New bike - Spec differs from the online listing

vladtheexhaler
vladtheexhaler Posts: 49
edited January 2010 in MTB general
The other half has just bought herself a Cannondale F3 feminine from Edinburgh Bikes. The online specifications show that the bike has a Deore front mech

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 155c018340

but when washing it today I noticed that the bike has been supplied with an Altus mech!

I can't see anything on their website to the effect that specifications may differ from those shown and the 'legal' section is under development at present,

I'll give them a call tomorrow to see what the situation is but was wondering whether this is a fairly normal scenario or not?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and on the Dale site,

yes you have guessed it

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/09/ce/model-9FSW3.html

altus.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Fair enough. Doubt they're going to be kind enough to swap it over then!
  • Manufacturers have the right to change specifications without notification, so "being kind enough to swap it over" wouldn't quite fit into the equasion
    Plus think the perfomance of the bike would benefit greatly with a Deore front mech?
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I'd call EBC and ask them to give you either the alternate mech or something else. If they've advertised it, it's up to them to sort it or send you away empty handed. You're being cheeky though so be good humoured about it :)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I'm looking around for a new HT to replace my gary fisher and noticed on quite a few sites that they put up pictures of bikes that differ massively from the actual description.

Was mainly looking at Cube. This in particular http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=30526

I know it clearly states that the pic differs from the spec, but you see the price and the pic, you think I'll have that and then it's nowhere near what your looking at.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • I'd call and ask them for a Deore. IME they have excellent customer service and should happily swap.
    Even if they don't really want to they will know the legal position and pretend they want to.

If they refuse, and you are minded to insist, then the legal position is entirely in your favour:
    Manufacturers have the right to change specifications without notification

No they don't:

Sale of Goods Act 1979 Section 13:
    (1) Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied [condition] that the goods will correspond with the description.

and...
    I can't see anything on their website to the effect that specifications may differ from those shown and the 'legal' section is under development at present,

... don't worry about this because:

Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 Section 6
    (2) As against a person dealing as consumer, liability for breach of the obligations arising from...(a) [section 13, 14 or 15 of the 1979 Act (seller's implied undertakings as to conformity of goods with description or sample, or as to their quality or fitness for a particular purpose) ...cannot be excluded or restricted by reference to any contract term.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Atz wrote:
    I'd call EBC and ask them to give you either the alternate mech or something else. If they've advertised it, it's up to them to sort it or send you away empty handed. You're being cheeky though so be good humoured about it :)

they'd probably give you a deore mech but tell you to fit it yourself , which wouldn't be much fun for a novice.
    2 days later you return to shop with bike and mech and say "can you fit it please ? "
    "sure , £50 please "
    :D
  • biff55 wrote:
    Atz wrote:

they'd probably give you a deore mech but tell you to fit it yourself , which wouldn't be much fun for a novice.
    2 days later you return to shop with bike and mech and say "can you fit it please ? "
    "sure , £50 please "
    :D

I'd probably fit it myself rather than ask a novice to do it :wink:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Manufacturers can change the spec - but it is not them who are selling you the bike. The retailer sells you the bike, it is up to them to publish what they are selling!