KMC Missing Link vs Wippermann Connex

ratherbeintobago
ratherbeintobago Posts: 636
edited January 2010 in Workshop
Thick questions department - is there any noticeable difference between these, & if so, which is better?

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• KMC missing link in Shimano 10 speed virtually un-obtainable at the moment :cry:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Funny you should say that - I ordered some 10sp for the good bike in early Dec & they turned up late last week.

Andy
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Connex costs more, and doesn't like 11T sprockets if you put it on the wrong way round (it rides up on the lock ring).
    It's easier to find on a mucky chain, and possibly a little easier to undo.
  • Thanks for that. The Connex looked a bit easier due to the ramped slots (angle is oblique, hence asymmetry of the link) - nothing that can't be sorted with BFI though :-P

Andy
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Conex work well but must be fitted the right way round. I did not find them any easier to use than KMC. KMC are cheaper so now use them..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm happy with the KMC 10 speed links. Easy to join / separate by hand. Just waiting till they become available again before buying some more.
  • Chain Reaction just emailed me and said they were back in stock ! Must be physcic over there :shock:

• keef66
    Ribble have them too, and they are cheaper, but only if I can bump the order up to £50 so I get free delivery. CRC here I come!
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I prefer the Connex link I can always undo them without using any tools where as the KMC I often need a pair of pliers to get it undone. If you want a bargain Decathlon do a pair of quick links at a 1/4 of the price of the KMC link and as far as I can see there is absolutely no difference between the two.
  • Seen the Decathlon ones last weekend, but no 10 speed type :?

""Ribble have them too, and they are cheaper, but only if I can bump the order up to £50 so I get free delivery. CRC here I come!""

Yeah, it kills me to, I only wanted a five quid chain link, but I always end up spending more to get the "discount over 50 quid" :roll:

• blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    These Mavic chains are made by Wipperman and come with Connex links. I've fitted a few and good luck so far. £10 for a 10 speed chain can't be bad.

KMC works fine either, as does SRAM (although that is not removable in 10 speed) - as indeed does Shimano's pin system.

If you follow the instructions with any system and do it the right way around it will all work fine (in my experience.)
  • keef66
    I was considering those mavic chains but read some consistently bad reviews on Roadbikereviews.com. Went instead for the other 10 sp £10 chain by somebody I've never heard of. (logical, I know) No connecting link, but Shimano-esque joining pins supplied. I'll let you know how it compares to my 105 OEM chain if I get round to swapping it.
  • I'm wondering if Wipperman and / or KMC are getting rid of old stock, and not selling links for other manufacturers' chains. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for 10sp shimano Wipperman Connex links for months and my usual e-tailers (the big 'uns) never have them in stock.