer we'll drive to the centre and do Dragons back or possibly even the Beast, the natural trail to the centre meant we were knackered too soon, it's harder then you think!
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • popstar
    Sounds good. Forgot to tell, that I am coming with me wife ... that alone* makes me worry a bit. I still look brave in future as there should be some easier blue-red routes+XC fireroads sightseeing.Plz don't tell me I am going to wrong place for that. Hope weather will favour me at least.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    And avoid the Marin trail its dull in comparison to all other trails in the area... mile after mile of firetrack with a few k of good singletrack at the very end :(
  • popstar wrote:
    Sounds good. Forgot to tell, that I am coming with me wife ... that alone* makes me worry a bit. I still look brave in future as there should be some easier blue-red routes+XC fireroads sightseeing.Plz don't tell me I am going to wrong place for that. Hope weather will favour me at least.

Not sure what you're saying there, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Much of the climbing is on quite narrow fireroads which makes it a bit easier.
    The most technical bits were on the MBR part but you won't be doing that anyway, although "the beginning of the end" and "seven sisters" were interesting too...

Suppose it depends on how experienced your missus is. I don't want to put you off because it's a great place and I can't wait to go back, but we all said we were glad our mate thats just got a bike and only been out once was not with us as he would struggle. Also on the way back me and my mate went to look at knee pads...
    We wanted a challenge not just simple flowing track and we got just what we needed 8)
    Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...
  • popstar
    Thanks for nice and honest replies.

Guess for some hair raisers ... I bribe me wife with champagne'n'strawberies to stay inn, while myself doing business :D . Looking forward to technical stuff!!!