Holland bike storage

solstice21
solstice21 Posts: 321
edited January 2010 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone cycled to Amsterdam and stayed overnight? I'm going to watch start of the tour with a friend and said we'd stay night in 'dam. Hoping to travel light and store bikes rather than lock up. I'm a bit worried about the rate of bike theft there.

Any help would be great!

Comments

• JHcp
    JHcp Posts: 144
    Bike theft is a problem in Amsterdam. There are several secure places to store your bike overnight for a small fee. There is one a the main railway station, for others ask at the VVV (Tourist Information office) they will have a list and can give you directions.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Been a couple of times..Every local bike locked with a massive chains says it all...Also bits can also go.so best also have an addiotional cheap cable lock for the wheels seat etc. also..Just chain mine outside to the hostel railings in sight of the main door.I think do yer best and what the hell..
    jc
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    A few car parks that I've seen have secure lockers that the whole bike goes in, don't know if all do.
    Have you tried asking your accomm?
  • Not booked room yet and places I've emailed to enquire.haven't got back yet!
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    If you have anything looking better than the local Amstedam rusty second-hand town bikes (which I suppose you have), do not lock it outside at night, not even securely attched to something with the heaviest lock. It will be gone, and unfortunately bike theft is part of life there - I know, I've lived in A'dam most of my life.
    Like JHcp says, there are secure storage locations. They're at all train stations, and are called 'Locker' with signs in dark and light green. There are train stations around city centre and one of them will definitely have easy tram links to where you're staying. Lock your bike securely even within those secure storage locations, but if you do so, you'll be fine. There are several other secure indoor bike storage schemes, but the ones at train stations are biggest and easiest to find and get to.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    http://www.hostelworld.com/hostels/Amsterdam
    This site provides an instant bookingservice and have hotels as well as hostels..Gives details of bike parking facilities too..
    jc
  • jc4lab - cheers for the link. Think we're gonna go to 1 of the stations if I can't get a response from accom. (and take my winter bike!) Cheers for advice and wisdom guys!!