Done it! - first SS commute tomorrow!

lawson_m20
lawson_m20 Posts: 97
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi there

Finally got round to putting on all of the bits I have been trawling the web for over the last month or so and have converted my old Stumpie M2 to SS (44:16). My LBS fitted my new Surly 1x1 forks and Avid J3 disc on the front (the original Manitou forks were all but rigid anyway but were heavy and had dropped an inch lower than when I bought the bike!).

Anyway, I had a quick test ride this afternoon and it was great... the ratio is fine and the ride was smooth and silent. Great! :D

Thanks to all those on here who have helped me out with their invaluable advice.

lawson_m20

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Great stuff, I am running a 44:16 SS hack bike for my commute. I occasionaly find the ratio makes me spin out, but it's much more important for me to get away from lights and nip around the city traffic quickly.

Have fun! I am sure you will enjoy the commute :D
  • I already do enjoy the commute and couldn't contemplate driving to work again...

I'm really looking forward to my extended route home though - I have a couple of hills that with panniers full of exercise books will be a bit of a challenge!
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    Good on yer lawson, hope it gives you many years of enjoyment and reliable transportation.

My SS commuter died before Xmas when I snapped the BB, I still miss it.

I'm now combing freegle to try and find enough bits to build a new one - watch this space!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!